REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 10-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

SFU Arts/Business

Hi, my highschool average will range from 85%-87%. What do you guys think my chances are of getting into SFU arts/business. If I dont get in im planning on going to Kwantlen and then transferring. Is that easier? Harder? What do you guys think??
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
masterroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
you'll get into arts with 86
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
i got into arts @79.5

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterroshi View Post
Hi, my highschool average will range from 85%-87%. What do you guys think my chances are of getting into SFU arts/business. If I dont get in im planning on going to Kwantlen and then transferring. Is that easier? Harder? What do you guys think??
Posted via RS Mobile
With your average, you should be able to get into Arts without a problem. Depending on your broad-base app, business may be borderline.

A lot of people go into university / college with the misconception that if they don't get into their first choice immediately, they'll just transfer for second year. It's really not that easy to transfer from any school to UBC / SFU. It is extremely competitive and there are tons of people doing it. If you think about it, you getting into UBC / SFU means that at least one person who was already attending that school had to have been kicked out / transferred.

This saying's probably cliche by now, but its for a good reason. Don't slack off in grade 12 thinking that you can just transfer later. Try your hardest, and even if you don't make it in the end, at least you know that you really did try.

Good luck!

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
+1 wish i tried harder in grade 11/12
easier to get good marks in high school and get directly into the faculty you want than to get good marks in uni and transfer in 2nd year
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Transferring is better for 2 reasons:

- GPA for transfer to SFU/UBC with 60 credits is lower than straight from highschool (i.e. 75% is more than adequate -- which trust me, is easy to achieve if you're focused on school)
- You are marked on a curve in most classes, this means against your peers. Although I shouldn't say this, colleges like kwantlen will have more people focused on other things in life like work, therefore their marks will reflect that (basically, it'll be easier for you to get A's).

If you're thinking of going to any kind of grad school, your GPA will matter, and for the most part most won't care where you spent the first 2 years of your schooling. I made the mistake of going straight to SFU -- If I could do it again, I'd take my first 2 years at Kwantlen/Langara then I would have transferred over for my last 2 years -- just for the benefit of padding my GPA.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,034 Times in 174 Posts
Probably won't get into business, but arts for sure. But it shouldn't be too hard to transfer from arts into beedie; first year econ/business courses' averages are pretty low so just make sure you take the general first year courses with the easy profs and your gpa should be high enough to transfer in.
fs604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

If money is also an issue, then you should seriously consider going to colleges like Langara or Kwantlen, because for the 4 classes I take at sfu, I pay around 2500, whereas at Langara you're looking at about half of my tuition for the same amount of classes/credits.
tmc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #9

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Go transfer from Kwantlen. Trust me, I've made the mistake of going straight into SFU for computer science when I really wanted to be in business. It'll be pretty hard to transfer to the business faculties at SFU since you have to compete on a curve in the business classes. It'll suck if you get a low GPA and end up not being able to transfer to the business faculty. You'll end up with useless business credits and majoring in a degree that you don't like.
Posted via RS Mobile
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Transferring is better for 2 reasons:

- GPA for transfer to SFU/UBC with 60 credits is lower than straight from highschool (i.e. 75% is more than adequate -- which trust me, is easy to achieve if you're focused on school)
- You are marked on a curve in most classes, this means against your peers. Although I shouldn't say this, colleges like kwantlen will have more people focused on other things in life like work, therefore their marks will reflect that (basically, it'll be easier for you to get A's).

If you're thinking of going to any kind of grad school, your GPA will matter, and for the most part most won't care where you spent the first 2 years of your schooling. I made the mistake of going straight to SFU -- If I could do it again, I'd take my first 2 years at Kwantlen/Langara then I would have transferred over for my last 2 years -- just for the benefit of padding my GPA.
I have no experience with Kwantlen business courses, but Kwantlen arts courses are not marked on a curve. I have attended UBC and Kwantlen, and noticed no overall difference in difficulty. I have had several professors who teach simultaneously at SFU, UBC, and Kwantlen, which would explain that observation. I have seen a professor who teaches at SFU and Kwantlen prompted to compare the students of either institution. He hesitantly noted that Kwantlen students generally produce higher quality work, and he believes, that is because the professor to student ratio is so much lower. The students attending evening classes at Kwantlen while working during the day are often among the highest performing students. At the risk of sounding overly defensive, you've got your facts all wrong here dhillion.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
Go transfer from Kwantlen. Trust me, I've made the mistake of going straight into SFU for computer science when I really wanted to be in business. It'll be pretty hard to transfer to the business faculties at SFU since you have to compete on a curve in the business classes. It'll suck if you get a low GPA and end up not being able to transfer to the business faculty. You'll end up with useless business credits and majoring in a degree that you don't like.
Posted via RS Mobile
I actually dont mind going into arts since I can take the required courses fkr the CA designarion and become a CA. I applied for Political Science in arts which I absolutely love and have a great passion for. I ove business as well so I would be fine going into either faculty at SFU.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

For*
Posted via RS Mobile
Posted via RS Mobile
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs604 View Post
Probably won't get into business, but arts for sure. But it shouldn't be too hard to transfer from arts into beedie; first year econ/business courses' averages are pretty low so just make sure you take the general first year courses with the easy profs and your gpa should be high enough to transfer in.
I disagree. 85-87% average is definitely good enough for SFU Beedie (Make sure you spend time writing/editing your supplementals for it).

First year business/econ courses are not that easy, and averages are NOT low. You have a bunch of 1st/2nd year students trying their hardest to transfer into Beedie. Then you have all the other beedie students trying their hardest as well to get high gpa's for Co-op/Scholarship/etc.

Off my head, I only know 1/4 people who successfully transferred from SFU Arts into Beedie. The 3 who didn't get in were actually my friends. That being said, it's not impossible, but not as easy as you make it sound like.

Aside from Kwantlen/Langara/etc, there's also the upgrading highschool marks route (adult school) and re-apply.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
I disagree. 85-87% average is definitely good enough for SFU Beedie (Make sure you spend time writing/editing your supplementals for it).

First year business/econ courses are not that easy, and averages are NOT low. You have a bunch of 1st/2nd year students trying their hardest to transfer into Beedie. Then you have all the other beedie students trying their hardest as well to get high gpa's for Co-op/Scholarship/etc.

Off my head, I only know 1/4 people who successfully transferred from SFU Arts into Beedie. The 3 who didn't get in were actually my friends. That being said, it's not impossible, but not as easy as you make it sound like.

Aside from Kwantlen/Langara/etc, there's also the upgrading highschool marks route (adult school) and re-apply.
Lets just say I only get into arts and major in economics, do you think there are any goof careers available if I get an arts degree? My goal is to become a CA and the site says that I can have any degree as long as I take the required courses, so if I get an arts degree instead of business, would that decrease my career oppurtunites?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Good* careers....
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Lets just say I only get into arts and major in economics, do you think there are any goof careers available if I get an arts degree? My goal is to become a CA and the site says that I can have any degree as long as I take the required courses, so if I get an arts degree instead of business, would that decrease my career oppurtunites?
Posted via RS Mobile

These kind of questions scares me, it shows that you don't have any idea of what you want to do. And to be fair most people in your position don't either, some don't even figure it out until they graduate.

Don't fall into the trap of 'my goal is to become a 10k a day CEO', because you will be horribly disappointed. Find out what you like to do and what is your passion, then go from there. Your post secondary education doesn't define the career you would end up in.

Money should not be the sole reason for your career, or else you will be miserable for the rest of your life.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Go to a college first. Save SFU for later. As others have said, a university degree does not ensure a fulfilling career. You should look at university from a different perspective - an opportunity for you to broaden your horizons and to shape you into an independent, yet critical thinker. The most useless types out there are those who can't think for themselves. You could be a CA at KPMG pulling in $100K but still the biggest village idiot.

You'll thank us later in 10 years and in 20 years, you'll have enough to thank us fully by buying each of us a Lotus Exige S. I'll be nice and take a 87-89 G50 Porsche 911, okay?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
Excellent internships and good networking skills are key to a good career post-grad. Since you want to be a CA, I assume you would want to find internships at the Big 4 during your undergrad.

You can major in economics but if you are a mediocre student, chances are, you are not going to find an internship there. You must stand out in terms of academics and leadership/volunteer/work experience. Going into a business program makes finding co-op opportunities a little easier but the converse isn't necessarily true. So going into economics doesn't "decrease" your career opportunities.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Go to a college first. Save SFU for later. As others have said, a university degree does not ensure a fulfilling career. You should look at university from a different perspective - an opportunity for you to broaden your horizons and to shape you into an independent, yet critical thinker. The most useless types out there are those who can't think for themselves. You could be a CA at KPMG pulling in $100K but still the biggest village idiot.

You'll thank us later in 10 years and in 20 years, you'll have enough to thank us fully by buying each of us a Lotus Exige S. I'll be nice and take a 87-89 G50 Porsche 911, okay?
The thing about going to college first is that it would be harder to transfer than just go from highschool. As for broadning my horizons and being indepentant, I totally agree with you. You should take university as an oppurtunity to learn and just gain valubale knowledge and thats exactly what my opinion is on university, a chance to gain intellectually. I feel that if go to larger university there is more to learn and more oppurtunitys for me as a student such as clubs and other stuff around campus.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
WELCOME BACK BURNOUTBINLADEN!!!

You have been missed, my friend.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
The thing about going to college first is that it would be harder to transfer than just go from highschool. As for broadning my horizons and being indepentant, I totally agree with you. You should take university as an oppurtunity to learn and just gain valubale knowledge and thats exactly what my opinion is on university, a chance to gain intellectually. I feel that if go to larger university there is more to learn and more oppurtunitys for me as a student such as clubs and other stuff around campus.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hardly a sound argument.

With minimal planning, the effort it takes to transfer to SFU/UBC from Kwantlen/Langara is negligible in the scope of your academic career.

Whether at a 'larger' university or 'smaller' univeristy, 100/1000-200/2000 courses are practically - and often are - identical irregardless of institution. At 300/3000-400/4000 and graduate levels, yes, 'larger' universities have greater diversity. Thus, Langara, Kwantlen, SFU, and UBC have equal learning opportunities at your level.

SFU/UBC have the edge on clubs and on-campus activities over Langara/Kwantlen; UBC in particular. You have a valid point. University is not an isolated an academic bubble, though, and most would gain more venturing out into their community than exploring institutional opportunities, single-minded.

I would suggest you do not dismiss the advice you're being given so readily, as it's a considerable asset. We've all learnt with age, and we're imparting some of that knowledge onto you, whether you choose to accept it is your call.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I take back everything I just said.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Hardly a sound argument.

With minimal planning, the effort it takes to transfer to SFU/UBC from Kwantlen/Langara is negligible in the scope of your academic career.

Whether at a 'larger' university or 'smaller' univeristy, 100/1000-200/2000 courses are practically - and often are - identical irregardless of institution. At 300/3000-400/4000 and graduate levels, yes, 'larger' universities have greater diversity. Thus, Langara, Kwantlen, SFU, and UBC have equal learning opportunities at your level.

SFU/UBC have the edge on clubs and on-campus activities over Langara/Kwantlen; UBC in particular. You have a valid point. University is not an isolated an academic bubble, though, and most would gain more venturing out into their community than exploring institutional opportunities, single-minded.

I would suggest you do not dismiss the advice you're being given so readily, as it's a considerable asset. We've all learnt with age, and we're imparting some of that knowledge onto you, whether you choose to accept it is your call.
I am considering the advice im getting, but the problem is that I dont want to risk going to Kwantlen and not being able to transfer. For example my older cousin wanted to go to med school at UBC. He got into UBC from highschool but decided to go to Kwantlen first. He wasnt able transfer and now he has an associates of science and doesnt know what to do. I dont want to get stuck in a similar situation with a degree fron Kwantlen since employers will look down at that. I know its said that the institution from which you recieve your degree doesnt matter, but in reality it does.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #24
Wanna have a threesome?

You're a little younger, but Kwantlen Polytechnic University was once Kwantlen University College. Likewise, University of the Fraser Valley was once University College of the Fraser Valley. The Ministry of Advanced Education summarily 'upgraded' several of the university colleges to universities because this status affects course structures, and thus inter-institution transfers. In the past, Anatomy and Physiology at UBC would have learning objectives significantly dissimilar from Anatomy and Physiology at Kwantlen. Thus, your cousins Kwantlen A&P would not fulfill the A&P prerequisite for UBC Med. By turning institutions like Kwantlen and UFV into universities the course structures were made much more similar and earned credits became more easily transferable to other universities. Consult closely with the BC Transfer guide when registering for courses and it's unlikely you'll have any issue, at this point. I have friends who experienced some minor difficulties transferring in the university college era, but in the university era none of my friends have had any issue.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
You're a little younger, but Kwantlen Polytechnic University was once Kwantlen University College. Likewise, University of the Fraser Valley was once University College of the Fraser Valley. The Ministry of Advanced Education summarily 'upgraded' several of the university colleges to universities because this status affects course structures, and thus inter-institution transfers. In the past, Anatomy and Physiology at UBC would have learning objectives significantly dissimilar from Anatomy and Physiology at Kwantlen. Thus, your cousins Kwantlen A&P would not fulfill the A&P prerequisite for UBC Med. By turning institutions like Kwantlen and UFV into universities the course structures were made much more similar and earned credits became more easily transferable to other universities. Consult closely with the BC Transfer guide when registering for courses and it's unlikely you'll have any issue, at this point. I have friends who experienced some minor difficulties transferring in the university college era, but in the university era none of my friends have had any issue.
He was in Kwantlen after it was a university. He just didnt get the grades to transfer. He worked really hard, was always studying yet didnt get in. I dont want to be in the same situation.
Posted via RS Mobile