REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,304 Times in 1,980 Posts
Thoughts on RHD cars?

Soz if duplicate.

Was browsing ads and came across a 94 Supra non-turbo RHD with supposedly 91k and no accidents. All for around $9000.

Not saying I'd get it but that price certainly got my attention.

When I was a kid, I always dreamed of having one of the 'Japanese muscle cars' but they were always $30,000 +

Now they come in RHD flavour, the price is a crazy steal though the compromise is sitting in the passenger seat. I know all about inspections (grading system) and who your importer is but with R34s and Chasers coming over, it kind of becomes one of those 'how can you say no'?

Does anyone here own a RHD? Is it worth it? Are most just junk? Are they a really well kept secret for finding a wicked bang for buck?

Toyota Chaser V, Turbo, RWD, 89km, NO Accidents!

1998 Toyota Celsior = Lexus LS 400 <--- how much would a similar spec LS400 cost?

Subaru Forester Turbo RHD Manual Low KM!!! JDM
Advertisement
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Japanese used cars and Japanese imports | Goo-net Exchange Find Japanese used vehicles
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #3

you know those cars are imported into Canada because they failed Shaken(Japanese government inspection) right?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
N8
I STILL don't get it

If you shop carefully - ie. get compression and/or leakdown test.. and it's not 'R' grade (3 or higher is good) you can get a good car. Of course there are risks if you import it yourself, as you can't see the car in person. Hasnihon is a good place I've dealt with on multiple occasions.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
you know those cars are imported into Canada because they failed Shaken(Japanese government inspection) right?

OP - some of these cars can be a said "deal". Make certain it is a model you can readily access parts and also be prepared to learn to drive on the other side - sight is slightly more difficult for turns but you get used to it.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
RS controls my life!

How would you handle going to the drive through? Go in reverse?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

^^^
95 AE101L -sold-
GotRice? is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

I feel like the only RHD cars worth buying are the ones that aren't available here as a LHD option. Such as chasers, skylines, s15 etc etc.
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #9

just buy a LHD conversion kit

This post FAILED by:
Old 10-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,026 Times in 201 Posts
Quote:
Nope, not all. The ones that have shaken are were usually higher price when u went to bid for them though

I used to import back in the day for a living, loved rhd cars, only sucks turning left at big intersections and going through drive throughs lol.

Other than that 90% of the cars i brought in were in amazing shape, better than most the 15+yr old junk here, and no rust
68 Plymouth Barracuda
03 Custom Chopper
TurboFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Not worth the sketchy left turns IMO. Sketchy enough in a LHD car with a big truck blocking the view in the other lane without being shifted over to the other side of the car.
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
Not worth the sketchy left turns IMO. Sketchy enough in a LHD car with a big truck blocking the view in the other lane without being shifted over to the other side of the car.
If left turns are "sketchy" for you in a LHD car you shouldn't be driving.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i like that chaser very very much....

... but it's an automatic

the drive thru argument always comes up... just park the damn car and walk your lazy ass inside the restaurant lol. at security gates i used an extendable pointer i bought at staples and either hung my pass card on it to press onto the card reader, or used it to punch in the code on the keypad. however, i never had the chance to drive down to the states so i'm not sure how the toll booth thing works at the border crossing.

i drove a RHD as a daily for about a month and yes at first there were some anxious moments. i had a tendency to drift too close to center line, and i learned not to take any more chances turning left and instead wait for traffic to either be completely clear or for the light to change.

i also don't know what is the big deal about the headlight beam cutoff for a RHD car. does it blind oncoming traffic? no one ever flashed me when i drove at night...

oh yeah and opening the door on the left side and forgetting that the steering wheel is on the right... fail. took me awhile before i finally stopped doing that.

as for shaken, the one i drove was bought with a still valid shaken (private sale), but it still failed the provincial inspection when it was here (ball joints or LCAs i can't remember). a car in japan with a fresh shaken would be very expensive on the used car market, and might be too much $ by the time it gets here
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-26-2013 at 03:55 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
You know that you are completely incorrect, right?

source; I've actually imported cars, and don't just talk about it like you.

OP, RHD cars can be a very good buy, or a very bad buy. You need to have a good broker on the other end who knows what to buy and what not too. A lot of the cars I try to import are ones that are either private sale or cars at auction that still have valid regi.

Japanese put very little value on used goods. And the govt. subsidizes new car purchases to a point which gives them a good reason to off their old one and upgrade. You can steal a sweet car for very little. For instance last week I won a Peugeot 106 S16 for a nice daily driver for a better price than anything I could get here for the same. 70,000kms, LHD, manual, 1.6L 16v.. should be a fun car.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprarz666 View Post
I feel like the only RHD cars worth buying are the ones that aren't available here as a LHD option. Such as chasers, skylines, s15 etc etc.
This has always been my opinion. Seeing RX7's, Civics, VWs and Supras makes me think "what's the point?"

Old 10-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Hopeless Romantic

Speaking from experience... I was told to never come back to the McDonalds drive through on Scott Road because I drove through in reverse in my RHD EVO I and it was considered a safety hazard...

The whole left hand turn scenario. Honestly, If you can't see, then don't go. Your visibility is not THAT limited unless there is a large vehicle on the opposite side also making a left turn. If that's the case, creep up into the intersection and wait until it goes yellow to make your turn.

I was pulled over once because my passenger was texting and the officer thought they were driving... It can be comical crossing the border or going through a road block if you have a nice officer.

In terms of the bad... You just have to be careful. It can be really hard to get the previous history of a vehicle from Japan. If it's already here, just take the same precaution you would as buying a regular car. If you're going to invest '$x,xxx' into a vehicle, you might as well spend the couple hundred to get a proper inspection done at a shop.

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #17

Oh, and the drivethrough thing... one; you could just not eat fast food since it's not exactly good for you, but if you must.. you can reach over no problem. Back when I acutally ate that garbage I would just drive through normal and reach over without a problem.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
I own a RHD Supra and its a great car. I do wish I could have found a good LHD one but they are not easy to come across. I may pick up a shell and swap things over to get a LHD one but thats in the future.

A Chaser would be a sick DD tho....

RHD cars have there querks but I find it no harder to drive than the LHD equivilent.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
my neighbour has a RHD mitsu delica. thing seems pretty cool. 3 rows of seats and sits high up. he said he had zero problems with left turns but then again he can usually see over most cars.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,304 Times in 1,980 Posts
Yeah if did pick up a RHD car, it wouldn't be an Integra, Civic or 93 Camry

Really dig the Chasers and the R33 & R34 Skyline Sedans. Seeing as the market isn't exactly saturated in them, I guess you would have to use more discretion should one pop up.

I know tyeeimports sells junk. Most of their inspection sheets have a nice fat R in the corner.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
While we are on topic, does pretty much every importer(dealer) require you pay 100% up front? Or do any just do a deposit type thing? Doesn't feel right to me paying the full price for a car not having seen it or driven it in person before....
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
This has always been my opinion. Seeing RX7's, Civics, VWs and Supras makes me think "what's the point?"
for some models, like the twin turbo rx7 and supra, a good LHD model is very expensive and very rare. for many who want those cars but cannot afford them, JDM is the only way to go. also common parts would be easier to get.

having said that, i wish the same argument applied to the nsx. they can cost the same or more in japan, not to mention the japanese are importing LHD models from north america to bring back home. sigh.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
While we are on topic, does pretty much every importer(dealer) require you pay 100% up front? Or do any just do a deposit type thing? Doesn't feel right to me paying the full price for a car not having seen it or driven it in person before....
some importers(dealers) allos you to finance it after a deposit
Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #24

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
what's there to talk about...turn on your wipers when you meant to put on your signals and vice versa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprarz666 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
I own a RHD Supra and its a great car. I do wish I could have found a good LHD one but they are not easy to come across. I may pick up a shell and swap things over to get a LHD one but thats in the future.
I disagree with Supra and agree with Boosted

for some models of 90's japanese sports car.. there's basically no market here for clean and unmolested ones. On the off chance you find one...there's a massive premium. Perhaps that huge premium is worth it compared to the possible headache of importing..OOP compliance, waiting for shipping, no carfax etc but if you have the patience to go through it and don't mind driving in the passenger seat then it's def a cost-effective way to obtain a nice car.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
for some models, like the twin turbo rx7 and supra, a good LHD model is very expensive and very rare. for many who want those cars but cannot afford them, JDM is the only way to go. also common parts would be easier to get.

having said that, i wish the same argument applied to the nsx. they can cost the same or more in japan, not to mention the japanese are importing LHD models from north america to bring back home. sigh.
Not really, I bought a clean low KM 93 FD for 10k in the states. You just have to take a bit of time to look.

NSX's aren't all that much cheaper over in JDM land.