REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

5 year old kills sister

Boy, five, accidentally kills two-year-old sister with ?gift? gun

BURKESVILLE, Ky. — A five-year-old U.S. boy accidentally shot his two-year-old sister to death with a rifle he had received as a gift last year, authorities said.

The children’s mother was home Tuesday but had stepped onto the porch for “no more than three minutes,” Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told WKYT-TV.

White told the Lexington Herald-Leader newspaper the boy received the .22-calibre rifle, especially made for children, as a gift. He said the rifle was kept in a corner, and the family didn’t realize a bullet was left inside it.

White said the shooting was an accident. He did not return a telephone call from The Associated Press on Wednesday.

State police said the shooting occurred when the boy was “playing” with the rifle. It is not clear whether any charges will be filed, said Kentucky State Police spokesman Trooper Billy Gregory.

White identified the gun as a Crickett, referring to a company that specifically makes guns, clothes and books for children. “It’s a little rifle for a kid. ... The little boy’s used to shooting the little gun.”

Keystone Sporting Arms produced 60,000 Crickett and Chipmunk rifles in 2008, according to its website. It also makes guns for adults.

The company’s slogan is “my first rifle,” and its website has a “Kids Corner” section with photos of children at shooting ranges and on bird and deer hunts.

“The goal of KSA is to instil gun safety in the minds of youth shooters and encourage them to gain the knowledge and respect that hunting and shooting activities require and deserve,” the website said.

No one at the company answered the phone Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/fiv...#ixzz2S4tEMqyg

Guns for kids? I only received nerf or water guns when I was a kid
Advertisement
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
who left the bullet in it?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
who left the bullet in it?
Who the fuck cares?

The real question is...

Why the fuck does a 5 year old have .22 rifle and who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give a firearm to a child?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #4

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
"He said the rifle was kept in a corner, and the family didn’t realize a bullet was left inside it."

i dont even........

Seriously? A RIFLE as a gift for a 5 year old.... the only gun I got as a gift as a kid were the ones that made sounds
Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Irresponsible parents that are irresponsible gun owners. The age of the child isn't as big a issue as their storage technique of tucking it in the corner.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

America fails again..
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
this is what i had when i was 5

not one of these.... comes in pink for girls too.....

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post
“The goal of KSA is to instil gun safety in the minds of youth shooters and encourage them to gain the knowledge and respect that hunting and shooting activities require and deserve,” the website said.
So much for gun safety!

But it's extremely sad to hear that the boy accidentally killed his sister.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Ok, the thought of a 5 year old having a gun while under strict supervision doesn't bother me as long as they learn that it's not a toy and to respect it for what it is.

The part that bothers me is that it was just left there for the kid to shoot his sister. Stupid parents, they should shoot them in the heads.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
inb4 NRA releasing some insensitive comment about the incident

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
fuck can you imagine growing up knowing you killed your sister at the age of 5 because of your retarded parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
"If only the 2 year old girl had a snubnosed handgun...she would've been able to fend for herself"
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Ok, the thought of a 5 year old having a gun while under strict supervision doesn't bother me as long as they learn that it's not a toy and to respect it for what it is.
Not sure if you've spent a lot of time with 5 year olds.

I have two nephews, one 5 and one 6. They definitely should not ever, ever, ever hold a real gun at that age.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Not sure if you've spent a lot of time with 5 year olds.

I have two nephews, one 5 and one 6. They definitely should not ever, ever, ever hold a real gun at that age.
I don't see a problem with a 5 year old holding or shooting a rifle. I would always be sitting beside them while they were shooting, and would never let him play with it, even if it was unloaded. Rifles aren't toys, and a child can be taught that at a young age.

That, and if I had a 5 year old in my house and I had firearms in my house, I would definitely have them locked up, as opposed to "sitting in the corner".
Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
The NRA will probably suggest she should have been armed to protect herself.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #15

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I grew up in a house full of guns mostly not locked up, the early 80's was a different time. I have a couple younger children at home I don't know if I would totally be opposed to either of them shooting well supervised but I unlike my father would sure as hell make sure there locked up and unloaded when not in use. I was taught at a young age you don't point guns at people ever.

This kid is going to have to live with this as are the parents, there are only victims in this scenario.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #16

Thanked 31,017 Times in 7,108 Posts
"If the kid didn't have the gun, he would have used a knife or pencil, or pipe bomb"
Right gun nuts? I'm no anti-gun nut either, but its terrifying to think any people believe the U.S. doesn't need gun law reform of at least some extent. I'm aware this is irresponsible parenting, and legally they probably were required to lock up the gun, but this is one of many events where the general population has proven themselves too irresponsible to take appropriate action themselves, so its time for Father government to ground his kids. Also, marketing LETHAL weapons to children is fucking batshit crazy.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Director of RS Cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post

The part that bothers me is that it was just left there for the kid to shoot his sister. Stupid parents, they should shoot them in the heads.
The attention span of a 5 year old is...OOO LOOK AT THIS SHINY PENNY!!

And respect a gun for what it is? HE'S 5!!! Even the most well behaved children wouldn't understand what a gun could really do.

But really, why anyone would give a kid a gun is beyond me. I get it, some people love hunting as hobby (some even call it an art) but seriously..they can't wait a couple years when they're a little older and more grown in the mind to start shoot something?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Hmm, when I was young, none of my friends ever shot and killed their siblings.

BECAUSE NONE OF MY FRIENDS HAD GUNS. FUNNY THAT.

No, no, please. Continue to produce 60,000 guns per year designed for children. Everything will be great.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts

Last edited by vitaminG; 05-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
The attention span of a 5 year old is...OOO LOOK AT THIS SHINY PENNY!!

And respect a gun for what it is? HE'S 5!!! Even the most well behaved children wouldn't understand what a gun could really do.

But really, why anyone would give a kid a gun is beyond me. I get it, some people love hunting as hobby (some even call it an art) but seriously..they can't wait a couple years when they're a little older and more grown in the mind to start shoot something?
I don't know if you been around many 5 year olds, but some of them are plenty smart.
A 5 year old would definitely understand the destruction of a misused firearm. I have seen five year old plays pianos and violins all my life and you would be surprise how much a five year old can do.

As for the shooting part, not all people are "hobby" shooters. Perhaps they wanted to start him at a young age some he can more experience.

In this case though, the child's parents are guilty for not safely keeping the rifle.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #21
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Instead of blaming the NRA, you should be blaming the parents for poor parenting. The gun should have been in a safe. SHould have never left a 5 year old alone with a gun. Very poor parenting.
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noventa View Post
I don't know if you been around many 5 year olds, but some of them are plenty smart.
A 5 year old would definitely understand the destruction of a misused firearm. I have seen five year old plays pianos and violins all my life and you would be surprise how much a five year old can do.

As for the shooting part, not all people are "hobby" shooters. Perhaps they wanted to start him at a young age some he can more experience.

In this case though, the child's parents are guilty for not safely keeping the rifle.
Trust me I have spent a lot of time with my niece and nephew and they are very smart but I would never let them use a gun at 5. Thats way to much respectability for a 5 year old. There is no good reason for a 5 year old to know how to use a gun.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
You can't trust anybody, at any age with a gun.

What made them think it was okay for them to buy thier 5 year old a gun in the first place?
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
I don't see the problem with a five year old recieving a .22 as a gift, I do see a problem with it laying around with a live round in the chamber. The only time he should be handling it is when his parents are right beside him, watching.

Bad parenting, bad gun owners.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,355 Times in 3,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
You can't trust anybody, at any age with a gun.

What made them think it was okay for them to buy thier 5 year old a gun in the first place?
Marketing by the gun company and the NRA.