REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
What morons. When I was learning to drive I took a lesson once a week for maybe 8 weeks before getting my N, then just drove my beater for a while and took a couple more lessons and got my class 5. The hardest thing about getting my license was probably taking the L test.

I am one of the people who hate transit and refuse to take it. Shitty transit system full of fat people and germs. No thanks.
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post

I am one of the people who hate transit and refuse to take it. Shitty transit system full of fat people and germs. No thanks.
Poor drivers and people who don't drive sports cars are the reason why I prefer to stay off the roads during the day. If I had it my way, everyone would have to take defensive driver training, undergo a license renewal road test every 5 years, and would be prohibited from driving cars with automatic transmissions unless drivers could prove a medical condition which physically inhibited them from driving a manual.

You must be a real delight to be around though. Fat people and germs? Puh-leeze.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I know this may come as a shock to a car forum, but... there are people whose lives don't actually revolved around vehicles and the fastest, most flashy way to get from A to B. I have plenty of friends and acquaintances who live in Yaletown or downtown and never NEED to go more than about 6 blocks from home - owning a car and carrying all its expenses is just wasteful when you use it MAYBE once a month. Some of them have licenses and use Zipcar or Car2Go the odd time they need wheels, but even that is rare.

Strangely, these people still manage to have busy, fulfilling lives...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Driving was only fun for me when I was in my teens. Now it just feels like a chore. Much rather hop on the skytrain and surf the web while I go from point A to B.

Already told the wife that if I ever do get a car again, it'll only be a weekend car.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,766 Posts
Some days my drive to/from work is the best part of my day.

And I fucking hate transit too. After doing the 98-B-Line to downtown and back for a month I had enough and vowed to get a job where I didn't have to do that anymore.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #31
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
There's a kid I tutor, he's kind of like my nephew. Even though he has no plans to drive and isn't sure which country he'll be in by the time he's done high school, I've been pushing him to get his DL. Ease of use as an ID, a useful talent to have, and great for bringing your insurance rates down as you get older even if you're not *driving* driving.

Also, the fact that a DL is an "huge undertaking" is bullshit. Written test, study for an hour or three before hand (or download the test practice app on Android and just keep going 'til you can't fail ). Driving test is a year out--you can't tell me that within a year you won't have the opportunity to improve your skills. Class 5 test is two years out from that...

Saying "It takes three years to get a license" means it's a huge undertaking is such a ridiculous spin. It's not like it's constant tests and exams and courses...it's just a fuckton of waiting.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Driving just makes so much more sense. A round trip to UBC takes me about an hour whereas if I took the bus it would be closer to 2.5 hours and time is money right now.

Then again I am coming from Richmond. Maybe if I lived in Vancouver I wouldn't need a car. But who am I kidding, a car isn't just an appliance for me or for most people on here.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #33

I own a car that is insured but still take public transit almost daily.
Nothing wrong with saving some money on gas and there are always cuties on the bus I take so that doesn't hurt either.
No point being a snob and bitching about transit all the time.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #34
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
If transit was more convenient for the places I need to go then it would definitely be a more viable option. However, given that it would take me longer to get to work I'd much prefer driving, not to mention it would be a 3 zone each way lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinari-kun View Post
I dunno, I'm going to school full-time back and forth from White Rock and UBC every day.
dafuq

props to you...I would just give in after half a semester and live on campus or the very least buy a beater.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

It all depends in location. It's stupid to make blanket statements about how stupid owning of not owning a car is. The article is biased too. If you live in downtown or Yaletown, no shit you don't need a car. If you don't live along a bus route, then of course it makes more sense to drive.

Either way, nothing beats cruising around town with the top down on a nice summer day.
Posted via RS Mobile
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #37
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I can be very irritable. I drive so that I don't have to put up with other bus riders, and they don't have to put up with me.

Mutually beneficial.

Sort of OT, I was in DT, driving along Hastings. Stopped behind a car that was turning right onto Cambie and Hastings, both of us waiting for a pedestrian to cross the street. Car turns, I go forward. Bus driver pulls up beside me at the next intersection and gives me the "eat shit and die" glare while mouthing something. I have no idea what I did to him. I leaned forward, smiled, and waved at him. I bet I really sent him over the edge.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #38

I moved here for school 3 months ago from the Island, I drove every day for an hour a day at home. I stopped driving 3 days after I arrived. There is no pleasure in driving in this city.

Everyone is trying to kill you, traffic doesn't move, no one signals. It's awful. I take the train to school and it takes 10 minutes longer than driving (35 vs 45 mins)

It's worth it for the lack of stress. I still own both my cars, I keep one insured for when I need it (pleasure use only)

But until I leave vancouver when I'm done school, the u-pass is my main form of transportation. Vancouver roads are awful. I can see why no one here wants to drive.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #39
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

maybe people are getting smarter eh? need vs want? I know for a fact I don't need to drive, because our transit system can take me anywhere I want. But I want to driver a 100k car therefore I do=p Probs to those who takes the bus=)
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #40
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I moved here for school 3 months ago from the Island, I drove every day for an hour a day at home. I stopped driving 3 days after I arrived. There is no pleasure in driving in this city.

Everyone is trying to kill you, traffic doesn't move, no one signals. It's awful. I take the train to school and it takes 10 minutes longer than driving (35 vs 45 mins)
I was so close to writing a counter argument to your post but then I realized you live in Richmond...
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #41
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beproud View Post
maybe people are getting smarter eh? need vs want? I know for a fact I don't need to drive, because our transit system can take me anywhere I want. But I want to driver a 100k car therefore I do=p Probs to those who takes the bus=)
Again it revolves around where you live. DT Vancouver.... sure, transit will get you to where ever you want faster than driving. However, if you live in an area where transit isn't available on demand and only comes by once an hour (trust me, that's how it is where I live), driving suddenly makes a lot more sense.

And before people start saying to move closer to a bus line, keep in mind that it's not that simple for the majority of people.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #42
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Besides commuting, I own a vehicle because i genuinely enjoy driving. Not because i have some awesome car (hint: I don't) but because there's something just magical about a nice drive after school or work, Windows down just cruising, music on... Maybe i'm just weird though?
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #43
Need to Seek Professional Help

Well as mentioned, smartphones, tablets and other gadgets have replaced the car as the status symbol of the youth. Most would probably give up their car over their phone... Plus with all the social media mediums, who needs to go out anymore anyways ?!
RS_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #44
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I worked my butt off the summer of grade 10 and 11 to get my car in the beginning of this year. My 01 prelude se is my baby fuck my cellphone, I don't even listen to music I just like listening to my engine even while I'm cruising and the engagement of driving and rowing the gears. My generation is extremely lazy, people give me condescending talks about how much more work it is driving manual and I just laugh in their face. I'm not too surprised there are less and less people driving as our transit system is much more economical then driving ($80 bus passes vs $1.40 for a litre of gas + insurance and maint)

It's personal preference but to me.

vtec > going on facebook reading about people's days I dont give two shits about.
trix4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #45
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
I've owned a car living with the folks in middle-of-fucking-nowhere-Surrey.
And I've also lived on my own without a car in Burnaby, along the skytrain route.

Honestly speaking, the two feel the same to me.
If I needed to get to school from wherever it was that I was living at the time, it would have taken the same amount of time, driving from Surrey or transiting from Burnaby.
And in the long run, what I was saving by living at home all went to car payments, gas, insurance, and all that extra money I'm spending because of the added mobility of going anywhere I damn well wanted.

So yes, it does depend on where you live. But also another factor is just your attitude. People who do nothing but complain about idiots on public transit (granted, there are a LOT of those) are just picky, that's all.
It's all routine; within a certain extent, that is. I've never understood how people I knew who grew up in Langley would make the transit to and from UBC every fucking day for like 3 hours of lecture. It gets too much when you're effectively spending more time on transit than you are at your destination.
But in my first year of university, I toughed it out by sloshing through the snow 6:30 in the morning onto a bus smelling like wet feet and coffee, then pile into an overstuffed skytrain with people still drunk from the night before or those who talk too fucking loud on their phones, and I didn't mind it.
Then there was a period in time where I just drove everywhere, and I pretty much just starting hating public transit.
Now that my transiting to driving ratio is about 70:30, I've found a pretty sweet spot.

But that all just goes to show that I've readjusted to the specific circumstances.

Just sayin...beyond being able to afford paying for a car and/or afford living at a more urban metropolitan area, some people just need to stop fucking whining.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #46
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
But since this is a car forum, yes, owning a car and driving it is fucking awesome (if not slightly unaffordable depending on how you drive and where you live).
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #47
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
ive noticed when driving by some high schools the parking lots are surprisingly bare compared to when i went to high school

i took that to mean that times are hard for many not that people are taking transit instead... i find that hard to believe but i guess we're biased

Quote:
But one day, she would like to get her licence, if only because it’s the main piece of identification for most British Columbians. “It’s embarrassing going to the bar and getting ID’d and having to hand my passport over.”
do people not know about BCID??
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #48
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

wooo I actually enjoy driving.

A trend of fewer cars on the road? I don't mind at all. I actually think there are too many.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
I was so close to writing a counter argument to your post but then I realized you live in Richmond...
Trust me, I can't wait til the day I'm back in a small down, and put my impreza back on the road and never see the inside of a bus again.

Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't risk it here. It'd be driven into, doors smashed in parking lots, impounded and VI'd all in the first week
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #50
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trix4kids View Post
I worked my butt off the summer of grade 10 and 11 to get my car in the beginning of this year. My 01 prelude se is my baby fuck my cellphone, I don't even listen to music I just like listening to my engine even while I'm cruising and the engagement of driving and rowing the gears. My generation is extremely lazy, people give me condescending talks about how much more work it is driving manual and I just laugh in their face. I'm not too surprised there are less and less people driving as our transit system is much more economical then driving ($80 bus passes vs $1.40 for a litre of gas + insurance and maint)

It's personal preference but to me

vtec > going on facebook reading about people's days I dont give two shits about.
haha I can relate I worked like mad gr.10 - 11 saving to buy a g35 lool ended up saving 7k then giving up because I found out insurance was to expensive. so I just split insurance for my family car and drive that around. sucks how I only know like 1 person paying for insurance I'm grade 12.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote