REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #76
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I have a funny story, a few years back I was in Asia, made a trip through China and Japan, was eating the funkiest stuff (Raw Frog Sashimi, etc) and even people told me the street food in China could be dirty, I went at it anyway. The ONLY time I got really, really sick, was when I ate at Salzeria (it's the equivalent of a Denny's here) ... I had a pasta, wings and pizza ...
Advertisement
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #77
xxx

After reading all these posts I'm starting to fear going to China later this year for vacation. Fuck the last thing I want to do is be puking all day and night and be bed-ridden. I'd much rather just have diarrhea because at least that's easier to handle and doesn't feel as bad.

With that said, I've never thrown up from bad food before. I've had stomach cramps and diarrhea and lethargy, but never actually thrown up. Is this a good thing or is my body just inefficient at expelling noxious substances from my body (ie. letting it pass through my intestines as opposed to getting rid of it ASAP)?

Last edited by Oleophobic; 01-13-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #78
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
After reading all these posts I'm starting to fear going to China later this year for vacation. Fuck the last thing I want to do is be puking all day and night and be bed-ridden. I'd much rather just have diarrhea.

With that said, I've never thrown up from bad food before. I've had stomach cramps and diarrhea and lethargy, but never actually thrown up. Is this a good thing or is my body just inefficient at expelling noxious substances from my body (ie. letting it pass through my intestines as opposed to getting rid of it ASAP)?
Just refrain from eating shady places and street food no matter how good it looks. I ate who knows what when i was in china that made me shit like 30 times in a night and vomit every few hours. Worst part is I went go-karting the next day when i thought i was a bit better. Biggest mistake ever. Oh and dont eat KFC like me the next day either.

Lets just say i learned quite a bit last time haha
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #79
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I have a funny story, a few years back I was in Asia, made a trip through China and Japan, was eating the funkiest stuff (Raw Frog Sashimi, etc) and even people told me the street food in China could be dirty, I went at it anyway. The ONLY time I got really, really sick, was when I ate at Salzeria (it's the equivalent of a Denny's here) ... I had a pasta, wings and pizza ...
Saizeria is the nastiest food you could possibly eat in Japan lol.. I'd be more surprised if you didn't get sick from eating there

It's even more ghetto than Denny's in Canada
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #80
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
ok let me give some information here. this is info coming direct from coastal health. according to them food poisoning takes a MINIMUM of 12 hours for bacteria to develop in the body until you will feel symptoms. sometimes it can take as much as 48 hours. running a restaurant i get really annoyed if someone calls me a couple hours after having something at my place and then blames their sickness on what they ate from me when its MORE likely something that was eaten many many hours before.

op's sickness is almost absolutely NOT from fresh slice. op needs to look back the last couple day at what was eaten. maybe something more likely then a slice of pizza baked in a crazy hot oven clearly hot enough to kill all potential bacteria and then assumingly let to rest under some heat lamps that are to code. maybe op cooked some raw meat at home and had some bacteria transfer because op wasn't cooking with proper hygienic techniques.
Not always true. Food poisoning can be caused by viruses, bacteria, toxins, or parasites (among other things).

For bacteria it is true that you won't get symptoms until the bacteria has time to grow to sufficient amounts and on average it might take 12 or more hours, but it's definitely not a strict rule. Some strains and species grow fast, others do not. Some people will also show symptoms faster than others.

Viruses (most commonly norovirus) tend to be faster than bacteria in causing symptoms but again it varies based on the virus and also host response.

For toxins, some of them can cause symptoms within a few hours. Heat might kill the bacteria, but many toxins that the bacteria produce are heat stable and won't be broken down by high temperatures.

Basically, could there be another source for OP's food poisoning? Yes, but you can't rule out Fresh Slice.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #81
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Saizeria is the nastiest food you could possibly eat in Japan lol.. I'd be more surprised if you didn't get sick from eating there

It's even more ghetto than Denny's in Canada
LOL serious?... damn no wonder it was so cheap ... but I was drunk and it was like 4am ...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
LOL serious?... damn no wonder it was so cheap ... but I was drunk and it was like 4am ...
Yup that's what it's there for... That and poor families

Same goes for Royal Host, Jonathans, etc... all full of drunken partyers at night, poor families in the day
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #83
Retired moderator

Once you've stopped getting the runs or puking, take this thing called florastar or something. You can get it at your local pharmacist, it's bloody expensive but it will replenish all the good bacteria in your intestines. Also replenish on electrolytes, not that gatorade shit which is full of sugar. There are drinks mixes specifically made for ppl that have had the runs. Dehydration can kill.

This Christmas I got super sick, was running a super high fever on top of the runs, it got to a point where I was shitting out large amounts of blood for 2 days, almost fainted...I guess from loss of blood. I was taken in and hooked up on an IV. Go see a doctor.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #84
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Once you've stopped getting the runs or puking, take this thing called florastar or something. You can get it at your local pharmacist, it's bloody expensive but it will replenish all the good bacteria in your intestines. Also replenish on electrolytes, not that gatorade shit which is full of sugar. There are drinks mixes specifically made for ppl that have had the runs. Dehydration can kill.

This Christmas I got super sick, was running a super high fever on top of the runs, it got to a point where I was shitting out large amounts of blood for 2 days, almost fainted...I guess from loss of blood. I was taken in and hooked up on an IV. Go see a doctor.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #85
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
After reading all these posts I'm starting to fear going to China later this year for vacation. Fuck the last thing I want to do is be puking all day and night and be bed-ridden. I'd much rather just have diarrhea because at least that's easier to handle and doesn't feel as bad.

Everytime I travel to India for work I take two things; Imodium and Gatorade. You're going to get the runs no matter how safe you upon arriving but it usually lasts a day or two, trick is when the first symptoms appear pop a Imodium and drink some Gatorade. Another key is eat light, nothing spicy and no milk products for the first few days and you should be fine. If you start munching on meat right when you land well good luck to you because you'll most likely be regretting it when your ass is on fire for the next few days. Meat, milk products and veggies you have to be careful with when traveling to countries like India and China.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
eat light, nothing spicy and no milk products for the first few days and you should be fine.
that doesn't leave much does it?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #87
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

when i used to get food poisoning when i was younger, I tried to keep things in and it would prolong the sickness. Now when i get it on occasion, I drink as much as i can to puke as much as i can to flush my system. After the first day my system is flushed and is like day and night. Not sure this is the BEST clinical remedy, but it works for me with little physical effect.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #88
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
that doesn't leave much does it?
Curry, all day and all night lol.

But for me I usually start eating meat once my systems adjusted which is a few days into the trip.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #89
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
when i used to get food poisoning when i was younger, I tried to keep things in and it would prolong the sickness. Now when i get it on occasion, I drink as much as i can to puke as much as i can to flush my system. After the first day my system is flushed and is like day and night. Not sure this is the BEST clinical remedy, but it works for me with little physical effect.
Drink as much as you can?

Why not just take a teaspoon of ipecac?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #90
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Dean View Post
Everytime I travel to India for work I take two things; Imodium and Gatorade. You're going to get the runs no matter how safe you upon arriving but it usually lasts a day or two, trick is when the first symptoms appear pop a Imodium and drink some Gatorade. Another key is eat light, nothing spicy and no milk products for the first few days and you should be fine. If you start munching on meat right when you land well good luck to you because you'll most likely be regretting it when your ass is on fire for the next few days. Meat, milk products and veggies you have to be careful with when traveling to countries like India and China.
I would be cautious about this and consult a doctor before you do it. Loperamide (Imodium) shouldn't be used for certain bacterial diarrhea, particularly ones that cause bloody stools, abdominal pain and/or fever. And not for children under 3 as well.

PLOS Medicine: Loperamide Therapy for Acute Diarrhea in Children: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

World Gastroenterology Organisation practice guideline:
Loperamide is the agent of choice for adults (4–6 mg/day) — Should be used mostly for mild
to moderate traveller’s diarrhoea (without clinical signs of invasive diarrhoea). — Inhibits
intestinal peristalsis and has mild antisecretory properties. — Should be avoided in bloody or
suspected inflammatory diarrhoea (febrile patients). — Significant abdominal pain also
suggests inflammatory diarrhoea (this is a contraindication for loperamide use)(11)

Last edited by ElantraGT; 01-19-2013 at 02:52 PM.
ElantraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #91
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Drink as much as you can?

Why not just take a teaspoon of ipecac?
because a reason of inexact doesn't give you stuff to throw up. you'll be dry heaving
Posted via RS Mobile
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #92
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I had a one night old McChicken, never had a prob before but this time I started throwing up, no fever, just uncomfortable af

puked a few more times, mostly water, some dark pink water, not sure if blood

drank tons of water, drank a nutrient drink, some powerade , and slept it off
Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote