REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 03-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Track Racing?

Hey guys,

How would one get involved with educational track racing?
I don't mean serious track racing, but just a hobby.

I'm just not a fan of autocross.

Thanks.
Advertisement
albertcua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Check out Morrisport.com // Advanced Driving for Mission Raceways or Turn2 Lapping inc. - Home for Pacific Raceways and The Ridge in Washington state.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
N8
I STILL don't get it

The Sports Car Club of BC offers a race driver training program. Completed the program last July and they teach you everything from heel-toe to vision to passing to flags to etiquette etc etc. One day classroom, two day track. We probably did about a 100 laps, and at $450 it is a bargain. The instructors sit with you until they feel you are ready which is a good thing.

Probably one of the best in the northwest if you ask me. And upon successful completion you can apply for your CACC novice license if you intend to compete in road racing.

Driver Training | SCCBC.net
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
N8; do they still do the simulated race on Sunday?
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Not sure if they're still active, but I went with PDC: Home | Performance Drivers Club
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
i practice track driving gt5
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Not sure if they're still active, but I went with PDC: Home | Performance Drivers Club
I did a track day with them in summer of 2012

Track days aren't racing though, not sure if OP knows the difference.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

...it's like $280. are there any tracks that are $100 drop in for a few laps, with minor safety issues such as only needing a helmet?
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac25 View Post
...it's like $280. are there any tracks that are $100 drop in for a few laps, with minor safety issues such as only needing a helmet?
Proformance down in WA offers something like this sometimes
MotorsportReg.com : ProFormance Racing School announces Power Lunch Lapping Hour Thursday, Mar 21 — Friday, Mar 22, 2013 info at Pacific Raceways, Kent, WA 98042 (0863)

Their full day event is $245 but is a lot more track time

You'd probably still have to get your car tech'd and as it says you need to attend a quick meeting.

You'd need some track day experience to do that kind of event too.
I'm not aware of this kind of event at mission though
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #10

ya mission as far as i know is all drag. but their site states they have a course but on the section of their website it only lists drag cars for race types.

the one up in north van is a course but they don't seem to have street legal cars, just dedicated race cars.

my buddy had a drift day with a few friends in 240s at Agassiz. but i think that was a special event.

i really want to do time attacks on touge courses with winding switchbacks and straights with elevations change. or light auto x with slight mud/snow/ice/gravel/wet pavement.

problem is i have a car that i don't want to damage in a stock race with multiple cars and don't have enough power to drag, which i'm not really into. she handles like a dream though that's why i like the personal time attack tracks or getting some friends together for a friendly race, where damage would be less likely.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #11
racing & tech mod.

There are several choices for road course tracks within a 6 hour drive of vancouver.

-Mission, BC (Mission Raceway Roadcourse)
-Seattle, WA (Pacific Raceways, aka SIR)
-Shelton, WA (The Ridge)
-Portland, OR (Portland Raceways, aka PIR)
-Grass Valley, OR (Oregon Raceway Park, aka ORP)

There are several different car clubs that do DEs (track days) at all these tracks.
-UBC Sports Car Club (ubcscc.com)
-BMW Club
-Alfa Club
-Porsche Club
-Mustang Club
-PDC
-Morris Sport
-Proformance
-Weissach
-etc etc

They don't care what car you drive, as long as your car is track worthy (not leaking, loose suspension, etc etc) Some of the clubs may require membership, like UBC, but it's very cheap. Porsche club and BMW will take non members in non Porsche/BMW just to fill spots.

MOST DE's or TrackDays will have the groups split into experience, so if you are a first-timer, you will run with the novice group until you have proven your skill and experience and you will move up accordingly. If you can, go to a day where they have instructors to ride with you. There are clubs and groups that do "lapping days" with less structure, and more track time, and usually no instructors. I DO NOT recommend these sorts of track days for novice drivers. You NEED to have someone show you the right lines and coach you, otherwise you are ASKING for an accident. Even the BEST drivers take coaches along to always improve. The scariest drivers are always the ones who think they don't need a coach.

Explore those clubs I posted above, go to their websites, and check it out. Have fun!
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
racing & tech mod.

Note: DE's/Track Days/Lapping days are NON COMPETITIVE EVENTS. They are DRIVER TRAINING DAYS.

Using Lap Timers and Data Loggers during your session are highly discouraged by most car clubs, because it VOIDS the insurance policies in place. Some private car clubs, like some of the ones I run with, don't run under the same insurance policies, so we can do what we want, but we are also much more advanced drivers, and it's an invite only system.

If you want to actually RACE wheel-to-wheel, you have to get a racing licence with CACC/FIA/SCCA/NASA etc and have a RACE CAR with a FULL roll CAGE built in and all the various safety equipment. You can't do wheel-to-wheel racing anywhere with your bone stock daily driver car with no cage/harness/window net, fire system, etc.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

this is your best bet:

http://www.morrisport.com/trackdays.html

probably the cheapest in lower mainland as well, no membership required. as others have said, track days are not wheel to wheel racing. they are "high performance driving events". they're more about learning to drive your car faster. having said that, it is definitely lots of fun and it is probably what you're looking for. as it is your first time doing a track day, you'll have to run the "FIRST TIMERS" event with the Inside Line track day. still lots of fun, you'll get good instructions, and get to drive your car fast.

people driving the first timers event can't pass other cars. but most of the time you're spread out far enough that you'll have the road to yourself.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
OP: come out to the March 30th event at Mission Raceway with Morrisport. They offer a First Timer group which involves a quick classroom theory session then 3 or 4 sessions with an instructor. It's a ton of fun and the instructors are great. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

You can even just come out and watch for free to see what it's like. Watch a couple sessions, talk to some instructors and participants and get a feel for it. Most people that try it get hooked right away.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
You're describing auto-x
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
N8
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
N8; do they still do the simulated race on Sunday?
Yes they do.. it's more of a 'mock race start', because by the end of Sunday everyone is pretty much lapping on their own before then.

Only point to pass was allowed, as usual. Remember to review your flags because they like to test everyone randomly!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #17

I like the meatball flag. i had that in my old car. LOL.. ended my day early.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #18

thank you guys =D, you mentioned insurance Rich, what does this cover? i thought all insurance was void while tracking. does this cover the team against law suits from injury or does this cover the cars if one spins out and hits a wall?

if i was to come out with the morrisport group what is needed?

drivers licence
insurance
helmet
stable car ie suspension and brakes?
helmet
more?

are aftermarket coilovers ok?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #19

Quote:
thank you guys =D, you mentioned insurance Rich, what does this cover? i thought all insurance was void while tracking. does this cover the team against law suits from injury or does this cover the cars if one spins out and hits a wall?

drivers licence
insurance
helmet
helmet
more?

the insurance which Rich refers to is the host club's insurance for liability and/or possibly property damage to the track.

your vehicle damage is not covered under that policy nor will ICBC (and other third party insurers) cover it

and your list- that's all you need. just make sure your car is good to go and you're set! helmet may or may not be provided by some clubs. mods to cars of course are OK if they are safe (you know what i mean! )

FYI - i created a thread on the Vancouver Subaru forum (nasioc) which answers everything you've asked
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #20

thank you Rich Sandor, death_blossom, white rocket, slowguy, ilvtofu and freakshow!

i'm considering joining ubc scc after visiting their page. looks like $25 membership for a year plus $25-$55 per event. this is within my price range considering with my schedule i may not be able to attend any events.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Dude, be realistic. You're not going to be doing any W2W racing anytime soon without a huge budget. I tried getting into it and it's easily $1000/weekend. Go do some track days, learn to handle a car and go from there. If you really want to race wheel to wheel, buy my kart and go race for $200/weekend against 30 guys at a world class facility and have way more fun than in a crappy 80's honda civic doing 100kph down the straight.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...599745304.html

http://simaracing.com/start-racing <- Located in Blaine, WA 5min from Abby. Greg Moore Raceway in Chilliwack also holds events all summer.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
F**K YOUR HEAD

Quote:

drivers licence
insurance
helmet
helmet
more?

Just check out the website... Morrisport.com // Advanced Driving

Decent tires, not just tread but compound
Good fluids, it's not unlikely you will cook some fluids if you're running 20 mins+ at a time
Good brake pad life,
If you're doing mission chances are your OEM Civic brake pads or street compound pads aren't enough unless you're pretty slow
Helmet doesn't just mean your old DOT sticker'ed motorcycle helmet

I still recommend you doing autocross, its got its drawbacks but you don't know how your car really feels at the limits and it's a safer place to learn to respect your car, plowing through a corner or snap oversteer/spin out there is better than on the track or street. You don't seem to know what you're doing yet and sound like you want to bite off more than you can chew.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #23
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Sorry for the late reply guys.

What I meant by track racing, was pretty much track days. Where from what I understand just have a bunch of people driving around a track at their own pace and learning their car/driving lines/techniques?

And from what I gather, in terms of north of the border all we have is Mission Raceway, but if you go down to the states there are a lot more other options?

In terms of prerequisites, do you need any sort of track license? I drive a Jetta TDi Sedan, would I need anything special in order for me to drive my car around a track? Special Insurance?

From what I know.. You also need a helmet with some type of DOT designation? Where's the best place to get such a helmet?

In terms of cost, would you guys who do go, do you guys blow through a set of tires and brakes everytime you go? Change your fluids right after?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Sorry. not *DOT* but *SNELL*!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #25
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

www.carsonice.ca is probably the cheapest way you can get into wheel to wheel road course style racing. But you will still need a full cage and other safety equip. Of course there is also the seasonal aspect of ice...

Helmet:
For most auto racing DOT is not good enough. You will need a SNELL approved helmet.
try here: Driver's Edge Autosport - the store for Drivers

If you want track days you will be limited to Rivers Edge Raceway north of the border. (mission road course. "Mission Raceway" is the drag strip)

Rivers edge can be/is VERY hard on brakes! I pit for a Spec Miata team, if you are driving hard enough your brakes can be toast after only one day or running (we actually melted a brand new set of Porterfield pads and fused them to the calipers...) I highly recommend you put in some good pads and upgrade your brake fluid.
FiveOneOh is offline   Reply With Quote