REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 03-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
COSMOS is back!

In case you missed it over the weekend, COSMOS is back! It was a science show in the 80's, on PBS I recall? Hosted by Carl Sagan...

It's back, on FOX of all places, and this time it's hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

I watched the first episode, and they went over a few things... the size of the universe, and the age. They had a really long segment on Giordano Bruno, who was excommunicated, imprisoned, and eventually killed for questioning the "fact" that god created earth and there's nothing else to look for. This was on FOX, remember

To their credit, NGD did point out that his thinking wasn't scientific at all, and he just happened to be correct. The important part though, is that he wasn't allowed to "follow his dreams" (literally) and pursue more information. Free thinking wasn't allowed back then.

Anyway, it is probably worth checking out.. if you already read science websites and listen to podcasts, it's probably nothing new. But the visuals are nice (although lens flare effects are slightly abused) and if you have loved ones who aren't really into science, this might be a good way to get them to think about it. My wife is a good example.. her mind was blown as to how tiny and insignificant we really are (she was never religious, so didn't have the ego that comes with religion, but also never really thought of life in this way before). Although the combination of this realization and the injustice served to Bruno kind of affected her mood I think...

Anyway, worth checking out at least
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
I watched it and the first episode was decent I guess, I've seen so many shows like this the same info is being recycled over and over. I will still watch it tho since they seem to put a bit of a different spin on things.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I'll check it out. I like shows like this but like murd0c said, the info seems to be recycled and nothing new or groundbreaking. The totality and vastness of the universe and how humans and earth fit into it has always been mind blowing to me.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
I'll stick to Through the Wormhole
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

If the first ep is any indication then I think overall I will be disappointed. Reason being like some have said already that it's too general and is trying to cover too much. I prefer BBC programs on space/science where they focus on one small thing i.e. string theory/infinity, and really goes in depth with it.
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
Just caught this online last night. I enjoyed it, reminded me of watching shows in school and documentaries as a kid.

I am wondering how the religious 'middle america' is responding to the show, considering it had so much publicity and exposure during the Superbowl and Olympics, and being broadcast primetime Sunday night.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #7

I have a feeling the first ep was just an introduction, since they covered quite a bit of material for one episode.

It may be a rehash for science geeks, but I appreciate the visual aspect of it, and that it can get my wife to talk about science with me
Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #8

Episode 2 was great, I hope a lot of people are watching this.

Fantastic quote: "There's no shame in admitting what you don't know. The only shame is pretending you know all the answers."
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
My PVR didn't record it, I'm kinda bummed
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey

You'll need some kind of geolocation spoofer though.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 AM   #11
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Cosmos | Watch Cosmos TV Show - Full Episodes Online on Global TV

fixed

7seven: I really can't stand all these idiots who hit the gym now just because they watched 300 and want to be like a spartan. Case in point, this skinny guy comes into the gym the other day, must have only weighed ~ 140lbs, loads on 2 plates on the bench rack, mutters to himself, for sparta, unracks the barbell and proceeds to drop it directly on his chest.
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
Ok wow. That second episode was actually really good. The information I already knew, but the way he explained it and how this episode flowed was great.
Posted via RS Mobile
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #13
kb
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Great show. Even if the information is stuff you already know, the presentation is enjoyable.
kb is offline   Reply With Quote