REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
I don't get it

I need your guys' help-how to get an entry level job?

So I've never had a job before. I'm wondering what strategies you guys could share with me, since I don't have family or friends with job leads, on how to get that first job. When during the week to apply, times of the year where demand for new employees is high, applying it online or in person, resume tips, etc...

Edit: Retail (supermarkets, malls and the like) is what I'm looking for. I once tried to apply to my local Buy-Low during May. The manager of the store told me he had nothing available since high school students had already snapped up all the shifts. That's why I asked about "the best time to apply"-probably a better, all encompassing term would be "the little things/unspoken rules of job searching".

Edit: Why am I getting fails for this? I'm genuinely in need of some advice.
Advertisement

Last edited by BurnoutBinLaden; 04-01-2013 at 07:38 PM.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just apply you pussy.
Posted via RS Mobile
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

More info needed- Co-op? Retail? Industry job pertaining to your major?
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Get volunteer experience first. Make a proper resume, search craigslist, e-mail resumes, follow up with phone calls (or go straight to the place), don't be picky, take anything you can get. Best time to apply is always "now."
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Careers :: McDonalds.ca

Don't give up. Having no experience at all will mean you will be disappointed a lot before someone finally says "lets give this guy a chance". Just stick with the process and eventually it will happen.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
1.) Polish your resume, check for any grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. Make sure it flows nicely. Bring a copy so that you can easily answer questions when your potential employer asks you to come in for an interview.

Also create a generic cover letter that you can modify easily to send out to different potential employers, should only take a couple mins to alter a cover letter to an entry-level restaurant position to a call centre or whatnot.

2.) Check online for ads to apply to, keep microsoft word or notepad open to save the links to everything you want to apply for. Start off with craigslist, monster, kijiji, etc. Also ask your friends to see if their workplace is hiring.

3.) It does not hurt to call the employer first, ask to speak to management, and ask politely if they are accepting resumes. Usually they will say yes, and you can go further to see if they are actually looking for someone to hire in the near future and they will usually answer truthfully. This is a good idea because it shows that you are more interested than most people who simply print out 50 resumes and drop them off and pray that one will call them back.

4.) Make sure to follow up after one week or so to the places that you feel that you have the best chance at getting hired. This little nudge is what can set you apart from others who will probably be too lazy to do even that.

5.) Once you have one or more interviews lined up, make sure you have the proper attire to wear. Have some questions ready for your employer because they will ask you some at the end of the interview. Also do a bit of research on the places you are applying to so that you don't seem like a deer lost in the headlights during your interview. Understand what they need from hiring a candidate and fill those needs by exuding confidence, answering questions they might ask promptly and show initiative early on; That will definitely go a long way.

Now is a pretty good time to start applying for jobs. Employers are always looking for new staff during the summer months ahead. Good luck OP, i'll add more stuff if I forgot later on. It's not so bad getting a job in the entry level position. Just make sure you find something that you can handle and you sort of like so you don't go in hating your job every day.

Treat finding a job like already having a job, what I mean is don't just spend 30 mins everyday randomly applying. Spend a couple hours and be serious about it, and it will reflect strongly on your attitude and commitment and cut the time of finding a job in half or more.
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,503 Times in 4,308 Posts
I hope the e-mail address on your resume isn't BurnoutBinLaden.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Know how to make an actual resume.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Send out your resume everywhere. Don't be selective in where you apply because you don't have anything to "Lose" by applying everywhere. What's the worst that can happen, right?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

apply at the airport...they are always hiring
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
I subscribe to Revscene

1 make cnc machine
2 ???
3 profit
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm vaguely surprised, to be honest. Based on your previous posts and how well they're usually presented, I assumed you were already well on your way into some sort of career. If you're able to interview as well as some of your posts on Revscene, I don't think you need to worry about that aspect of job hunting.

Plenty of companies are always hiring, though many aren't right now. February to April tends to be pretty slow for most retail companies, so they usually implement a hiring freeze. That's not to say that they wont hire you if they think you'll fit in, but it's a little harder. As someone above already mentioned, walk into some stores or give them a call and find out if they're currently looking for people. Even if they aren't, if you give a good impression they may set your application and resume aside or put it on top of the existing pile for future consideration.

If all you're looking for is money and don't care what sort of job you're doing, there's nothing shameful about working for McDonald's or a company like that. In fact McDonald's is (or, at least, used to be) a huge plus when it come to resumes for future careers. It's a very high paced, customer oriented job and by surviving there can prove to a potential employer that you're comfortable with that type of interaction.

Honestly, just print out fifty copies of your resume, print out a few different cover letters, and go for a walk around town for the day. Fill out a bunch of applications and hand out your resumes like it's Halloween.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Many car lots hire lot people around this time of year if you are interested in working at one, I got my first job at a GM dealership by just applying than got a call a week later. I recently got a job at another dealership doing the same thing.

look on craigslist also, but be careful there is a lot of scams and whatnot on there
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Apply for hotels, usually it requires little or no qualifications for entry positions. The best part is there is always room for career developments
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I have a better question.

If you wanted to start from the bottom, and work you're way up, what type of companies are best to work for?
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,691 Posts
In addition to the resume, make a cover letter that is tailored specifically for each job that you are applying for. Give concrete examples in the cover letter of any volunteer experience that you may have.

You may have heard this a thousand times before: Network, network, network. It is truly about who you know AND what you know. Keep in close contact with your friends, relatives, any one who knows about job opportunities.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #17

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
I have a better question.

If you wanted to start from the bottom, and work you're way up, what type of companies are best to work for?
ive found warehouses are pretty good for that, high turnover rates kind of allow you to move up pretty quick. even if you dont they pay their loyal employees really well and have good benefits (in my experience)
ive been offered supervisor / dispatcher / assistant manager jobs plenty of times but turned them down because it doesnt suit me.. i like keeping my head down and just doing mindless work for now.
but the key is the high turnover rates (theres problem a reason for it but tough it out) because working for a union shop / place where your managers or seniors have been there for over 20 years and dont plan on leaving... well thats self explanatory.
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
February to April tends to be pretty slow for most retail companies, so they usually implement a hiring freeze.
So if I'm understanding correctly, immediate hiring will be slow in April but hiring for the summer will be in earnest?

I guess I should mention that I also have a valid Foodsafe Level I, so I wouldn't mind a restaurant job like busser or dishwasher. And I hear that April is a good time to apply as they gear up for summer.

If it helps, I live in North Burnaby and go to school in New West, so Brentwood, Lougheed and Queensborough are easy for me to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
In fact McDonald's is (or, at least, used to be) a huge plus when it come to resumes for future careers.
Are you saying it's no longer so much of an advantage to have McDonald's on my resume? I heard that employers will go hogwild if that happens. They have some sort of hiring event going on the 11th so I might consider that.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #19

"most" franchise restaurants do always keep their employee count well saturated and they tend to hire students for bussing (from my experience). I would maybe suggest.....Red Robins, Denny's, White Spot, and Earls. You will eventually move out of the bussing/dish-washing stage after a bit and usually put you into other spots if available / requested.

Good luck
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Try to get your foot in the door at a Cactus Club or Earls.

Reap rewards if successful.

Maybe study bartending and get promoted.

Reap further rewards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
I don't get it

i think you should start as a busser rather than a dishwasher. you get to talk to customers which looks good on your resume in the future when you become a waiter. also, the tips = $$$ =
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

here is my advice for your situation:

it's about teh cover letter and interview not the resume. make it stand out.

retail jobs like what ur looking for are seasonal - around the holidays etc there's more demand.

ur one of a thousand resumes - stand out. speak to the manager, be aggresive, show ur a good leader

even with a polished resume and great expeirence a typical job hunt takes 2-6 months, u nee to start in order to get some prospects...u can't just keep waiting, u'll need at least a 2 month window

why are you still reading this, get off your ass outside and start passing resumes around already
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #23
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
you want a job planting tulips?

on a side note

i wanna be the dude who cleans the stripper poles

wonder how the pay is
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
Are you saying it's no longer so much of an advantage to have McDonald's on my resume? I heard that employers will go hogwild if that happens. They have some sort of hiring event going on the 11th so I might consider that.
He's just saying he doesn't know whether it still is, but knows that it used to be. AFAIK, it IS still a big plus; apparently in addition to what Lomac listed, McD's has very good training for their people, so they're setting you up with some valuable skills right off the hop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
i wanna be the dude who cleans the stripper poles

wonder how the pay is
All in loonies and twonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #25
My homepage has been set to RS