REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Riding a motorcycle without a supervisor (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684968-riding-motorcycle-without-supervisor.html)

Greatdane 06-07-2013 01:43 AM

Riding a motorcycle without a supervisor

Hey there,

Just wondering what the penalty would be for riding a motorcycle with your learners and without a full licensed supervisor.

dygital 06-07-2013 05:11 AM

Don't do it, it's a stupid idea.

MikeHB 06-07-2013 05:30 AM

Probably 'driving contrary to restrictions' 3 points and I think $100 ticket. Not worth it.
Posted via RS Mobile

melloman 06-07-2013 09:00 AM

^^ about that. I'd think the ticket would be either $167 or $196.. and don't forget a immediate tow on the motorcycle. (Tow fee's and impound fee aswell)

?NR 06-07-2013 10:11 AM

voids insurance as well.
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 06-07-2013 12:32 PM

Ticket for No DL or drive contrary to restrictions, points & penalty fees, driving prohibition, reset of your learner time clock and re-instatement fees, tow/storage fees for bike, stranded roadside, no insurance coverage in a crash....need any more?

sho_bc 06-07-2013 09:23 PM

Roadside, you face a VT for Drive Contrary To Restrictions (s. 25(15) MVA, $109) for as many restrictions as you're not abiding by, a 7 day impound of the motorcycle, and a taxi if requested. You'll also have the tow fee, the storage fee.

The OSMV may chose to prohibit you from driving for as long as they please (depending on your licence, points, how they feel that day, etc).

bcrdukes 06-08-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8255439)
Ticket for No DL or drive contrary to restrictions, points & penalty fees, driving prohibition, reset of your learner time clock and re-instatement fees, tow/storage fees for bike, stranded roadside, no insurance coverage in a crash....need any more?

The above happened to somebody I know (not a personal friend.)

Needless to say, public transit is now his ride.

Yeah. Don't do it. Not a good idea.

zulutango 06-08-2013 04:37 AM

When the restrictions are listed in writing on the very Dl you hold in your wallet, there is no way of being "mistaken". It is a very bad choice to ignore them and pretend that the consequences won't happen if you get caught....wanna bet they will try it anyway and then come back here whining about how unfair it all is?

Iceman-19 06-08-2013 04:50 AM

Why would you stop for the ticket if you know you are breaking the law?

dn53 06-08-2013 06:19 AM

the only restriction that bothers me is not being able to ride at night after completion of the mst test.. im over and done with that but still i feel for riders who are learning and cannot learn past dusk where traffic is often more alleviated. and yet, we see scooter riders with little restriction rippin around town with no nighttime issues.

Inaii 06-08-2013 11:32 AM

I don't understand the night restriction, is there a particular reason for it? I know things are harder to see at night (and especially during dusk) but how does that affect a person's ability to ride? How are they going to learn to ride safely at night if they can't practice it?

SoNaRWaVe 06-08-2013 09:55 PM

its the same restriction that you have when you have your 7L when you try to learn to drive a car. my guess is that ICBC needs to test you to make sure you know your stuff before letting you roam the night. MST test and the actual road test are quite different for those that don't know it. night time riding is just that much more dangerous.

Inaii 06-08-2013 10:38 PM

I get that, but how are people supposed to learn to ride at night if they're not allowed to do so when they have a supervisor (someone with more experience that could help out in a potentially dangerous situation)? If you have your class 5, you can get your full bike license in what, a month? Does that month of riding (without the ability to try riding past dusk) really prepare you for riding at night? I've never ridden before but I'm wanting to get into it (waiting for my class 5), I guess I just don't understand why ICBC made it that way.

And I'm not saying it's wrong, just trying to understand it (I've never understood the time restriction on 7L licenses either).

sho_bc 06-09-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe (Post 8256494)
its the same restriction that you have when you have your 7L when you try to learn to drive a car. my guess is that ICBC needs to test you to make sure you know your stuff before letting you roam the night. MST test and the actual road test are quite different for those that don't know it. night time riding is just that much more dangerous.

The restriction as a 7L for 4-wheeled vehicles is not the same. You can still drive after dark, but I believe the time restrictions cut in at midnight and end at 5am.