REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Article: Fewer drivers among urban youth in Metro Vancouver

Do RS users live in a bubble? I know quite a few yuppies (who aren't exactly poor) who don't have cars, but I know just as many who still worship the altar of private transportation.

Quote:
Fewer drivers among urban youth in Metro Vancouver

Easy access to cheaper transit has many forgoing a traditional rite of passage: the driver’s license

By Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun March 20, 2013 8:03 PM

Whitney Sharp always expected she would be driving when she turned 16. But five years later, she has yet to make it behind the wheel — or even to a driver licensing branch.

But that hasn’t been an issue for the 21-year-old Surrey woman, who hops the SkyTrain to school at Douglas College, and a bus to her job/volunteer work with the Surrey Eagles.

And her friends seem willing to carpool her around.

“It’s just easier and faster for me to take transit,” said Sharp, who lives at home. “There’s people I know at school who moved here from Calgary and they’re not getting a licence because it’s so easy to get around in Metro Vancouver.”

Sharp is representative of what TransLink has deemed a “noticeable drop” in the proportion of young adults aged 16-24 who are forgoing a traditional rite of passage: getting a driver’s licence.

Only 50 per cent of young people aged 16-19 and 80 per cent of those 20-29 had a driver’s licence in 2011 — down from 60 per cent and 90 per cent respectively in 1999 — according to TransLink’s latest trip diary, which surveyed almost 18,000 households on their commuting patterns, including how many trips they made in a 24-hour period.

The trend is more pronounced in transit-rich cities like Burnaby and Vancouver, which have more residents in the 20-39 age group than the rest of Metro and recorded the highest volume of transit trips in 2011.

Indeed, TransLink noted the biggest decline in the proportion of young drivers’ licences occurred in Vancouver, with only 49.7 per cent of those age 16-24 getting their licence in 2012, while the proportion in Surrey and Langley remained much the same at 67.9 per cent and 78.1 per cent respectively.

There’s no specific reasons given for the decline, but the TransLink analysis suggests it could be attributed to several factors, including a combination of the graduated licensing program and TransLink’s U-Pass program — a cheap universal pass that gives students access to bus, SeaBus and SkyTrain services within Metro Vancouver — or a “generational behaviour change because of shifts in values and attitudes.”

“The notion of getting a car and the ability to drive as a rite of passage is really eroding,” said Larry Frank, professor and J. Armand Bombardier chair in Sustainable Urban Transportation Systems at the University of B.C. “It’s an indication that our degree of car dependence, at least in this region, is declining.”

It appears teens no longer view a restored Mustang as the ticket to independence, said Maria Su, senior manager of research analytics with TransLink. The high price of gas and car ownership, on one hand, and the U-Pass program and better transit opportunities on the other, she said, are likely contributing to the trend, which “is not unique to Vancouver.”

“It used to be when people got out of school, the first thing they did was get a used car because it was a sign of freedom,” Su said. “Now you can meet up with a friend without a car.”

Regional planners are endorsing the move, promoting transit hubs around high-density neighbourhoods, such as those along the Canada Line, Expo and Millennium Line and the new Evergreen Line. According to the TransLink data, transit users are more likely to live in apartments or condos than single-family homes.

“It makes sense because the cost of living is getting so high and people can’t afford to own cars,” said Vancouver Coun. Geoff Meggs. “The problem is we’re not building transit fast enough to meet the demand.”

Kahan Dare, 20, who grew up in New Westminster and now lives near Burrard and Davie, said his parents have urged him to get his driver’s licence but he doesn’t see the point in paying for gas, insurance and “ridiculously expensive” parking at the UBC when he can just hop on a bus or SkyTrain.

Plus, he said, it’s seems like a huge undertaking to get a graduated licence when he’s studying for a combined honours in math and physics. It typically takes about three years get a full class-five driver’s licence.

“As a kid you think it’s really cool and important but it’s not,” Dare said, adding transit is also better for the environment and he doesn’t feel comfortable driving other people in a car. “If you live in a city like Vancouver that has a transit system that good, I don’t care if I do have (a car).”

Gordon Price, of Simon Fraser University’s City Program, credited the U-Pass for doing what cars did for his generation: giving youth their freedom. While cars were equated with rising affluence in his generation, today’s hipsters have a different view of transit. “That freedom is very powerful — not having to think about money or what it costs,” he said.

Frank agreed, noting young people are choosing homes were they can walk, bike or take transit. “They’re not running out to get a driver’s licence because it’s not a big part of their life,” he said. “They don’t want to live out in sprawl. From a sustainable transit perspective, it’s a good sign.”

But while more trips in Metro Vancouver were made by transit and cycling in 2011 compared with 2008, the car is still the dominant mode of transportation, especially the farther one gets from downtown Vancouver.

Despite significant transit use between Surrey and downtown Vancouver, for instance, most trips south of the Fraser are by car. And in places like Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge, car trips have increased since 2008. Most of those areas have fewer people between the ages of 20 and 39, which goes to show that the car is also still king of the road among drivers aged 45-64.

Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts noted a lack of transit is another factor. While one can drive from South Surrey to Cloverdale in 15 minutes, it takes an hour on the bus. “That’s why we need to build a transit network south of the Fraser,” she said. “Because we have a big population under the age of 19 not everyone can afford to drive, so they’re dependent on public transportation.”

For Sharp, transit has been her saviour. Although she was excited about learning to drive, “the novelty wore off” after her boyfriend had a car accident and she was injured in a bus crash. “I was anxious and just didn’t have the confidence,” she said.

But one day, she would like to get her licence, if only because it’s the main piece of identification for most British Columbians. “It’s embarrassing going to the bar and getting ID’d and having to hand my passport over.”

ksinoski@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Advertisement
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
sucks to them when they do get a license and insure their car

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Those people that they talk about in the article are most likely just cheap. No other word to describe it. They dont want to spend money on gas and benefit other people by driving them around.

Im in that age group and most of our grade in HS has gotten our licenses but there are still those cheap bastards that refuse to give you a ride anywhere and only demand rides from you or other people.

The other types of people are the ones you cant ever imagine behind the wheel of a car. Theres always these individuals that can memorize a textbook but cannot play sports or have any reflexes. Cant ever imagine them driving.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Those people that they talk about in the article are most likely just cheap. No other word to describe it. They dont want to spend money on gas and benefit other people by driving them around.

Im in that age group and most of our grade in HS has gotten our licenses but there are still those cheap bastards that refuse to give you a ride anywhere and only demand rides from you or other people.
When I was in high school, gas was 39.9 cents per litre and reliable runabouts, such as Honda Civics, were in large supply. The price of gas has gone up 3.5 times and cheap runabouts are in shorter supply (because people aren't buying as many cars as they used to and/or hanging onto their cars longer.) Operating a car was significantly cheaper 15 years ago. That minimum wage job at the PNE could allow you to run a car, but not so much anymore.

I'm not poor by any means - after all, I live on my own, I own a Bimmer, and I make an above-average salary. But, sometimes I wonder how I can justify owning a car considering the cost of living and what I have to give up to own and maintain that car (e.g. I can't take vacations as often, I have to bring lunch to work, etc.)
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Def agree with the stats about 50% of my friends drive (19-20yo basically). Those who are basically going to school fulltime: you're basically forced to buy a bus pass no? Only makes sense to take what is the most economical, esp if you're in school. Personally I'm working f/t so I can afford to drive and maintain my own car, but I would not call those who take transit cheap fucks at all, gas is insanely expensive. But those who don't even have their drivers license at all? Lazy.
Posted via RS Mobile
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:

The other types of people are the ones you cant ever imagine behind the wheel of a car. Theres always these individuals that can memorize a textbook but cannot play sports or have any reflexes. Cant ever imagine them driving.
lol high school kid talking bout ppl being cheap.
do u live on ur own? do u pay rent? do u pay utilities? do u make car payments? do u pay for insurance? do u pay for gas?
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
in highschool i lived on my own, payed my rent, utilities, was paying for car and everything on it, insurance and every drop of gas.

even if i didnt need to drive to work or could get rides from friends i would still want to own my car, i love working on it, driving it and being with my friends who share the same passion. that being said.

its expensive, even if you drive something cheap on gas, insurance and overall cost of vehicle, its hard to justify if there are better options.. but hey, we live in a generation of convenience, its not what we NEED, but more what we WANT, no one needs fast food, its easier, no one needs the newest iphone, we just want it, we dont need to put loud exhaust on our cars, its just our life style. this is the generation of convenience and most wont hesitate to spend for it.

if i didnt have the passion, or friend group i do, i would be on the fence about driving, could easily save $600-$1500 a month just by getting rides or taking a bus.

i dont blame people for taking alternate transportation, every time im DT i wonder why people even try to drive in it..

im also someone who regularly goes to at least 1 meet a week, consistently at local shops, work on my car and friends cars and look forward to sunny mornings so i can wash my car and go for a drive or the occasional photo shoot, so to me, my car is my life or at least a very large part of it

Last edited by snails; 03-21-2013 at 08:57 AM.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:

Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Thanked 3,710 Times in 328 Posts
GOOD, I DONT WAN'T THEM ON MY ROADS ANYWAY LOLOL
DEADBEA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I just do whatever is feasible imo, if I within walking distance of a skytrain station, then I would probably not drive either.

I never drive downtown, it's much easier to take the skytrain, and it cost around the same too with gas and parking, but without the hassle.

But living in Richmond where it takes 40mins to go from No.5 to Railway on the 410 bus that might not even show up on schedule?
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Lol i just re-read my own post and i've got the same expression.

Please dont take that post seriously.

However if you can afford a car and can afford everything that comes with it, please dont cheap out on that dollar or two of gas to give someone a ride when they need it. Thanks.

And no i do not live on my own, do not pay rent, do not pay utilities, do not make car payments, do not pay insurance, nor do i pay for gas.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I think it's a generational thing as well.

In my high school days, there were no cell phones (and barely internet) and you had to drive (or at least bike!) to connect with your friends. Nowadays everyone has smartphones and there's less of a desire to have your own car - I would argue most teenagers are more excited about getting a new iPhone or Galaxy than getting an old econobox.

Sadly, there is no emotional appeal in cars for most people...they treat them like appliances, which is probably why most of the new cars look like boxes and there are far fewer sports cars than in the 90s. Ok, now I'm starting to sound like Jeremy Clarkson.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
I don't get it

It was easier to own a car than it is now.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
I am grateful grapefruit

Back in high school, all our friends would pile into a car and drive somewhere, or just get some food to eat. You can't really do that anymore either with the license restrictions.

As well - Insurance for teenagers. Back in the day, a lot of younger people would piggyback off their parents' insurance - but with ICBC cracking down on that, being a teenager and insuring a car around as the principal driver - it's definitely not affordable (nevermind the gas prices that people have already mentioned)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
Sadly, there is no emotional appeal in cars for most people...they treat them like appliances, which is probably why most of the new cars look like boxes and there are far fewer sports cars than in the 90s. Ok, now I'm starting to sound like Jeremy Clarkson.
Though it's completely valid, the majority of people who own cars treat them like a bar of soap, they just keep wearing them down until there is nothing left.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Though it's completely valid, the majority of people who own cars treat them like a bar of soap, they just keep wearing them down until there is nothing left.
Cars, in general, are much more reliable now than they were even just 20 years ago. Cars no longer need tune ups (self-adjusting valves, modern ignition systems, timing chains, long-life spark plugs), oil change intervals are much longer, and electronics will generally last the life of the car. Most people don't own cars long enough to have major issues crop up (unless you're one of a dying breed of enthusiasts.)

On the other hand, people are pressed for time these days. Many people are working longer hours and putting more of their spare time into leisure activities or their children's lives. As long as the car works, it takes a back seat to other things.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

"so easy" to get around in Metro Van? LOOOOL.. I guess she's never been anywhere else in the world. Our transit is GARBAGE. That being said I wish more people would take it then the govnt would see the increased ridership and put more money into it. We need some LRT/Trains.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

haha most teens are too lazy to get it or are scared of failing the tests. A majority of the people I know are eligible but don't go for those reasons. It still boggles my mind how anyone could possibly fail the L test, let alone the N test
AndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

This is the only thing i could picture while reading that article
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
because hipsters, fucking bicycles.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
because hipsters, fucking bicycles.
If you lived in Vancouver, particularly downtown Vancouver, you wouldn't actually need a car.

The rise of condo living is destroying car culture also. You can't do maintenance and you have no room for tools, so if you do have to buy a car, you buy one that doesn't need to be serviced all that much.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Plus, he said, it’s seems like a huge undertaking to get a graduated licence when he’s studying for a combined honours in math and physics. It typically takes about three years get a full class-five driver’s licence.

Wait... what?

Honestly, learning to drive was probably one of the easiest things I've ever done in my life. How hard is it to take an hour, or even half an hour, out of your day every couple days and drive down to the shop and back.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
My dad taught me to drive. The whole process took 2 months I think? Now I think it's a much bigger ordeal with all that GLP program stages and the cost of lessons.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
I don't get it

people should have a driver license even though they dont drive. the process of getting a full class 5 takes long, but the steps (knowledge test and 2 road tests) are not a big deal. plus, your premium goes down every year. so its better to do it now rather than later.

...but a car is very convenient to move stuff around and groceries and taking kids to school and etc etc etc...

if this kelly girl was me, she would be convinced otherwise.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
I dunno, I'm going to school full-time back and forth from White Rock and UBC every day. Although I take the bus, if I had the money to blow I would most certainly prefer driving. The cost of gas and insurance is absolutely bollocks.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote