REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #101
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,551 Times in 1,155 Posts
I just wished they turned on the lights so I could get some better photos.
Advertisement
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #102
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Teggin View Post
Yeah honestly the big back drop from team empire kind of made a false wall and seemed to cut off a lot of traffic in the back row where we were parked. Once it was down, the show "looked" bigger. I think if teams are to have large backdrops like that they should be givin the space at a wall so to not block out 1/8th of the show. All in all. This is my second big show I've entered now. I had fun meeting people and just setting up etc.
I feel you, and if we blocked anyone we're sorry about that. The organizers knew how are setup was gonna look. Where they placed us, we didn't really have any control over it. But I had that equipment booked for weeks and wasn't gonna let $1k work of equipment go down the drain.

Quote:
I thought the judging was odd. They didnt seem to judge every car. Kind of seemed like they just picked and chose what csrs to bother judgjing
Posted via RS Mobile
As for the judging, I totally agree with you. I personally thought the judging was shit. I mean yeah our team won a some but was still very disappointed. I waited by my car the whole show and a judge never came. I asked another judge who walked by when this area was going to be judged and he told me they're all judged already. I told him I waited here the whole show and I didn't see anyone. He told me some judging was the day before (roll-in day) and some judging before doors opened. Which is fucked up because once I was done cleaning and polishing during roll-in, I locked the car over night. So its not like they can judge the trunk or interior, nor can I explain any custom work done. I couldn't even hook up power to the car until the doors opened on show day. I've also seen some judges judge a car in literally 15 seconds (picked up mod sheet, ticked score sheet and walked off. Didn't even walk around the car). Sure maybe I'm being bitter but that's still unprofessional. And what was the deal with announcing winners at random times instead of all at once at the end?
YaKuZa_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #103
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
I paid $27 at the door. I didn't get in for free. I have been to every show this city has ever hosted as both a contestant and a spectator. I provided some tangible feedback/observations.

The venue space that was allocated to them was filled. The space that was allocated though represents a TINY percentage of the total convention space/volume in the venue. My point being that the show was swallowed up by the size of the venue and the venue itself worked against the event's attempts to build atmosphere...

It's not 2002-2008 and it's pretty obvious the industry/culture has changed in a way that filling the floor of BC Place isn't necessarily realistic, but the choice of venue plays into the success/atmosphere of the event.

To suggest that I have a chip on my shoulder against the organizers is absurd. If they are business savvy individuals, even if the event was a financial success, they should be campaigning for feedback in an effort to improve the show and ensure people continue to attend in the future. If they don't, the perceptions might be that this was merely a quick $27-a-head cash grab. That said, given the strength of the DTP brand I am sure their intent is to build a profitable and sustainable event and I'm sure they would be happy to listen to tangible feedback.
I totally agree. I took my wife this year, it was her very first show and it was sad to say it was bad. Very low attendance and why were all the cars roped off? I can get closer at a RS meet.. LOL

This is the last paid event i am ever going to...

On a side note, i should of attended the luxury car show the previous weekend. haha
Old 09-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #104
RS Veteran

No apologies needed! It's just the way they had organized it so it wasn't your guy's fault. Your entire display was amazing!

That is the thing that bothered me the most. Expecting judges to come to each car. I stayed as long as I could by my car but at one point or another, everyone gets hungry It was soon realized that I wasn't going to be judged at all. I was not expecting to win what so ever with some of the competition there, but it would have been nice like you said, to show the judges special custom things that no one would ever know about unless shown.

Can't wait for the RS spring meet!

Follow Me on Instagram @ tommtomm84

02 BMW M3 - Supercharged
94 BMW 318 - M3'd and M50'd - SOLD
90 Integra GS-Turbo - 11.180 @ 140.86mph DOT Tires - SOLD
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #105
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I was actually around VCC on Saturday at Cactus then Rogue and I didn't even see any indication that DTP was going on inside to draw in the public or casual folk.
^ This. Walking to the event, I had no idea a show was going on. Literally had to search it out, and the only way I knew I was on the right path was when I spotted the RC cars while going down the escalator.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #106
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I think something that people need to consider is you've got that exotic show that just soaked $50 out of people to attend, so to have someone else have a show for $25, you will have a LOT of people re-thinking their decisions on what to attend.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #107
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
I was there the whole day(12+ hrs) and I actually thought it was a decent put together show. With the show being about open for 10hrs, attendance is going to appear up and down, I remember seeing lots of people at certain hours and less during other hours.

You guys are a hard crowd to please. I thought the entertainment was actually pretty good. And yeah its a local car show, so of course you'll have your usual suspects, but most of these cars are BUILDS that PROGRESS over time so things change on them. I attended about 6 car shows/meets in Seattle this year, and I saw a lot the same cars, but there were changes to their builds and it was cool to talk to the owners about it etc.

Last edited by k3lv; 09-16-2013 at 04:10 PM.
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #108
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

first ever dtp *_*
always_caps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #109
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts

> 2005 Acura TSX ASPEC <
> 2003 Acura RSX-S <
> 1994 Acura Intergra LS <
> 1994 Honda Civic SI <
> 1991 Acura Integra GS < ( RIP )

Last edited by -EuroRSN-; 09-16-2013 at 09:26 PM.
-EuroRSN- is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 AM   #110
I bringith the lowerballerith

over all i think the show is good, high quality turn out at most,
but i think the organizers should screen out the cars before they let them enter, some cars really dont belong in the show.....!!

and people should respect that DTP is a car show, not a parking lot by the mall......."SHOW ur car" !! .......there are too many show cars just PARKED in the area.....owner isnt there, no any sort of display...then whats the point in bringing the car to the show.....give some respect, and give it some type of display damn it !

Air'd Out Honda Fit
Rb30 BNR32
felixy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #111
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixy69 View Post
over all i think the show is good, high quality turn out at most,
but i think the organizers should screen out the cars before they let them enter, some cars really dont belong in the show.....!!

and people should respect that DTP is a car show, not a parking lot by the mall......."SHOW ur car" !! .......there are too many show cars just PARKED in the area.....owner isnt there, no any sort of display...then whats the point in bringing the car to the show.....give some respect, and give it some type of display damn it !
I don't think screening is a good idea.. You might push away half the scene. Maybe all their money was thrown into footwork and the body is banged up, sure it'. A little bit of an eye sore at. A "car show" but the community has to grow some how. Also, not everybody has the disposable income to throw around to rent out backdrops, set up banners and bright lights. Should they turn away those that just want to show off their hard work on something they love? Can't please everybody.

Like honestly, I didnt think I belonged in the show, my friends invited me to join them for the experience and just have a little feel good time having any random person check out our cars, I wouldn't pay 50$ to be stuck in the furthest corner behind a trailer and a hummer otherwise.

Derp. I drive a fit with minor body work and boost. I love it, I had fun with my friends in their S2's and enjoyed how some people thought my car was cute.

PS: they goofed. On the lighting.
Posted via RS Mobile
PDKGD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #112
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts
That fucking ugly ass orange Nsx should have stayed home. Why ruin a beautiful car like that?
Posted via RS Mobile
-EuroRSN- is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lv View Post
Spoiler!
Also I forgot to add, how does a show continue to grow when all you locals bash the event? I find you guys are way too over critical about these events and are not open minded enough to help the car community grow in Vancouver. I thought DTP was way better than ImportFest we had earlier in the year. Hopefully that is a sign of better things to come as we SUPPORT the local car scene in a POSITIVE WAY
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #114
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

K3lv couldn't have said it better. I was there for the roll-in and for the whole show. I was really excited with the whole setup during the roll-in. Lights were bright and at the NEW convention center...how sick was that? When the show started it was dim to the point that I couldn't see the fine details on the builds.

I thought the mod-list on dash was a bittersweet idea. It was great to see what parts were in the car and work involved, but it was sour to see people "lying" on paper. Maybe it's an ego thing.....can't fool an enthusiast.

The people to blame here is RS!! They do such a great job for our seasonal/weekly meets and it's essentially "free" for us to participate. Paying $20 for a show within months of an RS meet is just bad timing for DTP perhaps?

All and all no regrets. $20 is like going to the movie and having no idea of the turn out. Supports the industry so we can have events like this. I enjoyed DTP, the staff was great and so was the entertainment.

PS. For all the people thinking it was 'depressing', go to the show with a bunch of a buddies. If all the cars were rust buckets, good company > all.
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #115
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

people who complain I would say you want a better show build your car and pay to have it in the show then

A show can only be as good as they people who are in it. Lack of people = no show.

I thought it was better than ImportFest but a bit disappointing for how unorganized it was
Old 09-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #116
RS controls my life!

Agreed. I thought they show itself was actually pretty good. Very nice quality cars there (many projects I've never seen and many that don't go the the RS meets.). Some of the builds were truly amazing and inspiring. There was good/decent entertainment. There could have been more models and more spectators, but all in all I thought it was far better than ImportFest. I just wasn't really happy with the organization and judging at DTP. I'm pretty surprized they dimmed the lights because all previous DTP shows were not. Not too sure if they wanted that HIN vibe.

Personally I don't think $20 is that bad for tickets, but the $27 at the door I thought was a little much. But all these crybabies about "why am I paying to see all these local cars" I mean what do you expect? Putting on shows costs money. Don't like car shows? then don't go. Don't like paying? then don't go. Nobody is twisting anyone's arm here. If you've been to previous car shows you pretty much know what to expect. It seems like everyone's expectations are just too high. I mean you can't really expect it to be at the same level as SEMA or like any car shows in Cali. That's just my .02 cents
YaKuZa_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #117
2-Wheelin' Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lv View Post
Also I forgot to add, how does a show continue to grow when all you locals bash the event? I find you guys are way too over critical about these events and are not open minded enough to help the car community grow in Vancouver. I thought DTP was way better than ImportFest we had earlier in the year. Hopefully that is a sign of better things to come as we SUPPORT the local car scene in a POSITIVE WAY
The problem with your statement is this : you are asking the community to blindly support events just for the sake of 'supporting the local car scene...' It's unfair to ask people to pay $20-27 and then not allow them to provide feedback... there is a big difference between blatant hate and honest feedback.

I have been 'supporting' the local car scene since the late-1990s... when the idea of an organized car show that feature imports/sport compacts was a pipedream... likewise, when they did arrive, I attended in force, showed my cars and was heavily involved...

The community has changed... and I love when organizers put on show but it's only fair that they adapt as the industry and supporters have around them.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #118
RS controls my life!

Quote:
The problem with your statement is this : you are asking the community to blindly support events just for the sake of 'supporting the local car scene...' It's unfair to ask people to pay $20-27 and then not allow them to provide feedback... there is a big difference between blatant hate and honest feedback.

I have been 'supporting' the local car scene since the late-1990s... when the idea of an organized car show that feature imports/sport compacts was a pipedream... likewise, when they did arrive, I attended in force, showed my cars and was heavily involved...

The community has changed... and I love when organizers put on show but it's only fair that they adapt as the industry and supporters have around them.
Sunfighter nobody is putting a gun to your head telling you you have to pay $20-$27, its your choice to goto paid show just like its other peoples choice to buy a ticket or for me, to register my car. I don't see a problem paying $20+bux for a show at a venue like the Convention Center if its a good show and i thought DTP was a pretty good show. Thats my opinion, i know its not yours.

When i see people say that they should support shows, i don't think they mean that you have to blindly go pay money to support it but it would really be good for the scene if you can appreciate that we finally have an indoor show at a quality venue after how many years and you can at least show your support for the scene by not being such a hater.

Just so you know my girlfriend went online and paid $15bux for her ticket because she bought in advance. General Info | DTP AUTOSHOW 2013

I must admit i was also an idiot much like you, i paid $20 bux to goto Importfest last minute and i ended up paying for it when i could have registered for free but do you see me bitching about the price of Importfest? No, its my own fault for waiting until the last second to go and i ended up paying the price.
ineedNOS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #119

Quote:
Good and very fair point, with that said I have no problem with constructive criticism or honest feedback. But I see very little of that but instead just a bunch of haters talking.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #120
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

More models needed
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #121

DTP photos are up

I personally thought the show was pretty good. There was good quality cars and the entertainment was pretty good. It would of been nice to have some food vendors and if they had all the lights on, it would of made for better photos. I guess they were going for the HIN vibe.

DTP Autoshow 2013 | Art of Stance - Westcoast Cars + Photography

more photos here too:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9834492&type=3
artofstance on twitter
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #122
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts

dat curve

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #123
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Great pictures art of stance. Team vision and garage five won most of the trophies.
dj phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #124
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

DTP Autoshow 2013

Here are some interviews with the models from DTP. Appearances by Dumbfoundead, Arianny Celeste, and Eva Skye.

Hope you guys enjoy
bchizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #125

no pants, no dance!
artofstance on twitter
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*