REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,115 Times in 422 Posts
If you are applying for a specific position, try googling it. ex. when I applied for a Customer service rep. job at panago I just googled "customer service rep" and stuff like "customer service rep requirements/goals/functions" came up and I was able to very specifically list each trait I "have" for the job, that just so happens to match the traits for the position I applied for. - I had no experience when I was hired, except for community voulonteering and school involvements. I just polished up the resume and made sure I came off confident during the interview. (Currently in grade 12).
Advertisement
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #27
I don't get it

mcdonalds always hiring noobs. its a pretty good first job i heard. but the thought of flipping burgers make me
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #28
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Figure out a way to make your own job.... This is the best way. If you can invent your own job.

Otherwise just apply at buttload of places.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #29
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Figure out a way to make your own job.... This is the best way. If you can invent your own job.

Otherwise just apply at buttload of places.
like what? sewing?
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #30
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
mcdonalds always hiring noobs. its a pretty good first job i heard. but the thought of flipping burgers make me
I agree ^. McDonalds is a very easy first job. It definitely will look better on your resume as a lot of employers recognize the training and experience you get. Also try The Real Canadian Superstore for stock person or something.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #31
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Agree with others that interviewing is super important, we ask a lot of "name a time where you ....." type questions, and without much experience it can be pretty hard although you can BS it. There are always some buzz words that interviewers look out for and you might be able to find them on google. Like others have said, your best bet is just to apply and do as many interviews as you can, I learned the most from shitty interviews that I failed at and didn't get the job with.

I've turned down a lot of resumes because of availability, a lot of students want to work full time for summer when they're off classes etc, and then basically quit/work 10 hrs a week in the fall. We don't want to spend the time and money training someone if they're not gonna be around in 6 months time.

My first job was dishwashing at a small but busy restaurant, it was shitty work at first but I didn't even have an interview and was put on the job the first day, better pay than a fast food joint etc. too. I got the hang of it pretty quick and it wasn't half bad afterwards.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
like what? sewing?
If you are at good sewing and can make good money, then by all means, do it.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #33
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Could be the next head designer at Prada for all we know.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #34
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
Indeed

A part time job is designed for one to gain experience and income. You learn basic skills designed to perform a certain set of tasks efficiently and effectively to benefit your employer, and then yourself. It is up to you to take what you can get from that position, whether it be skills, networking, or more.

When you dip your feet into the working world, you realize that there are many ways that you can branch out and develop your talents in different ways not only to benefit your current employer, but to help yourself move up in the world.

It is up to you to figure out which path to take and to move forward and learn from the everyday routine that constitutes a part-time job in the working world. Since OP appears to be a young whippersnapper like many of us trying to attain a better position in this cut-throat world we live in, I suggest that you take what you can get and make the best of it.

Who knows what will happen in the near future, the best thing is to remain vigilant no matter what your position, but to expect for the best, but prepare for the worst.
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #35
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
McDonalds... do it... seriously

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Since you live by north burnaby, there are a ton of restaurants you could apply for: White Spot, Milestones, Cactus Club, etc.

If you have zero experience and wouldn't mind, try applying for a dishwasher position. It might not be the greatest job, but hey its a stepping stone for you. Start off there and work your way up. You do have your Food Safe, why not give it a shot? What's the worst that will happen?

Go in between tues - thurs from 2pm-5pm, usually the best time, because mondays and fridays the management either has meetings or busy dealing with the ordering. Go in and ask for the chef, submit your resume and application form, he might interview you on the spot...

Have fun.

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #37
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Tried working at theatres yet? Its a great way to meet people and the staff there are quite friendly. Also frequently hiring and flexible hours. My advice to you is don't be dependent online. You see a store you want to work at? Go to the store and ask the manager if they are hiring. This shows that you have initiative and is not afraid to go straight up and ask. As a pointer; Save-On foods, PriceMartFoods, etc, are a pain to get into, they usually hire those with stocking/cashier exp. But i'd probably say Safeway is you best bet if you definitely want to go the route of grocery shops. I say this because Safeway are cheeky in the way that they hire vast amounts of PT staff and minimal FT staffs.
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #38
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
goodluck op
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #39
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
stay safe op
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #40
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
McDonalds is an excellent choice for a first job.. I worked there while I was in high school, and kept the job for post secondary. It's great trainging, but the biggest benefit IMO is that McDs is one of the few places that will give you shifts at all hours of the day.

In HS, I had just enough 4 hour shifts to make some money, and maybe a few 8 hour shifts on the weekend, and at BCIT, they were flexible enough to schedule me around school, which, at BCIT, is 8-6 every day.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #41
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Ok, some advice on the subject.

I would try to pick something that is applicable to an interest, or what you want to do in life.

Our goal here isn't to find a company we can advance in or such, but-if you are interested in a career in health care, then find a job that is somewhat involved in health. Construction-become a helper. Warehousing/Logistics/Manufacturing-get an entry level job in that area.

I found, after school when I was interviewing for a job that I got, "well, you have no warehouse experience" well, I had gone to school, and did a practicum and all that, but no, I had not actually moved boxes in a warehouse. My answer was, "well, no, I didn't work in a warehouse. During the time in my life that you would have liked me to have been obtaining warehouse experience, I was busy running people's businesses for them."

So things do relate across fields.

BUT...if you were interested in health care, and you can say, "before school, I worked as a porter, or admin assistant or as a whatever other entry level jobs there are-then went to school for it, and now I'm back" you have a leg up on a lot of other people. I know you want in.

Or do as I did and find something that you can relate across fields. I worked in restaurants. Then I got promoted in restaurants. So I kind of ran a kitchen in a cafe, under guidance of the owner, but had a lot of leeway, then when I moved into Van, I was a manager for Subway(which on the surface was lame...its fucking Subway...BUT, things that I did could directly relate to my resume. I was in control of how well my store did, hiring staff which was huge, expenses and so on) It was those skills that I could use in career jobs. Hiring staff at a subway, and teaching them and training them wasn't all that different than a warehouse. Customer service is customer service. And so on.

In fact, when I was being hired for Subway, he called my boss at the cafe, and she said, "go on vacation, he'll run the place in a week"

Took me a month.

So be thinking what you can obtain out of your shit jobs to get the one you really want. Being a monkey that can only say, "I worked here and did this" on a resume doesn't help. You might need to take a few steps. I worked in some shitty kitchens that wouldn't directly help anything, BUT, as I worked in a higher class kitchen as a grunt, I sold that to the cafe as experience that they weren't able to access. And thus, I was 23 planning menus.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #42
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
apply at the theatres. it was the most fun job ive ever had. all i did was eat popcorn and hangout with ppl and watch movies. cleaning the toilets sucked. but oh well, every job has some aspect that sucks. they typically require you to work on weekends.

with summer coming up, theatres should have extra positions. apply now!

or like everyone says mcdix. it has good regimental training that's recognized across the globe. it's like basic training for entering the workforce. mcdonalds isnt an instant 100% guarantee hire though. just cuz you apply doesn't mean they'll hire you.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #43
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Working at a movie theatre was probably the best part time job I ever had.
Posted via RS Mobile
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #44
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Dishwashing/entry level cooking/barback/bussing jobs are dope for first jobs because it helped me with budgeting at a young age. Tips go towards your fun, and paycheques go towards savings/expenses, or however you plan to do it. When I was 16 getting 100 bucks every couple weeks went a long way for buying weed/colt 45, and the paycheques I made got saved, and went to gas money and insurance, snowboard trips, etc. As someone said before though, it really helps if you have a slight idea in a career path you want to take, because the skills you learn early, although may not directly correspond with your career choice, can indirectly help you a lot.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
April Fools!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #46
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I'm vaguely surprised, to be honest. Based on your previous posts and how well they're usually presented, I assumed you were already well on your way into some sort of career. If you're able to interview as well as some of your posts on Revscene, I don't think you need to worry about that aspect of job hunting.
this...probably just an April fools'
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #47
I don't get it

If you just want ANY job, go to the malls/robson/big box retails and hand out your resume to any place you think you would like to work at. Ask for the supervisor and pass on your resume. Look sharp and try to spark a conversation.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #48
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

heard hes hiring in the summer though
jimmyrustler is offline   Reply With Quote