REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Hit and Run Motorcycle Accident (Boundary & Linwood)

I thank that one of my dearest friend is still alive today, but it came too close, and I can't imagine the world without her. Please read and forward.

Link: Hit and Run Motorcycle accident!!

Quote:
Hello people of the internet!

Please listen to my story:

On Monday, December 17th 2012 at ~6:45pm, I was riding my motorcycle Southbound on Boundary Road and just passed Linwood (one block south of 18th, and 2 blocks south of Canada Way) when a black sedan sped through the T-intersection and cut in front of me with about 3ft to spare. I held my brakes and swerved to the middle lane to avoid contact, but ended up low-siding my bike. The bike stayed in lane 1, while I was launched into lane 2 into the path of oncoming traffic. My bike and I slid for approximately 30m before coming to a stop. The bike made lots of sparks, the gas tank ripped open and leaked gas all over the road, and I did a few tumbles before stopping. The skid opened up both my legs, but luckily my gear kept the rest of me safe. When I looked up, the car had slowed down (as though he was looking back) then when he/she realized they caused an accident, they took the next left (back the direction they came from) to avoid anyone seeing their license plate.

I have several witnesses who saw the whole thing, and they spoke with the police while I got into an ambulance. The witnesses were angels - one of them took pictures of the scene, another stabilized my neck and spine, and another rerouted traffic single-handedly. If anything, this incident gave me a lot of perspective on how people work. As a community we can get a lot done, to help each other out. We are all connected in some way, and I know that it is possible for us to find this person, especially if you live within 5km of the area. Please share this post with your friends. I don't want to even think about what would've happened if I was an elderly woman, a child, a disabled person, a mother, etc.

Paramedics said that if I didn't train the muscles around my right knee, my lower leg would have broken right off.

I was in a neck brace for just over 3 hours and had X-rays done at Burnaby General. Right now I am sore as ever and have gashes on both knees, and I can't bend them at all. I'm a personal trainer by vocation and need my body to do my work. This has already caused me several lost clients and has effectively ended my work for the rest of the year. I'm very thankful that I am alive, because if I were going 5kph faster I would have been in front of them, and my younger sisters wouldn't have an older sister. My spouse wouldn't have a spouse.

As a loving and peaceful Vancouverite, this is what I request:

Any witnesses, please call the police. You may have information in addition to the witnesses that I met on the scene.
If you know of the person who caused this, any information leading to his/her arrest will be rewarded dearly.

If you are the person who did this, turn yourself in before someone else does it for you. A hit and run is a felony - please face the (financial) consequences now, to prevent facing legal consequences later in life.

Thank you.
- Yet another victim of a hit and run in Vancouver.
Advertisement
greyfixation is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Glad your friend is okay, shows riders that it's important to wear the proper gear when riding. Never understood why people would just ride in a t-shirt or a hoodie
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Pretty stupid to ride in the winter. Especially a crotch rocket.
Posted via RS Mobile
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Is it still considered a hit and run if the motorcycle didn't actually hit the car that cut her off?
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Is it still considered a hit and run if the motorcycle didn't actually hit the car that cut her off?
The BC Motor Vehicle Act requires that a driver directly or indirectly, involved in an accident must:

Remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident.

Give all reasonable assistance to other people involved.

Produce in writing to the other driver, to anyone injured, or to a witness, a correct name and address, the name and address of the vehicle’s owner, the license number, and details of the insurance on the vehicle.

The Canadian Criminal Code states that a person who is involved in a car accident with another person, and tries to escape liability by failing to stop and give a correct name and address, commits a serious offence. Where a collision causes a death in circumstances that amount to murder, the fleeing driver may be facing punishment up to imprisonment for life.

Hit-and-Run Law | Road Rules
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
i was involved in something similar, my bike didnt make contact with the car, (if it had my injuries would have been far worse). it was ruled in my favour. as the car cut me off. (didn't check blind spot) i dont know , think they term it as shadow hit..or something.

op. hope ur friends get better and they find the driver.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
The BC Motor Vehicle Act requires that a driver directly or indirectly, involved in an accident must:

Produce in writing to the other driver, to anyone injured, or to a witness, a correct name and address, the name and address of the vehicle’s owner, the license number, and details of the insurance on the vehicle.

The Canadian Criminal Code states that a person who is involved in a car accident with another person, and tries to escape liability by failing to stop and give a correct name and address, commits a serious offence. Where a collision causes a death in circumstances that amount to murder, the fleeing driver may be facing punishment up to imprisonment for life.

Now try to prove the other driver knew the motorbike was involved in a collision after he entered the intersection, and fled with INTENT.

And as posted above.. not the smartest idea riding at this time of the year, especially when it has been crap rain for the past 2 weeks.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post

I didn't ask whether the car is at fault in causing the accident, I was just asking whether it's still considered a hit and run.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Glad to see your okay, I really hope that bastard gets caught. You get on two-wheels knowing that it can be your last ride, If that's too much risk then don't ride.
Also would have been useful if you had a go pro mounted somewhere.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
I didn't ask whether the car is at fault in causing the accident, I was just asking whether it's still considered a hit and run.
I think it would be difficult to prove that it was a hit and run. Never the less, the driver of the vehicle should have stopped to try and assist the motorcyclist to the best of his/her abilities.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
so let me get this right,

shit weather, cold tires, motorcycle.

brakes and swerves to avoid car that "cut her off" and fucks up, and claims its a hit and run?

get the fuck into a car when the weather is shit.

addtl edit: I feel for your friend being injured, but holy fuck I dont understand some rider's logic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
I STILL don't get it

ok i read it again and i take my comment back.

Last edited by noventa; 12-20-2012 at 11:52 AM.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Attitude much smoothie? Sounds like a "shadow hit" and guy did not even stop to help and sounds like they fled the scene lol, health is first and foremost so I hope ur friend recover well and get this guy for questioning
Posted via RS Mobile
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Pics of rider, personal trainer who rides a bike? Yes please.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
Need to Seek Professional Help

^^ yeah we need that,i just wanna picture out the whole scene so a detailed visual aid is very helpfull
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Why the fuck would you be riding a motorcycle when its this cold?
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #17

Given the sport tires that are on most bikes these days, and given that's a Ninja 250 which comes with absolute shit tires stock it's not a suprise he locked up and lowsided. No one should be riding a sport bike in this cold weather. Especially a novice. I imagine since he's riding a 250 he's a fairly new rider in which case I find it even more plausible that the accident could have been avoided. I've had a very similar situation happen to me, I had someone change lanes into me mid corner and lowsided my bike. They did not hit me, yes they caused the accident to a point but I also made the mistake of grabbing a handfull of front brake (I was a new rider at the time) and locked up. With my experience now, I likely wouldn't have crashed. They also took off and there was nothing I could do. Wrecked bike, wrecked gear and a bruised ego.

Bottom line in my opinion being a rider and involved in the M/C industry through work, seems like a mix of a careless driver, rider inexperience and wrong weather to be riding in are to blame. Unfortuante for your friend and hopefully he gets back on another bike but also learns a big lesson from this that no one cares about motorcycles on the road and to be an even more defensive rider on the street. These days I rarely ride in town and typically go out towards the interior or WA for a day ride on weekends to avoid the terrible Vancouver drivers.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Given the sport tires that are on most bikes these days, and given that's a Ninja 250 which comes with absolute shit tires stock it's not a suprise he locked up and lowsided. No one should be riding a sport bike in this cold weather. Especially a novice. I imagine since he's riding a 250 he's a fairly new rider in which case I find it even more plausible that the accident could have been avoided. I've had a very similar situation happen to me, I had someone change lanes into me mid corner and lowsided my bike. They did not hit me, yes they caused the accident to a point but I also made the mistake of grabbing a handfull of front brake (I was a new rider at the time) and locked up. With my experience now, I likely wouldn't have crashed. They also took off and there was nothing I could do. Wrecked bike, wrecked gear and a bruised ego.

Bottom line in my opinion being a rider and involved in the M/C industry through work, seems like a mix of a careless driver, rider inexperience and wrong weather to be riding in are to blame. Unfortuante for your friend and hopefully he gets back on another bike but also learns a big lesson from this that no one cares about motorcycles on the road and to be an even more defensive rider on the street. These days I rarely ride in town and typically go out towards the interior or WA for a day ride on weekends to avoid the terrible Vancouver drivers.
Except its a female rider and possibly the 250cc bike instead of 600+

Strong reading comprehension and bias
Posted via RS Mobile
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #19

Male/female whatever. I know some very good female riders. Gender does not matter when it comes to what I said. And it is in fact %100 a Ninja 250. Thanks for playing.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
looks like a ninja 250r

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Majority of Women who ride motorcycles have butterface.
Posted via RS Mobile
zx7rrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Why the fuck would you be riding a motorcycle when its this cold?
for me it would be that i am allowed to use the bus lane in north van getting on the lions gate. saving me at least 20 minutes of travel time. some times even an hour or more. and having proper gear I am not cold at all.
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Whoa!

I didn't know that you had posted this - thanks buddy!!!

Just to clarify things: On Monday it wasn't very cold and it wasn't raining where I was. I was getting an important parcel from UPS and upon dropping it off at home, the sun came out and the roads cleared and I thought it would be nice to take my baby out to work that day.

So I did, and it was great. I have experience riding in hail and snow, so this wasn't a problem. I'm a very cautious driver. It's my first motorcycle, bought used in August, but not my first time riding. I have never been in an accident since I was 16.

Anyway, it still wasn't raining when I left work that night (yes, I'm a personal trainer, which helped my leg not snap off according to the paramedic) so I didn't think twice about it. Instead of getting on the highway like I usually do, I played it safe and decided I should take the smaller roads back home.

A couple points I'd like to make...

- It is really cold nowadays, I agree fully. But I exercise out in the cold all the time, it doesn't bug me very much. There's a Norwegian saying: "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad equipment". Granted I'm Canadian, but I think it applies to some extent here.
*also I had hand warmers... yay!*

- Yes, it's a Ninja 250. I also don't understand some rider logic (the t-shirts and shorts thing...) especially the "bigger is better" thing. Really. I'm 5'2" and I got this bike because I can ride it comfortably. I don't see sense in buying a 600 and not being able to touch the ground and straddle the tank. I learned on a Suzuki 550 and I was barely able to touch the ground. Besides, my bike maxes out at 120mph or something. I'd never max out on a highway and wouldn't risk it - I'm just not that kind of girl.

- Also, I'm poor. That's why I ride and I don't drive. Never owned a car and don't plan to. I belong on 2 wheels. Being poor is also why I didn't get a 600... gas mileage doesn't equate to what I'd get out of the engine, and the insurance is higher.

- I was told by my lawyer today that this is in fact classified as a hit and run (or shadow hit as some people say) because ... something got hit. and someone ran.

- Yes I am a female personal trainer who rides. But if I'm a butterface too... that's what full face helmets are for
ninjette is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Glad you're ok.
As a rider myself, panic braking and swerving = Lowside. Being damp and having shitty cold tires don't help. To for the bike to slide 30m or 90 feet is a long ways so you must have been going pretty fast. Too fast for conditions maybe?
Jeans don't do shit after 10 feet, even kevlar jeans last maybe 20 feet. Plus they don't keep you warm in this weather.
So it is considered a hit and run even tho you didn't make contact with the other driver? I wonder what ICBC will say?
i think that the driver drove off cause you didnt make contact with them and you lowsided on your own.

Last edited by Holeshot; 12-20-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #25
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjette View Post
Whoa!

I didn't know that you had posted this - thanks buddy!!!

Just to clarify things: On Monday it wasn't very cold and it wasn't raining where I was. I was getting an important parcel from UPS and upon dropping it off at home, the sun came out and the roads cleared and I thought it would be nice to take my baby out to work that day.

So I did, and it was great. I have experience riding in hail and snow, so this wasn't a problem. I'm a very cautious driver. It's my first motorcycle, bought used in August, but not my first time riding. I have never been in an accident since I was 16.

Anyway, it still wasn't raining when I left work that night (yes, I'm a personal trainer, which helped my leg not snap off according to the paramedic) so I didn't think twice about it. Instead of getting on the highway like I usually do, I played it safe and decided I should take the smaller roads back home.

A couple points I'd like to make...

- It is really cold nowadays, I agree fully. But I exercise out in the cold all the time, it doesn't bug me very much. There's a Norwegian saying: "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad equipment". Granted I'm Canadian, but I think it applies to some extent here.
*also I had hand warmers... yay!*

- Yes, it's a Ninja 250. I also don't understand some rider logic (the t-shirts and shorts thing...) especially the "bigger is better" thing. Really. I'm 5'2" and I got this bike because I can ride it comfortably. I don't see sense in buying a 600 and not being able to touch the ground and straddle the tank. I learned on a Suzuki 550 and I was barely able to touch the ground. Besides, my bike maxes out at 120mph or something. I'd never max out on a highway and wouldn't risk it - I'm just not that kind of girl.

- Also, I'm poor. That's why I ride and I don't drive. Never owned a car and don't plan to. I belong on 2 wheels. Being poor is also why I didn't get a 600... gas mileage doesn't equate to what I'd get out of the engine, and the insurance is higher.

- I was told by my lawyer today that this is in fact classified as a hit and run (or shadow hit as some people say) because ... something got hit. and someone ran.

- Yes I am a female personal trainer who rides. But if I'm a butterface too... that's what full face helmets are for
I never understood the squid mentality either, I ride a rs125. I finished rebuilding gsxr 1000, 600, and a r6. I much rather ride the 125 as it is more fun and cheaper to insure. Never able to use the gsxr on the street or even at our local track. I almost lowsided my rs125 too just a few days before you did. left turner cut me off on my way too work. Ended up doing a stoppie and kicking my crotch doing a tank slapper and sat on the side of the road for 15 minutes.
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote