REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   5 year old kills sister (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683572-5-year-old-kills-sister.html)

tarobbt 05-01-2013 01:13 PM

5 year old kills sister

Boy, five, accidentally kills two-year-old sister with ?gift? gun

BURKESVILLE, Ky. — A five-year-old U.S. boy accidentally shot his two-year-old sister to death with a rifle he had received as a gift last year, authorities said.

The children’s mother was home Tuesday but had stepped onto the porch for “no more than three minutes,” Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told WKYT-TV.

White told the Lexington Herald-Leader newspaper the boy received the .22-calibre rifle, especially made for children, as a gift. He said the rifle was kept in a corner, and the family didn’t realize a bullet was left inside it.

White said the shooting was an accident. He did not return a telephone call from The Associated Press on Wednesday.

State police said the shooting occurred when the boy was “playing” with the rifle. It is not clear whether any charges will be filed, said Kentucky State Police spokesman Trooper Billy Gregory.

White identified the gun as a Crickett, referring to a company that specifically makes guns, clothes and books for children. “It’s a little rifle for a kid. ... The little boy’s used to shooting the little gun.”

Keystone Sporting Arms produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles in 2008, according to its website. It also makes guns for adults.

The company’s slogan is “my first rifle,” and its website has a “Kids Corner” section with photos of children at shooting ranges and on bird and deer hunts.

“The goal of KSA is to instil gun safety in the minds of youth shooters and encourage them to gain the knowledge and respect that hunting and shooting activities require and deserve,” the website said.

No one at the company answered the phone Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/fiv...#ixzz2S4tEMqyg

Guns for kids? I only received nerf or water guns when I was a kid :seriously:

Mr.HappySilp 05-01-2013 01:21 PM

who left the bullet in it?

CRS 05-01-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8226216)
who left the bullet in it?

Who the fuck cares?

The real question is...

Why the fuck does a 5 year old have .22 rifle and who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give a firearm to a child?

jeedee 05-01-2013 01:25 PM

"He said the rifle was kept in a corner, and the family didn’t realize a bullet was left inside it."

i dont even........

:facepalm:

Seriously? A RIFLE as a gift for a 5 year old.... the only gun I got as a gift as a kid were the ones that made sounds :seriously:

Presto 05-01-2013 01:30 PM

Irresponsible parents that are irresponsible gun owners. The age of the child isn't as big a issue as their storage technique of tucking it in the corner.

fsy82 05-01-2013 01:32 PM

America fails again..

StylinRed 05-01-2013 01:38 PM

this is what i had when i was 5

http://www.esnarf.com/4884.jpg

not one of these.... comes in pink for girls too.....

http://i.imgur.com/pT8ZksY.jpg?1http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8eGMUD6wTf...FirstRifle.jpg

Gumby 05-01-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarobbt (Post 8226214)
“The goal of KSA is to instil gun safety in the minds of youth shooters and encourage them to gain the knowledge and respect that hunting and shooting activities require and deserve,” the website said.

So much for gun safety!

But it's extremely sad to hear that the boy accidentally killed his sister. :(

Matlock 05-01-2013 01:54 PM

Ok, the thought of a 5 year old having a gun while under strict supervision doesn't bother me as long as they learn that it's not a toy and to respect it for what it is.

The part that bothers me is that it was just left there for the kid to shoot his sister. Stupid parents, they should shoot them in the heads.

GLOW 05-01-2013 02:24 PM

inb4 NRA releasing some insensitive comment about the incident

twitchyzero 05-01-2013 02:27 PM

fuck can you imagine growing up knowing you killed your sister at the age of 5 because of your retarded parents?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8226253)

"If only the 2 year old girl had a snubnosed handgun...she would've been able to fend for herself"

freakshow 05-01-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 8226235)
Ok, the thought of a 5 year old having a gun while under strict supervision doesn't bother me as long as they learn that it's not a toy and to respect it for what it is.

Not sure if you've spent a lot of time with 5 year olds.

I have two nephews, one 5 and one 6. They definitely should not ever, ever, ever hold a real gun at that age.

gars 05-01-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8226272)
Not sure if you've spent a lot of time with 5 year olds.

I have two nephews, one 5 and one 6. They definitely should not ever, ever, ever hold a real gun at that age.

I don't see a problem with a 5 year old holding or shooting a rifle. I would always be sitting beside them while they were shooting, and would never let him play with it, even if it was unloaded. Rifles aren't toys, and a child can be taught that at a young age.

That, and if I had a 5 year old in my house and I had firearms in my house, I would definitely have them locked up, as opposed to "sitting in the corner".

dinosaur 05-01-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8226253)

The NRA will probably suggest she should have been armed to protect herself.

quasi 05-01-2013 03:12 PM

I grew up in a house full of guns mostly not locked up, the early 80's was a different time. I have a couple younger children at home I don't know if I would totally be opposed to either of them shooting well supervised but I unlike my father would sure as hell make sure there locked up and unloaded when not in use. I was taught at a young age you don't point guns at people ever.

This kid is going to have to live with this as are the parents, there are only victims in this scenario.

westopher 05-01-2013 03:13 PM

"If the kid didn't have the gun, he would have used a knife or pencil, or pipe bomb"
Right gun nuts? I'm no anti-gun nut either, but its terrifying to think any people believe the U.S. doesn't need gun law reform of at least some extent. I'm aware this is irresponsible parenting, and legally they probably were required to lock up the gun, but this is one of many events where the general population has proven themselves too irresponsible to take appropriate action themselves, so its time for Father government to ground his kids. Also, marketing LETHAL weapons to children is fucking batshit crazy.

miss_crayon 05-01-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 8226235)

The part that bothers me is that it was just left there for the kid to shoot his sister. Stupid parents, they should shoot them in the heads.

The attention span of a 5 year old is...OOO LOOK AT THIS SHINY PENNY!!

And respect a gun for what it is? HE'S 5!!! Even the most well behaved children wouldn't understand what a gun could really do.

But really, why anyone would give a kid a gun is beyond me. I get it, some people love hunting as hobby (some even call it an art) but seriously..they can't wait a couple years when they're a little older and more grown in the mind to start shoot something?

SpartanAir 05-01-2013 05:11 PM

Hmm, when I was young, none of my friends ever shot and killed their siblings.

BECAUSE NONE OF MY FRIENDS HAD GUNS. FUNNY THAT.

No, no, please. Continue to produce 60,000 guns per year designed for children. Everything will be great.

vitaminG 05-01-2013 06:00 PM

noventa 05-01-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 8226311)
The attention span of a 5 year old is...OOO LOOK AT THIS SHINY PENNY!!

And respect a gun for what it is? HE'S 5!!! Even the most well behaved children wouldn't understand what a gun could really do.

But really, why anyone would give a kid a gun is beyond me. I get it, some people love hunting as hobby (some even call it an art) but seriously..they can't wait a couple years when they're a little older and more grown in the mind to start shoot something?

I don't know if you been around many 5 year olds, but some of them are plenty smart.
A 5 year old would definitely understand the destruction of a misused firearm. I have seen five year old plays pianos and violins all my life and you would be surprise how much a five year old can do.

As for the shooting part, not all people are "hobby" shooters. Perhaps they wanted to start him at a young age some he can more experience.

In this case though, the child's parents are guilty for not safely keeping the rifle.

VRYALT3R3D 05-01-2013 06:51 PM

Instead of blaming the NRA, you should be blaming the parents for poor parenting. The gun should have been in a safe. SHould have never left a 5 year old alone with a gun. Very poor parenting.

Manic! 05-01-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noventa (Post 8226491)
I don't know if you been around many 5 year olds, but some of them are plenty smart.
A 5 year old would definitely understand the destruction of a misused firearm. I have seen five year old plays pianos and violins all my life and you would be surprise how much a five year old can do.

As for the shooting part, not all people are "hobby" shooters. Perhaps they wanted to start him at a young age some he can more experience.

In this case though, the child's parents are guilty for not safely keeping the rifle.

Trust me I have spent a lot of time with my niece and nephew and they are very smart but I would never let them use a gun at 5. Thats way to much respectability for a 5 year old. There is no good reason for a 5 year old to know how to use a gun.

SpuGen 05-01-2013 07:17 PM

You can't trust anybody, at any age with a gun.

What made them think it was okay for them to buy thier 5 year old a gun in the first place?

Yodamaster 05-01-2013 07:24 PM

I don't see the problem with a five year old recieving a .22 as a gift, I do see a problem with it laying around with a live round in the chamber. The only time he should be handling it is when his parents are right beside him, watching.

Bad parenting, bad gun owners.

Manic! 05-01-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 8226540)
You can't trust anybody, at any age with a gun.

What made them think it was okay for them to buy thier 5 year old a gun in the first place?

Marketing by the gun company and the NRA.