REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Recommend a Venue (Wedding) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698684-recommend-venue-wedding.html)

jbsali 10-06-2014 01:08 PM

Recommend a Venue (Wedding)

Hey guys, my wedding is next September and i'm looking for a venue to have our main dinner/ party. Mainly looking for something reasonably priced, accommodate 175-225 people and somewhere in the GVA.

Looking for recommendations on Venues and also ones to avoid.

I tried looking to see if this thread existed but couldn't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks in advance,

meme405 10-06-2014 01:31 PM

Maybe give these guys a call. They might be able to set you up good...

LYFE Event Planning | Live Young Forever

Spoiler!

CRS 10-06-2014 01:34 PM

Been here numerous times...

Riverside Palace Banquet Halls

Boostslut 10-06-2014 01:38 PM

The Terminal Club is nice! I don't know how much though.. I had mine at the Hyatt Richmond and they did a nice job, and it was decent value as well. Good luck!

Inaii 10-06-2014 01:41 PM

I found this site to be useful

WeddingWire

Presto 10-06-2014 01:58 PM

Castle Fun Park. They don't just have pizza. There's hot dogs and burgers, too. There's nothing like black-tie minigolf!

Manic! 10-06-2014 02:09 PM

There are a ton of South Asian banquet halls in the lower mainland that also have in house catering and a DJ.

Special K 10-06-2014 02:20 PM

What are you looking for? These prices are off the top of my head when I researched for ours last year.

Western, assuming Saturdays:
Rosewood Georgia - VERY nice room. $24,000 minimum spend.
Terminal Club lower level - $20,000
Hycroft - $4000 rental - bring your own food

There's also Fairmont Pac Rim and golf courses. I don't know about those.

I didn't like Vancouver Club. They don't have A/C at all and the room is pretty dark.

Boostslut 10-06-2014 02:23 PM

Meant to say Terminal Club sorry :)

gilly 10-06-2014 02:23 PM

Uncle Willies does weddings. The soft serve icecream!!!!

Westwood golf course also very good. Food is amazing.

StylinRed 10-06-2014 02:39 PM

I went to a wedding at Swaneset Bay recently it was quite nice, a bit out of the way but nice

Swaneset | Vancouver Wedding & Events Venue

to add I've been to the Shaughnessy club for a wedding too but I didn't find it as nice

edit: Oh yeah CONGRATS BTW! :D

m3thods 10-06-2014 02:53 PM

Without a budget, these suggestions are almost useless.

If you're looking to spend ~50-70pp on food (read: no booze), there's a ton of options. Practically every golf course, banquet hall, or caterer can reach that. If you're looking for that price INCLUDING booze, you'll have to work harder to find something in your budget.

white rocket 10-06-2014 02:55 PM

The UBC Boathouse in Richmond is nice. I've been to a few weddings there.

My wedding was here and it was fucking awesome: Cecil Green Park House - Weddings, Events and Filming in Vancouver

supafamous 10-06-2014 03:22 PM

I just got married at the Coast Coal Harbour Hotel with a guest count of 130 (they have room to seat up to 200 comfortably). While their wedding coordinator wasn't much to write home about (lack of experience and we felt they were nickel and diming us a bit) the service and food on the wedding day was excellent. The ballroom has high ceilings with a modern look to it which my guests really liked. We held our ceremony on site then had cocktail hour in the foyer before the banquet started.

It's a 4 star facility and pricing was a touch lower than a Marriott and a lot lower than something like the Pan Pacific. The location is convenient for guests and your photo shoots (near Stanley Park, Convention Centre etc).

If you're going to hire your own coordinator to work with the hotel then I'd say they're worth considering.

Mr.C 10-06-2014 03:23 PM

Cecil Green House for 200 people won't be too good. Girl I know is an event planner, maybe call her. Lemme find her info.

Edit: Company name is Umbrella Events

http://www.umbrellaevents.ca/

JesseBlue 10-06-2014 04:15 PM

Westwood plateau in poco
Northlands in langley
Northview in surrey

westopher 10-06-2014 04:25 PM

I got married at the wise hall.
Ordered 50 pizzas from famoso along with some risotto balls.
Got 500 bucks worth of meats and cheeses from suppliers from my work and spent the day before making chacuterie boards while drinking beer with my buddies.
Paid for 3k worth of booze then after that was cash bar.
DJ Ipod played a few songza playlists

All together I spent about 9k on the wedding for about 120 guests and many said it was the best wedding they have ever been to because it was so unpretentious, but we still kept it classy and traditional to an extent. This might not be the advice you were looking for, but its an option. DON'T rent a hall/wedding venue and hire caterers. Truthfully (this is coming from a chef who has catered many events) caterers absolutely fuck you in the ass. They shove garbage food in your face and charge you 10k for it. Another good option is a restaurant buy out. They charge no rental fee, and only have a minimum spend which is pretty easy to meet. You also know they are cooking your food PROPERLY and not bringing it in some fucking heating bag from a shitty offsite kitchen 10kms away.

jtrinh 10-06-2014 05:26 PM

Try The Law Courts Inn?

Banquet Facility ? Get Wedding & Catering Venues in Downtown Vancouver

MindBomber 10-06-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8539462)
I went to a wedding at Swaneset Bay recently it was quite nice, a bit out of the way but nice

Swaneset | Vancouver Wedding & Events Venue

to add I've been to the Shaughnessy club for a wedding too but I didn't find it as nice

edit: Oh yeah CONGRATS BTW! :D

I went to a wedding at Swan-E-Set Bay on Friday, and second that, though out of the way, the setting was quite nice. The setting was especially beneficial for the photo session prior to the ceremony.

Special K 10-06-2014 07:13 PM

We need more info. What are you looking for?

In general, Chinese banquet = cheapest and easy to plan. Hotel = most expensive and no tasty food (unless you baller).

We bought out a restaurant in Yaletown and the food was excellent. Guests get to order from a menu on the spot. However, it would not fit your guest count.

Try Bridges? They can do 150 people.

jbsali 10-06-2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special K (Post 8539625)
We need more info. What are you looking for?

In general, Chinese banquet = cheapest and easy to plan. Hotel = most expensive and no tasty food (unless you baller).

We bought out a restaurant in Yaletown and the food was excellent. Guests get to order from a menu on the spot. However, it would not fit your guest count.

Try Bridges? They can do 150 people.

We are really open right now. We are trying to decide between set dishes or a buffet. budgeting for around $50 per plate or less

Decorations will be mainly rustic/hipster feel

Looking to keep the whole wedding "cost-efficient". looking between 15-25k at the most for the whole wedding.

Cash bar

Thanks for all the recommendations guys and hopefully more to come :)

SoNaRWaVe 10-06-2014 11:48 PM

if you are budgeting $50 per plate/person and i am assuming:
175x50=8750 (15k)
225x50=11250 (22k)

almost half your budget is already to food.

without knowing any more details, i think you will be over budget. i'm thinking venue, photographers, flowers, decor, dj, transportation, suits, etc etc will easily cost you the other half unless you are having a really simple wedding and know a few people that can do stuff for you at a discount.

v_tec 10-07-2014 12:06 AM

Host it at where you met your wife; Captain Happy Bubble.

I'm sure they can hook you up with a good rate ;)

Special K 10-07-2014 12:13 AM

Okay. You will need to get more creative with a $15-22k budget. Like a farm to reduce venue costs?

Sonar is correct. Your budget is tight for a wedding. Basically you two should prioritize what is most important. Venue? Photographers? Flowers? Each of these are easily $1,000+ each.

Also, build in $1,000-$1,500 for a wedding day (1 day only) coordinator. Best investment ever.

rb 10-07-2014 12:29 AM

https://c3.staticflickr.com/3/2445/3...ea21b554_n.jpg

Came across this blog while looking up prices for Old Orchard in Port Moody. http://iloveyoumorethansleep.blogspo...ing-venue.html