REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Sharing Best Practices (relationships)

With all the stuff on here about problems and helping others, I thought it would be nice to share what works in your relationships and to share those best practices.

And example would be:

"Don't go to bed angry" and then some details such as "We make an agreement to discuss and talk about everything and resolve things before we go to sleep. Even if we're tired we stay up solving the issue because the relationship is that important.

I don't mind sharing one to start off with.

I personally believe in not saying anything hurtful to the other person in an argument. It is so hard to do this but once you say something, you can never unsay those words again and it can come back and bite you. If I am really mad or upset, I just explain the reality of things:

"I'm really upset right now and I don't want to make matters worse. I need about an hour or so to cool off and I will address this situation when I can think rationally and without hurting you. Is that okay?"

Of course the other party needs to be aware of what needs to happen and of course the 1 hour rule can't turn into a day or anything like that.

I find for me, it has worked well and enabled me to really get to the root of the problem and talk things out like adults. Often once I've had some time to think, I calm down and it's not a big deal anymore.

Marco.911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
i make sure my hands don't have any calluses on them. it's a pretty good relationship if you ask me.

97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
If the person you are dating is a long term partner and you see yourself being with them for life. I suggest telling them the one thing you don't want anyone to find out (IE financial issue). Something you feel really unconfortable talking to anyone about.

For me is my financial. I have a pretty bad past and is something I wouldn't want anyone to know. Is something I will tell my partner. Is something I am ashamed of..... a big mistake I made in the past.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
If the person you are dating is a long term partner and you see yourself being with them for life. I suggest telling them the one thing you don't want anyone to find out (IE financial issue). Something you feel really unconfortable talking to anyone about.

For me is my financial. I have a pretty bad past and is something I wouldn't want anyone to know. Is something I will tell my partner. Is something I am ashamed of..... a big mistake I made in the past.
Oooh, this is a hard one especially if you have something that needs to be buried.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

cant tell if this is a joe 45 thread but ill bite

I dont always get into fights with the mrs but when I do I dont back down. I usually offer to talk out a problem but she usually goes into silent mode. I acknowledge her behavior then I play along. She loses all the time.
Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Full disclosure
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
communicate as if today was the last time you will see them.
listen to what they say and request they dont hint (if you are not good at taking hints)
apologize and mean it not just to shut them up
be the bigger man/woman and dont bring past issues into the present
when the issue is being resolved do something to make them smile - it'll be resolved quicker.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Whenever we get into an argument about something, I won't say anything hurtful to her, ie. calling her a bitch/cunt/asshole...etc.
there's many other words and ways i can say it to basically say the same thing, but not as hurtful. At the end when it's starting to cool down (arguments only last 2-5 minutes with us) ill usually make her smile.

Ex. Me - "your such a tard..."
Her - "me?? Your the tard...."
Me - "yeah...maybe...but I'm your tard "

Saying it as playful as I can to make her smile. Just an easy way for us to both realize we're bickering about something stupid and its now in the past.
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Whenever we get into an argument about something, I won't say anything hurtful to her, ie. calling her a bitch/cunt/asshole...etc.
there's many other words and ways i can say it to basically say the same thing, but not as hurtful. At the end when it's starting to cool down (arguments only last 2-5 minutes with us) ill usually make her smile.

Posted via RS Mobile

True! Never say anything hurtful when you can't think clearly. I used to say the stupidest things when I argue with ppl. Now I just remain chill and try to think that it is not the person I am angry at but at what is happening. This usually helps cool me down.

Could be since I work in customer service now I have to be polite event though the other end is swearing and yelling.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Ri2
Willing to stick a finger in a guys butt for the sake of science

This is a big one for me...

Don't hold grudges.

After you talk/fight about an issue and it's been resolved, let it go, drop it and never bring it up again in future fights.......

I tend to hold grudges and punish people slowly over time.
[19-07, 22:39] dinosaur i have felt up ri2 before
Ri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
always be truthful... i hate it when girls say theres nothing wrong when shes clearly angry... shit always bite u in the end
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
the full stop in the "nothing." text means something is up.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Always be protective of her, always. She'll start to change her mind about you if you're not. (not always physical, emotional too.)

Always calm down before you say anything you'll regret.

Your money eventually becomes her money too. (if you're in a serious relationship) so just get over it. When she has money she'll buy things for you too.

Even if a girl comes into your life just to be friends, keep your distance. Getting too close could lead to something more.
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: