REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Get ready for longer line-ups at the border crossings... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681153-get-ready-longer-line-ups-border-crossings.html)

pearlaudi 03-01-2013 07:49 PM

Get ready for longer line-ups at the border crossings...

US border guard budget slashed. Up to 5000 guards cut.

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/T...583/story.html

Prolowtone 03-01-2013 07:51 PM

Link dont work

TOS'd 03-01-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Truckers fear U.S. budget crisis means longer waits at border
Prediction of 5,000 fewer U.S. border agents could mean delays at road crossings and airports

B.C. truckers fear they will see longer lineups return at the Pacific Highway truck border crossing this spring despite measures last year that had reduced average waiting times at the nation’s fourth busiest crossing from 52 minutes to 11.

The worry, echoed by B.C. manufacturers and exporters, was triggered by America’s failure Friday to avoid its latest budgetary crisis — the so-called sequester — which could lead to cuts include ending overtime and laying off air traffic controllers, border guards, customs officers and food and agriculture inspectors.

The staffing cuts have sparked fears of longer waits that could cripple Canadian exports, hamper the economy and cause long waits for goods and people heading into the U.S.

The failure of the U.S. Congress to approve last-minute measures to avert a crisis means the $1.2 trillion US in across-the-board cuts came into effect at 11:59 p.m. Friday. Everyone — from exporters who need to quickly ship their products by truck, to tourists planning to drive or fly for a vacation getaway in the U.S. — would be affected. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said earlier this week her department would have to cut 5,000 border patrol agents.

“We’re hoping for the best and planning for the worst,” said Louise Yako, president of the B.C. Trucking Association, which uses three crossings — Pacific, Aldergrove and Sumas.

“We’ve been working with the Ministry of Transportation here and the U.S. Customs and Border crossing to change the configuration of the truck crossing at Pacific … now we’re potentially talking about going backwards.”

At noon Friday, the wait at Pacific Highway was 20 minutes, and 30 minutes at Sumas.

Yako said local border officials told her organization that three truck lanes will remain open but the effect of the reduced number of border guards remains to be seen.

The move is expected to take effect around April 7 as the employees are required to be given a month’s notice.

About one million trucks pass between B.C. and Washington annually, resulting in an $11 billion trade, based on 2011 figures. With 70 per cent of these trucks registered in B.C., Yako said, the effects on this province will be enormous.

Craig Williams, vice-president of the B.C. branch of the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters Association, said his organization has similar concerns as the U.S. is the CMEA’s largest customer. B.C. doesn’t have as big a stake as Canada, he said, with only a little less than half of its $30 billion worth of exports annually going south of the border, but it’s still a concern if members are tied up in traffic at the border.

“We’re very, very worried about it,” Williams said. “ … (if) it starts to hold up productivity lines it’s going to be huge. With the movement of people and goods and services down there, this has the potential to grind things to a halt.”

Napolitano said delays will occur at border crossings and at customs checkpoints in U.S. airports, while at the busiest airports, peak waiting times could rise from two hours to four hours or more. At seaports, delays in examinations of containers will increase to five days.

Ken Oplinger, president and CEO of the Bellingham Whatcom Chamber of Commerce, said he doesn’t expect the situation to be that dire, noting he was told the layoffs would be mostly behind the counter. He acknowledges the elimination of overtime could be problematic during typically heavy traffic times — when more lanes are usually added and officers asked to work overtime — but those times can be avoided by drivers.

The busiest traffic loads heading south are on weekends between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., and during the summer months, when drivers now often wait between 45 minutes and two hours to cross. He maintains it’s too early to see what effect the sequester will have but noted “it could certainly add well onto over an hour” on border waits.

The Nexus lanes shouldn’t be affected, he added, because those drivers are pre-screened and additional lanes aren’t opened to accommodate travellers. He added the Bellingham airport would likely only see an extra 10 to 15 minute delay for travellers as a result of the sequester because of the infrequency of flights.

“We’ll see what happens once this all gets into place,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Canadian manufacturers and exporters have been in daily contact with U.S. border agencies, as well as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, said Birgit Matthiesen, Washington special adviser to the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters Association.

She said furloughs at U.S. Customs and Border Protection will begin April 7, along with overtime slashing and a reduction in travel. She maintains the cuts likely won’t affect the primary lines, but secondary inspections.

“The overall priority along the land border will be travellers and cargo streams, so there may be a shift in resources so that lane access is not reduced,” she said. but noted any glitch could have a “snowball effect.”

Matthiesen said she is also concerned that every port will have to come up with its own new measures, noting that it will mean companies won’t know what guidelines are in place from one port to another.

Port Metro Vancouver declined to comment on the new measures Friday, while Tourism Vancouver said it was too early to comment. Jenny Duncan, spokeswoman for the YVR Airport Authority, added: “At this point weren’t not making any changes but we will monitor the situation.”

In an emailed statement, the Government of Canada said its top priority is jobs and growth and facilitating legitimate trade and travel between Canada and the U.S. is “key to our continued economic success.”

“It is our hope that leaders in the United States work together to develop action that will put the U.S. fiscal position on a sustainable path,” said the email from John Babcock, spokesman for Foreign Affairs. “We would be concerned with any impacts that could delay progress to reduce waiting times for people and goods at the border.
Truckers fear U.S. budget crisis means longer waits at border

?uestlove 03-01-2013 08:16 PM

the good thing is this means it would be between 45 minutes to 2+ hours before i have to deal with the asshole border cop

gramser57 03-01-2013 09:26 PM

Its only $50 bucks to get your NEXUS pass and its good for 5 years, good investment if you hate lineups.

AVS_Racing 03-01-2013 09:52 PM

I've seen it a few times that when its packed the Nexus line is slower than the regular :lawl:

StylinRed 03-01-2013 10:10 PM

i imagine they'll be quicker to allow cars to drive through if this is true or at least i hope it's like that since they want/need our $$$ even though some of the guards act like they don't

FerrariEnzo 03-01-2013 10:53 PM

hmm.. would this mean that applying for the nexus pass would be even stricter?

SoulCrusher 03-01-2013 10:59 PM

It will having no bearing on the Nexus program.
Posted via RS Mobile

inv4zn 03-02-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVS_Racing (Post 8173986)
I've seen it a few times that when its packed the Nexus line is slower than the regular :lawl:

This isn't true.

The nexus line seems longer because it's only 2 lanes compared to the regular lanes, but it is always faster.

I know because I recently got my Nexus and everytime I'd cross I'd "mark" a car in the regular line that was there before me, and not once did s/he go through before I did.

keifun 03-03-2013 12:31 AM

makes my trip down to the US even better as I bypass all the traffic with my Nexus pass:awwyeah:

heleu 03-03-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

:okay: I go down at least once a month and I've never seen this.

VRYALT3R3D 03-03-2013 07:51 AM

I remember waiting at the Detroit - Windsor border for 4 hours once. sigh

MG1 03-03-2013 11:46 AM

There have been a few times the Nexus has been slower. It depends on the time of day, at which crossing, and how many of the regullar lanes are open. One time at Pac crossing, there was a huge ass lineup of regular cars, within a span of 10 minutes, they open all lanes. Poor Nexus people were left far behind with those pylons preventing them from crossing over the to lane where us mere mortals cross.

Anyway, I cross at Sumas and the Nexus hours there sucks. I cross at 6:00 am and there is nobody in any of the lanes. I catch the border guard snoozing, LOL.

I've had my Nexus application filled out for close to a year now, but keep forgetting to send it in. Also, I hear the wait time to get the Nexus pass is about 6 to 8 months. Then there's the fricken interview. I'll probably say something to piss them off and get banned from entering the US. Hee hee....

SoulCrusher 03-03-2013 11:58 AM

Processing Nexus vehicles is much quicker than normal traffic at a ratio of about 3:1. Even if there is a line, it moves quite quick.

SoulCrusher 03-03-2013 12:00 PM

Not sure where you heard that, at the moment its about Jun/July unless there are other issues with your application.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8174987)

Also, I hear the wait time to get the Nexus pass is about 6 to 8 months. Then there's the fricken interview. I'll probably say something to piss them off and get banned from entering the US. Hee hee....

XplicitLuder 03-03-2013 12:21 PM

Iuno what u guys talking about. I used nexus yesterday and I was through in about 30secs when normal line up was about 30min :troll: what's this waiting longer I keep reading about hehe
Posted via RS Mobile

Volvo-brickster 03-03-2013 12:44 PM

Media sensationalism and nothing else.

Truth is , cuts to the US budget should have been done a long time ago.

Congress in the USA are just dicking around doing nothing.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

a00755836 03-03-2013 07:55 PM

went down to point roberts yesterday morning 10am. very busy...especially the nexus line. it was more busy than the last sat i went a month ago.

heleu 03-04-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulCrusher (Post 8174996)
Not sure where you heard that, at the moment its about Jun/July unless there are other issues with your application.

Yeah, it varies, but I just applied for my daughter in January, was accepted by mid February, interview date is in mid April.

So 3-4 months.

MG1 03-04-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heleu (Post 8175761)
Yeah, it varies, but I just applied for my daughter in January, was accepted by mid February, interview date is in mid April.

So 3-4 months.

Great, so it got better. I will send the application in, then. If all goes well, I should be able to get an interview date in June.

For those who go to the US, the lineups are really short early in the morning. Even on weekends. By early, I mean before 6 am.

Cross at 6, in Seattle by 9 easy.

jmanhas 03-04-2013 01:52 PM

interview dates are in july/august now..just try and keep checking and refreshing..sometimes people drop their appointment dates and you will be able to enroll in it. i got my interview after 3 days being accepted condnitionally. Its just the luck of the draw

heleu 03-04-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8175790)
Great, so it got better. I will send the application in, then. If all goes well, I should be able to get an interview date in June.

For those who go to the US, the lineups are really short early in the morning. Even on weekends. By early, I mean before 6 am.

Cross at 6, in Seattle by 9 easy.

Don't forget to apply for your kids, it's free for anyone under 18!

TypeRNammer 03-04-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

I've been in the nexus lane where it was slower than the regular lane :okay:

GLOW 03-04-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRNammer (Post 8176181)
I've been in the nexus lane where it was slower than the regular lane :okay:

been in that situation twice....
last trip down on the way back it was backed on to the I5 so I couldn't even get to the nexus and was waiting with everyone else for quite a while :okay: