REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Recommend a pay-as-you-go carrier

I just had an international student show up and he wants to go and get a pay-as-you go SIM tomorrow and was asking me what company is best here for that service. Well, I have no idea about the different options, I've been on long-term plans for 20 years. My student has a phone, will only be here until the end of January. Please let me know what I need to know and I'll pass the info along.

And, I tried searching pay as you go and also prepaid with no luck. kthanxbai
Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

chatr
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
When I used pay-as-you-go I was with Fido, seemed pretty decent. I don't know if they do it anymore, but might be worth looking up on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

If this person is an *EXTREMELY* light user of phones (just using it for emergencies, etc.) ask Rogers for the $100/year prepaid plan. I don't know if they still offer it though but I know my parents are still on that. Not sure if it's something grandfather'd over.

I use Mobilicity. Nothing beats paying $24 a month for unlimited calling texting and data. The occasional network stutter/no connection in thicker walled buildings/underground parkades but i'm hardly in those areas anyway.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Rogers or President's Choice. Assuming your international student has an unlocked phone with the right freq.

You might want to up your searching skills by using Google instead of the library or things printed on paper.

Last edited by godwin; 08-25-2014 at 10:25 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Might also want to include what type of phone they have. There are hardware limitations that might prevent them from using certain carriers. (namely Wind and Mobilicity, but also Bell/Telus as well depending on phone)
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

speak out from 7-11 is the bang for the buck for minimal use I think
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Rogers or President's Choice. Assuming your international student has an unlocked phone with the right freq.

You might want to up your searching skills by using Google instead of the library or things printed on paper.
It was right before we all called it a night here, thought I'd let the net do it's thing overnight. Print is one thing, actual user's opinion is another - hence, I'm on an internet forum asking just that. **mind blown** Let me know the next time you buy a car from a Google search alone - I'm sure that Ford looks good in print.

Phone is an iPhone, it is unlocked, has the right frequencies - all that was checked prior to my post.

Thanks for the replies and also for letting me know about Google
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valent|n0 View Post
speak out from 7-11 is the bang for the buck for minimal use I think
+1

I was actually using 7-11's speakout for a couple years before I finally made the switch. I believe it's on the Rogers(?) network too, so if the student isn't going to keep the phone, you have a nice little backup phone if you're ever in a pinch

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the info, everyone.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #11

So we went to do the 7-11 deal but they do not have the nano SIM cards for the iPhone 5 yest. Ended up setting him up on Koodo's month to month plan for $60 with unlimited calling, text, and 1GB data. He gets 10% off for having his own phone. The Pay as you go plans would have cost more