REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #101
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
There’s no specific reasons given for the decline, but the TransLink analysis suggests it could be attributed to several factors, including a combination of the graduated licensing program and TransLink’s U-Pass program — a cheap universal pass that gives students access to bus, SeaBus and SkyTrain services within Metro Vancouver — or a “generational behaviour change because of shifts in values and attitudes.”
yup, youth now are more concerned with spending their money smartphones and other frivolous gadgets to even consider saving up for a car.
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2015, 01:30 AM   #102
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
yup, youth now are more concerned with spending their money smartphones and other frivolous gadgets to even consider saving up for a car.
Personally, I think this is only true because car ownership is pretty unattainable for a young person unless they are helped by their parents. Plus, this generation is obsessed with having "nice" things; for a lot of kids at my old high school, the idea of a $500-$1000 beater was "embarrassing", they all wanted the Acura TL, TSX, RSX, Lexus IS300, Infiniti G35, etc.... yes I went to school in East Van, can't you tell? IMHO, I'd rather drive a $500 POS than wait around in the rain for a bus but that's just me.

Furthermore, insurance alone for a new driver with zero discount is around $2500-$3000/year for the average, older compact car such as a Honda Civic. I don't know about you guys, but back when I was 19, working at Playland, I made barely that much working the 4 months it was open. Factor in the price of the car itself, the cost of fuel, maintenance, repairs... kinda hard for the average young person making $10.25-$14 an hour to spend that kind of coin unless they were bent on never going out or buying anything else.

Let's be real here, if my dad wasn't willing to insure the car I bought under his own name (and saving me around $2000/year) I never would have bought one. Ditto if I wasn't a mechanically-inclined guy who didn't have to rely on a stealership to fix things.

Last edited by Tone Loc; 01-11-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #103
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i asked this of someone i know at work who has no interest in owning a car. he grew up in a one car household and his dad was the only person who drove and he always took it to work so there was never a car to borrow. he eventually had to get a drivers license only because employers would always ask if he is licensed. he used transit to go to ubc because it was convenient and cheaper than car ownership, expenses, and parking pass costs, which was a concern because he paid his own way through university through crappy minimum wage jobs and student loans. in the apartment he lives in now the parking stall was an extra that was not included. if he does need a car for something, he does ride share.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #104
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

There were a couple times this year I sat down with a young kid that would be new in town trying to get his driver's license and looking at buying a car. You know what I told him to do? Spend $3,000 on the car, not 10-15g's. There is a chance the car might last 3 years only needing oil changes and maybe a few hundred dollars of maintenance along the way. Also, being a new driver, its inevitable small accidents happen. 2 at fault accidents to a new driver can be a major blow.

I told this Asian girl a couple years ago with a work Visa to get a scooter. The cost compared to the bus wasn't that much different and I told her it being a rarity with her riding, she would be without a doubt, as they say today, "like the cool kids".

On the extreme side of things there are a lot of healthy running cars around 1000 bucks on Craigslist. Wouldn't be surprised some could run a year without repairs. Some of these when new, I still have great fond memories of! A young common-law couple both living off minimum wage can drive and commute with the fore mentioned car 20,000km/year, live in a decent basement suite somewhere in the Valley, and have some disposable income to spare.
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #105
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
yep it'll comes down to insurance if teenager/early 20's individual is footing the entire bill
annually insurance for an N driver probably worth more than their 18 year old Civic/Integra
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: