REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Hong Kong the most Racist City in the World (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684235-hong-kong-most-racist-city-world.html)

SkinnyPupp 05-18-2013 02:34 AM

Hong Kong the most Racist City in the World

According to this article at least...

Probably no surprising considering the lack of racial diversity there.. It's interesting to see the difference between HK and Taiwan and Mainland China though, not sure what causes that. And on the other hand, countries like Australia and Russia are not very diverse either... in fact you can compare the maps directly:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...acism-map3.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...p-harvard2.jpg

Having been there for over 7 years now I have to say that I don't really ever notice overt or malicious racism. You definitely notice a lot of preconceptions and certain expectations ("we ordered the sweet and sour pork for you!"). It is definitely worse when directed to other races though (just heard from my sister's school that a parent asked if there were any Indian or Filipino students, and when she said no she replied "Oh good, I don't want my child mixing with them." :fulloffuck:

BBMme 05-18-2013 02:47 AM

That's interesting, makes sense, when I was younger my parents didn't want me hanging with white kids lol
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 05-18-2013 03:13 AM

not surprised it's so ingrained that it seems normal to them to the point they dont think they're being rude

but im surprised the usa and australia arent higher up in the percentages

RevYouUp 05-18-2013 03:16 AM

Unless they asked the whole population, these things are meaningless and stupid
Posted via RS Mobile

bballguy 05-18-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevYouUp (Post 8240099)
Posted via RS Mobile

wat...

q0192837465 05-18-2013 06:50 AM

Hk is weird. I think the study would be more meaningful if it goes into which race. I'm sure most honger won't mind being neighbors with a white guy. They just don't like Indian and south eastern and black. In short, anyone with darker color skin. My grandparents still consider Filipino and Indian as lower class citizens.
Posted via RS Mobile

fobulaus 05-18-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevYouUp (Post 8240099)
Posted via RS Mobile

I think a statistics course could really help you in life

asian_XL 05-18-2013 07:21 AM

Here's the ranking in Hongers' mind

1) White (are the master and good people, they shine their shoes)
2) Japanese (only the popstars and AV girls are god to them)
3) Twangers and Koreans
4) Mainlander China (no matter how much they make, they are lower class)
5) People with dark skin (fuck, don't touch me)

So Skinny should survive no problem in Hong Kong lol

Hondaracer 05-18-2013 08:21 AM

Russia may not have big cultural diversity but Russia is so big that they have people who are born and bread like 10th generation Russian who look Asian, or Indian, or straight up European I found while I was there. Their borders touch so many counties they are at least used to seeing people who appear to be another race
Posted via RS Mobile

SkinnyPupp 05-18-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8240122)
Here's the ranking in Hongers' mind

1) White (are the master and good people, they shine their shoes)
2) Japanese (only the popstars and AV girls are god to them)
3) Twangers and Koreans
4) Mainlander China (no matter how much they make, they are lower class)
5) People with dark skin (fuck, don't touch me)

So Skinny should survive no problem in Hong Kong lol

Interesting observation... I won't say stupid.. but interesting. We should meet up so you can shine my shoes :)

BurnoutBinLaden 05-18-2013 10:35 AM

Unfortunately overt racism is very common in East Asia. Dark skinned SE Asians are heavily discriminated against, as are Arabs and Africans. Millennia of ethnic homogeneousness and a Confucian style belief that (Chinese/Koreans/Japanese) are superior above all will do that.

For example: In Korean society, if a Korean dates anyone that is not another pure-blooded Korean, they have shamed their family. They can expect to get disowned or worse. Now I'm told that this is more the older generation in South Korea that keeps this going, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are younger Koreans in Vancouver who harbour this awful sentiment.

Ludepower 05-18-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden (Post 8240191)
Unfortunately overt racism is very common in East Asia. Dark skinned SE Asians are heavily discriminated against, as are Arabs and Africans. Millennia of ethnic homogeneousness and a Confucian style belief that (Chinese/Koreans/Japanese) are superior above all will do that.

For example: In Korean society, if a Korean dates anyone that is not another pure-blooded Korean, they have shamed their family. They can expect to get disowned or worse. Now I'm told that this is more the older generation in South Korea that keeps this going, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are younger Koreans in Vancouver who harbour this awful sentiment.

All things being equal...I would marry a wife of my race. There's a stronger bond growing up in the same culture.

drunkrussian 05-18-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8240140)
Russia may not have big cultural diversity but Russia is so big that they have people who are born and bread like 10th generation Russian who look Asian, or Indian, or straight up European I found while I was there. Their borders touch so many counties they are at least used to seeing people who appear to be another race
Posted via RS Mobile

Russians can be pretty racist too tho. Like kazaks, who look korean but are russian... They would make fun of their accents and shit like that. In the whole tho, i do find Chinese and possibly Indian cultures to be far more racist. India often to its own people
Posted via RS Mobile

Ikkaku 05-18-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden (Post 8240191)

It's not limited to Koreans. This happens worldwide, but especially prevalent in previous generations.

My grandmother was never able to envision that there would be a British, Korean, Filipino and a Jewish people in our fairly traditional Chinese family, but it happened.

DC5-S 05-18-2013 12:09 PM

I should find a Chinese girl to fuck then rub it in her parents face
Posted via RS Mobile

yray 05-18-2013 12:10 PM

^ends up getting married to the girl and disowned by own family :troll:

BurnoutBinLaden 05-18-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8240240)
^ends up getting married to the girl and disowned by own family :troll:

I've heard of Pakistani girls in the UK dating white guys, and when their parents find out they send her back to Pakistan never to be seen again.

knight604 05-18-2013 12:54 PM

My super traditional parents say..

TRUST NO ONE.

KO7 05-18-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8240162)
Interesting observation... I won't say stupid.. but interesting. We should meet up so you can shine my shoes :)

http://img.pandawhale.com/36243-slow...son-w-JFoV.gif

RevYouUp 05-18-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fobulaus (Post 8240120)
I think a statistics course could really help you in life

Yea it did, I see no sample size in the article for the survey they did. They used percentages.. 3 out of 4 people is 75%.. You get the point.. How many of you guys ever did this survey? Which part of Canada did they ask? For example, if they asked only people in vancouver the results will be much more different than up north.
Posted via RS Mobile

SpeedStars 05-18-2013 01:16 PM

I'm not surprised Hong Kong was the most racist. However, I would say that in my traditional Chinese family, no one really hoLDS amy biases towards being in a relationship with any one particular race
Posted via RS Mobile

Lomac 05-18-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevYouUp (Post 8240277)
Yea it did, I see no sample size in the article for the survey they did. They used percentages.. 3 out of 4 people is 75%.. You get the point.. How many of you guys ever did this survey? Which part of Canada did they ask? For example, if they asked only people in vancouver the results will be much more different than up north.
Posted via RS Mobile

Relevant:

Surveys Gone Bad ? When ?Yes? means ?No? « CEME Inclusive Commerce Blog

Mike Oxbig 05-18-2013 02:31 PM

I thought all hongers believe that White is superior but they are numbskulls.

Honger feels superior when they rip off Euro tourist on lady street :troll:

Harvey Specter 05-18-2013 02:32 PM

India's so racist and everyone's brown, lol. For Indian's it's all about your caste but mind you Indians' prefer light skinned Indians, look at Bollywood.

4444 05-18-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8240098)
not surprised it's so ingrained that it seems normal to them to the point they dont think they're being rude

but im surprised the usa and australia arent higher up in the percentages

US is built on immigration and is a melting pot - the issue arises when the more ignorant ppl come in contact with people who do not assimilate. I think you are using these rarer than not situations (although get spread on tv like wildfire) to allow urself to think that America is some racist place, when really, it isn't.

Any country is going to have ignorant people, we're just exposed to it more bc of the amount of tv coverage it gets in the US