REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   COSMOS is back! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693445-cosmos-back.html)

SkinnyPupp 03-10-2014 04:55 PM

COSMOS is back!

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/8045...osmos_2013.jpg

In case you missed it over the weekend, COSMOS is back! It was a science show in the 80's, on PBS I recall? Hosted by Carl Sagan...

It's back, on FOX of all places, and this time it's hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

I watched the first episode, and they went over a few things... the size of the universe, and the age. They had a really long segment on Giordano Bruno, who was excommunicated, imprisoned, and eventually killed for questioning the "fact" that god created earth and there's nothing else to look for. This was on FOX, remember :fulloffuck:

To their credit, NGD did point out that his thinking wasn't scientific at all, and he just happened to be correct. The important part though, is that he wasn't allowed to "follow his dreams" (literally) and pursue more information. Free thinking wasn't allowed back then.

Anyway, it is probably worth checking out.. if you already read science websites and listen to podcasts, it's probably nothing new. But the visuals are nice (although lens flare effects are slightly abused) and if you have loved ones who aren't really into science, this might be a good way to get them to think about it. My wife is a good example.. her mind was blown as to how tiny and insignificant we really are (she was never religious, so didn't have the ego that comes with religion, but also never really thought of life in this way before). Although the combination of this realization and the injustice served to Bruno kind of affected her mood I think...

Anyway, worth checking out at least

murd0c 03-11-2014 06:55 AM

I watched it and the first episode was decent I guess, I've seen so many shows like this the same info is being recycled over and over. I will still watch it tho since they seem to put a bit of a different spin on things.

white rocket 03-11-2014 10:09 AM

I'll check it out. I like shows like this but like murd0c said, the info seems to be recycled and nothing new or groundbreaking. The totality and vastness of the universe and how humans and earth fit into it has always been mind blowing to me.

strykn 03-11-2014 10:53 AM

I'll stick to Through the Wormhole :D

Wongtouski 03-11-2014 05:12 PM

If the first ep is any indication then I think overall I will be disappointed. Reason being like some have said already that it's too general and is trying to cover too much. I prefer BBC programs on space/science where they focus on one small thing i.e. string theory/infinity, and really goes in depth with it.

sonick 03-12-2014 08:01 AM

Just caught this online last night. I enjoyed it, reminded me of watching shows in school and documentaries as a kid.

I am wondering how the religious 'middle america' is responding to the show, considering it had so much publicity and exposure during the Superbowl and Olympics, and being broadcast primetime Sunday night.

SkinnyPupp 03-12-2014 08:23 AM

I have a feeling the first ep was just an introduction, since they covered quite a bit of material for one episode.

It may be a rehash for science geeks, but I appreciate the visual aspect of it, and that it can get my wife to talk about science with me :D

SkinnyPupp 03-17-2014 07:39 AM

Episode 2 was great, I hope a lot of people are watching this.

Fantastic quote: "There's no shame in admitting what you don't know. The only shame is pretending you know all the answers."

murd0c 03-17-2014 11:38 AM

My PVR didn't record it, I'm kinda bummed

sonick 03-17-2014 11:40 AM

COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey

You'll need some kind of geolocation spoofer though.

Valour 03-18-2014 01:07 AM

Cosmos | Watch Cosmos TV Show - Full Episodes Online on Global TV

fixed

KingDeeCee 03-18-2014 12:27 PM

Ok wow. That second episode was actually really good. The information I already knew, but the way he explained it and how this episode flowed was great.
Posted via RS Mobile

kb 03-23-2014 11:10 PM

Great show. Even if the information is stuff you already know, the presentation is enjoyable.