REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
[Confidential] Sponsoring a GF for permanent residency status

The following is a submission from an anonymous Revscene member who requested a confidential post some time ago. Sorry to the OP. I've been busy striking oil, ranching cattle, and shooting pistols wildly into the air as we Texans do

I have been going out with my girlfriend since March, 2014, and her work visa is going to expire in June of 2015.

She was originally working in Vancouver to apply for the Provincial Nominee Program for a chance to get her permanent residence status in Canada.

Unfortunately she is running out of time and even if she applies in June, she will have to wait 8 to 9 months for processing before she finds out and she would have to return to her country.

We were thinking of applying for her permanent residence under common law, and we will be speaking with an advisor later on this week to discuss our options.

I was wondering if anyone here or someone they knew had been in a similar situation and if they could recommend any particular advisors or lawyers that specialize in these cases.

Doing a long-distance relationship is probably not going to work out very well so i'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this situation with her. Thanks!

She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,887 Posts
If you're going to apply as common law you better 1) actually be common law and 2) be damn sure you want to be common law.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I went through this process when I sponsored my then gf (now wife) for permanent residency. You can PM me if you want to hear my experience with the process.

Underscore makes a good point. Back when I sponsored my gf as common law, I read up on BC common laws and at the time, the common law spouse was not entitled to any of your assets, financial support, etc. However, that has changed in 2013. Now common law pretty much = married.

Last edited by IMASA; 01-14-2015 at 11:37 AM.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ pmed
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #5

^ exactly. OP is effectively proposing by becoming common law.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 01-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
I went through this process when I sponsored my then gf (now wife) for permanent residency. You can PM me if you want to hear my experience with the process.

Underscore makes a good point. Back when I sponsored my gf as common law, I read up on BC common laws and at the time, the common law spouse was not entitled to any of your assets, financial support, etc. However, that has changed in 2013. Now common law pretty much = married.
Also I if you sponsor someone. If they decided to get EI or collect socials securities the gov will make you pay for it. So if she goes on EI and collect $800 a month. You have to pay that. This last for about 3 or 5 years(I forgot the time).
Old 01-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
I read this reddit thread about Canadian immigration a few weeks ago. It may be tedious reading through it, but maybe you'll find some pertinent info in there
Old 01-14-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

Sponsor your spouse, partner or children
Effective December 22, 2014, eligible spouses or common-law partners have the opportunity to work in Canada while they wait for their application for permanent residence to be processed.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will issue open work permits to certain spouses or common-law partners who are applying for permanent residence from inside Canada, before the approval in principle decision on their application is made.
Program delivery update - December 22, 2014

That's pretty nice. I think one of my friends did that. She sponsor her husband. But they were both studying here beforehand. She did mention it took about 6 months or so.
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

You mentioned that she can apply for the provincial nominee program, why can't she apply for a visitors record to stay in Canada during the processing period of the PNP?
custum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Also I if you sponsor someone. If they decided to get EI or collect socials securities the gov will make you pay for it. So if she goes on EI and collect $800 a month. You have to pay that. This last for about 3 or 5 years(I forgot the time).
Back when I applied, I had to sign a document indicating that I would be financially responsible for my common law spouse for 10 years.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
kind of hijacking but maybe not...

anyone know what would happen say if boy transferred all assets (car, home, cash, etc)to mom/dad and became common law with girl and they eventually split? boy has no assets so what do they split?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
kind of hijacking but maybe not...

anyone know what would happen say if boy transferred all assets (car, home, cash, etc)to mom/dad and became common law with girl and they eventually split? boy has no assets so what do they split?
I don't think that really matters. When you enter a marriage/common law and you divorce/seperate, you are allowed to keep your assets that you acquired before the relationship.

Copy and paste from some website on BC Family law.
The basic principles of the Family Law Act
The law about dividing property and debt is contained in the Family Law Act. In general:

Each spouse is entitled to keep the property they brought into the relationship, plus certain kinds of property received during the relationship, like inheritances and court awards, as his or her “excluded property.”

Each spouse is entitled to one-half of the property acquired during the relationship, including any increase in value the spouses’ excluded property. The property the spouses are entitled to share in is called “family property.”

Each spouse is liable for one-half of the debt incurred during the relationship, including any debt incurred after separation to maintain family property. The debt the spouses are obliged to share is called “family debt.”
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I have been going out with my girlfriend since March, 2014
Careful there. Look at the risks you're taking first.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
I don't think that really matters. When you enter a marriage/common law and you divorce/seperate, you are allowed to keep your assets that you acquired before the relationship.

Copy and paste from some website on BC Family law.
The basic principles of the Family Law Act
The law about dividing property and debt is contained in the Family Law Act. In general:

Each spouse is entitled to keep the property they brought into the relationship, plus certain kinds of property received during the relationship, like inheritances and court awards, as his or her “excluded property.”

Each spouse is entitled to one-half of the property acquired during the relationship, including any increase in value the spouses’ excluded property. The property the spouses are entitled to share in is called “family property.”

Each spouse is liable for one-half of the debt incurred during the relationship, including any debt incurred after separation to maintain family property. The debt the spouses are obliged to share is called “family debt.”
How does that work for things like a mortgaged house though? ie. I bought it before we were common law, once we became common law we both started paying for it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
The way our justice system is set up, the man WILL get screwed hard if a relationship ends badly... I know you really love her and all, but if you sponsor her as common law, you are pretty much married. Do you know what happens to men when they get divorced? It rarely will work out in your favour.

Unfortunately, it is a well known trend - esp. in the Filipino community of which I am a part of - for people to get married purely to gain citizenship, and bring their "real" husband and kids over... I am not saying it is always like this, but just make sure you are thinking rationally and not with your heart (or your member).
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2015, 04:03 AM   #16

The following is a reply from the anonymous original poster

Thanks for the good responses, some of the links and discussion have been very helpful already.

First of all, she will be applying for a working holiday visa to extend the time to one year. I am trying to convince her to push to get her PR through the PNP (provincial nominee program) but it seems that she is a bit disappointed that I am not exactly excited to try to get it through common law.

I feel like it's a bit rushed since we haven't been together for a long time, yet someone more serious is being pushed into our relationship due to these circumstances. I mean, if I don't want to go through with it, she spoke with her advisor and said that there is a roughly 50/50 chance of getting nominated through PNP with her current work situation since she had already made some mistakes with the application process. On the other hand, if we start building more "Proof" that we are in a "common law" relationship such as:

- Moving in together
- Shared bank accounts
- Going on vacations together
- Facebook photos? Family trips,
- etc.

The advisor said that it would be a greater chance of getting the PR. Of course the easiest way would be too marry... But honestly I think it's definitely too early to talk about that.

I guess at this point, I really like her but i'm not 100% sure I want to be in this sort of relationship. If I tell her that I want her to seek PR through her employment and it doesn't go through, then it kind of complicates things, meaning that if we didn't build enough "proof" during that time, she have to move back to her home country.

We have been talking about moving together closer to the summer, but that's just one step, it just kind of feels awkward with the time looming behind us.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #17

Quote:
The following is a reply from the anonymous original posterOf course the easiest way would be too marry... But honestly I think it's definitely too early to talk about that.

I guess at this point, I really like her but i'm not 100% sure I want to be in this sort of relationship.
By becoming common law you're effectively marrying her. So if you're not ready to marry her, don't become common law.

Quote:
The following is a reply from the anonymous original posterWe have been talking about moving together closer to the summer, but that's just one step, it just kind of feels awkward with the time looming behind us.
Common law is defined as living in a marriage-like relationship for 2 years. If you've been together less than a year and don't live together how the heck do you expect to convince the gov't you're common law anyways?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Kind of sounds like.. yknow.. you don't even want to move in with her yet.

If this is the case, then I'd definitely NOT go common law. Sounds like shes just using the "love card" as a way to get you to sponsor her for her PR card.. I'd be weary.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
Unfortunately, it is a well known trend - esp. in the Filipino community of which I am a part of - for people to get married purely to gain citizenship, and bring their "real" husband and kids over... I am not saying it is always like this, but just make sure you are thinking rationally and not with your heart (or your member).
This happens in the Chinese community as well (Especially in China). The girl or the guys being sponsor paid like 50k to come to Canada and then divorce, get their real bf/gf and family.

But now law have change. If you are sponsoring someone you are responsible for them financial for 10 years (I think). The gov also limit how many people you can sponsor to come to Canada (I believe is one person per 5 years). So if you are doing this a a business (sponsoring someone to come to Canada coz they pay you) it will be much hard and also the risk as way higher.

Also there is a form to fill out that basically ask once you have PR will you or are you planning to bring over any relatives over to Canada. Most likely if you put yes then your chance of getting a PR status is lower. I am pretty sure the gov will keep that on your record and if you try to sponsor your family over they might pull out the form and start questioning you. Not to mention there is super visa where a family member can apply for a super visa so they can stay in Canada for up to 10 years. However coz they are in Canada using visa, they have to pay for their medicine bills, there are no benefits they can collect (EI, WBC, RRSP etc etc). If the odd chance you are able to sponsor your parents over as PR they will won't get any money till they live in Canada for 10 years after the retirement age. Canada is basically closing the loop holes so people can't abuse it.

I am going to sponsor my gf over in the next year or two. Just looking at all the new regulations and forms you have to fill is not easy. Also one mistake and it gets deny it will be a lot harder to sponsor her next time.

My advice to the OP if you do sponsor her make sure you keep records of everything you do with her. Text message, what's app message, call logs, Pictures you two takes, pictures of presents you send/give to each other with the name tags on, trips you guys together (IE plane ticket, concert ticket etc etc.......) and also if your parents knows you two are together have to write a letter to the gov stating they are aware of you two dating. You also want to have a plan for the future such as what happens if she loses her job, where you going to live etc etc....... Is not easy lol but I already started collecting all the message history I have with my gf and presents and gifts I send her I took pictures and have the address clearly visiable and the tracking number of the package I send her.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #20

Coles notes:

Common law = Married
Sponsoring her over for PR = You have to take care of her financially for 10+ years.

Seems like you're not quite ready for this kind of commitment yet.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #21
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

To be blunt, I get this feeling that you're being taken for a ride.

It's no secret that many of these girls that come here on a work visa or go to those shady ESL colleges downtown have a shitty life in their native countries. I heard of stories where they will deliberately try to get pregnant or divorce after PR/citizenship to not go back.

You should try to find out her true motivation whether it is due to you, or due to your citizenship. Caveat Emptor.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #22
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
She sounds pushy as fuck; I smell a scam.

try to push the idea of her waiting the 8-9 months; see how she reacts.

If you both are really in love, Long D will help you guys become stronger.
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:53 PM   #23
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,245 Times in 274 Posts
I agree with a few other people on here, that's a huge commitment for a couple that's been together for less than a year.
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
I believe cars are meant to be driven. I see zero point in having a beautiful car and never driving it. Might as well have Miranda Kerr in your bed and sleeping on the ground cause you don't want to fudge her mascara...

We go through our entire lives being told what to do every step of the way. The garage was always the one place where you could indulge in your own passion, with not a care for the outside world.
Godzira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK-EK View Post
She sounds pushy as fuck; I smell a scam.

try to push the idea of her waiting the 8-9 months; see how she reacts.

If you both are really in love, Long D will help you guys become stronger.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #25

The following is a reply from the anonymous original poster

Thanks again for the comments in the thread. To be honest, i'm not too concerned with potential asset reallocation if things go South. She is decently well off in terms of independence and financial stability and is the type of person that hates to rely on others in general.

We had a serious talk and discussed further options; One is to move to another more remote location in a Northern Province in Canada to get her PNP nomination, since there is a low amount of skilled workers there and it takes a shorter time to apply and process for PR once you are sponsored by a company. The only prerequisite that seems like a challenge is that the employer must have actively shown to try and hire from the local job pool for a month before seeking workers with an international background. At least with this option, we can visit each other once in a while without having to travel halfway across the world.

The main issue now is still time, since June is pretty much right around the corner. One of the other things we have to figure out is if it possible to apply for the 'Working Holiday' visa even if she currently resides in Canada. Some of her friends have used this to work but they applied from another country. That, or looking for other ways to buy some time to figure this out.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.