REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   In Regards to Bcrdukes Ban (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680042-regards-bcrdukes-ban.html)

noventa 02-04-2013 10:42 AM

In Regards to Bcrdukes Ban

First of all, I should state that I do not know Bcrdukes personally. I have never spoken to him or even know what he looks like.

I have been on this forum for a very long time, since 2001 as well. My original username is Revscene spelled backwards.

During these long years of following this forum, I have seen him contributed a lot to this forum in terms of insightful feedback on products and helpful comments with regards to questions. From his posts, I see him as a decent guy who is an asset to this community. (Especially in the VLS lifestyle and the "I love to ride my bicycle" thread).

As a long standing member of Revscene, I know the rules of what is allowed and not allowed. I have read about many people being banned and in general, I agree whole heartily that those who have been banned in the past deserve to be. However, in this case, I feel that judgement on Bcrdukes may be too harsh, and I feel that Bcrdukes should be given an infraction or a second chance (or at least a chance to explain himself if he chooses to).

His comment of "Ewww...Chinky" in the forum thread "My friend got sued for rear ending somebody" is indeed offensive and unnecessary, but I think an immediate ban for this comment is a little too harsh.

Anyways, just wanted to get my opinion out there to see who feels the same.

dlo 02-04-2013 10:47 AM

lolwut happened...it depends on how many infractions he got too, think its 60 point is a perma banned or something and that sucks, hopefully something can be resolved and hes back, if not, meh...

Nechako87 02-04-2013 10:49 AM

ha, I don't think he is perma-banned at all...just temporarily. And IIRC, this isn't the first time he's been banned either.

MoBettah 02-04-2013 10:51 AM

Disagreed.

A precedence needs to be set that any form of racism isn't acceptable. I see a lot of subtle and implied racism on this forum (mainly against chinese, asians, mainlanders) and it goes unmentioned or even thanked.

"Chinky" is over the line. Someone is bound to chime in with a "I'm Asian and I wasn't offended! Haha!" I say, a black guy would never accept being called a N word. Stop being a damn doormat and shame to your race.

murd0c 02-04-2013 10:52 AM

I've been banned for a week or two over the 10yrs I have been here. It happens we suck it up and nothing to bitch about since he was in the wrong and what he said wasn't right. Only the real idiots have a perma-ban and Dukes sure aint one of them.

This is a Multi of his? :troll:

yray 02-04-2013 10:53 AM

Dukes gotta Dukes

/thread

Tapioca 02-04-2013 10:53 AM

I've met bcrdukes in person and his post in that thread was very much out of character for him. His account must have been hacked or something.
Posted via RS Mobile

Gumby 02-04-2013 10:54 AM

If bcrdukes wrote that himself, then the ban is deserved.

If someone else used his phone/computer to write that, then the ban is undeserved.

Vansterdam 02-04-2013 10:55 AM

:lawl:

petition to bring back dukes?

dlo 02-04-2013 10:55 AM

inb4rsconspiracytheorist, oops too late

inv4zn 02-04-2013 10:57 AM

To chime in, his original comment wasn't "eww chinky", it was actually "eww dirty chinks."

Not only was it not warranted, it came completely out of the blue. Imagine having a debate in a law class about the implications and possible out comes of being sued after being rear-ended, and a student decides to say exactly that. What would happen then?

Just because this is "the internets" and you're hidden behind your invincible keyboard, doesn't mean you can do things you wouldn't do in real life. Especially when it comes down to plain common courtesy and good manners.

I've never met the guy IRL, and he may be a bundle of joy, but this one incident did ruin my entire image of him, negating all his certain contribution to the site in the past. I'm not Chinese but I thought it was also over the top.

dinosaur 02-04-2013 11:19 AM

Dukes is a delight and I would pay to bare his children.

dangonay 02-04-2013 11:27 AM

Did he say it, was his account hacked, did another person at his place type it as a joke, or was he playing devil's advocate to stir some controversy? Personally I think a ban without allowing a few more posts to see why it was posted was a little quick.

Someone mentioned above most racist insults are directed towards Asians. As someone with a Native background I think I've got you all beat when it comes to stereotypes hurled our way. I've seen a LOT of ignorant posts towards Natives that didn't result in a ban.
Posted via RS Mobile

MoBettah 02-04-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangonay (Post 8150973)
Did he say it, was his account hacked, did another person at his place type it as a joke, or was he playing devil's advocate to stir some controversy? Personally I think a ban without allowing a few more posts to see why it was posted was a little quick.

Someone above mentioned above most racist insults are directed towards Asians. As someone with a Native background I think I've got you all beat when it comes to stereotypes hurled our way. I've seen a LOT of ignorant posts towards Natives that didn't result in a ban.
Posted via RS Mobile

Who cares what you are. It should be unacceptable regardless.

Besides, have you seen the Idle No More thread? It's full of people patting each other on the back about how progressive and tolerant the thread is to Natives. Never EVER seen anything remotely close in regards to Asians.

TOS'd 02-04-2013 11:48 AM

This is definitely something someone who possesses multiple personalities might say. The fact that this thread was even made in the first place is a sign that he has won and gotten the attention of the community, which is what he has always wanted. Lets just all move on with our lives and not get into a heated argument about this. We all know he is still around under multiple aliases anyways. Nothing has changed.

Drow 02-04-2013 11:58 AM

im pretty sure its either someone taking his phone and posting it...

or he did it on purpose to get banned on purpose. so many recent bans of "profiling" :badpokerface: im sure he knew what wouldve happened if he posted it.

sonick 02-04-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 8150986)
We all know he is still around under multiple aliases anyways. Nothing has changed.

Just look for any new members talking about vintage trumpet collecting.

dsot 02-04-2013 12:10 PM

I been lurking on this forum for the past few years. While I havent met bcrdukes before in real life...or known him as long as some of you, he has indeed contributed quite a bit to the forum. However, for the past year or so, his attitude towards this forum has definitely turned 360 degrees. More often than other, bcrdukes is trolling on threads and commenting random shit.

Remember the incident last summer when he even pissed of !SG.....?

While a doubt it will be a permanent ban, I definitely think its a good time for him to step off from the forum for a month or so and rethink some of his action.

Hondaracer 02-04-2013 12:14 PM

Some of you take this shit pretty seriously..lol
Posted via RS Mobile

BrRsn 02-04-2013 12:16 PM

join my hunger strike.

BaoTurbo 02-04-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8150999)
Some of you take this shit pretty seriously..lol
Posted via RS Mobile

Revscene is serious business man. Or else why would bchow blow one post up :troll:

TOS'd 02-04-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsot (Post 8150998)
I been lurking on this forum for the past few years. While I havent met bcrdukes before in real life...or known him as long as some of you, he has indeed contributed quite a bit to the forum. However, for the past year or so, his attitude towards this forum has definitely turned 360 degrees. More often than other, bcrdukes is trolling on threads and commenting random shit.

Remember the incident last summer when he even pissed of !SG.....?

While a doubt it will be a permanent ban, I definitely think its a good time for him to step off from the forum for a month or so and rethink some of his action.

Thank you for stepping up and voicing your opinion on this subject matter. This is the best time for everyone to partake in this discussion so we can put an end to it once and for all. Again, thank you dsot.

inv4zn 02-04-2013 12:29 PM

Out of curiosity, what did he do to piss off !SG?

EmperorIS 02-04-2013 12:31 PM

lol just make a new account and stfu.... you just want your account back so you can look legit with your high post counts.

Graeme S 02-04-2013 12:56 PM

In all things, there is an ebb and a flow. When things are chill the occasional comment will slide. When tensions are high, there is a need to make people notice.

In so much as there is the "X has done so much for the site", there is also an "X has been around here for long enough that he and/or she should know better". If you dislike the choices that mods make on bans and points, you're welcome to PM us and ask us. Petitions to "BRING BACK X" do nothing.

This is all that will be said on this topic.