REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Engagement Party Question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/701264-engagement-party-question.html)

hchang 01-31-2015 08:37 PM

Engagement Party Question

So a good friend of mine just got engaged and is having an engagement party at a Chinese restaurant in Richmond

I'm a little lost as to what the norm is for presents or if any at all? Do I just buy a bigger ticket item for the actual wedding? Or do I get something for both.

I've only ever been to a western wedding and an East Indian engagement party, and I got presents for both.

If gifts what should I get? They don't have a registry and didn't ask for anything (being humble). I know baby stuff is out of the question so what's a more "Chinese" tradition? Red pockets? (Dollar amount?)

My friend is Vietnamese and her fiancée is Chinese if that helps

Thanks in advance

westopher 01-31-2015 08:40 PM

Maybe take them a nice bottle of wine? Its a nice gesture and won't break the bank. I don't think its necessary, but not sure of traditions on the matter.

fliptuner 01-31-2015 08:54 PM

AFAIK, it's atypical for Chinese/Viet to have an engagement party, so I'd call it Western influenced. However, if you want to err on the safe side, go red envelope w/ cash.

Lomac 01-31-2015 09:05 PM

Engagement parties are a western thing? That's news to me...

Tapioca 01-31-2015 09:06 PM

Unless it's a "Jack and Jill", I wouldn't get anything other than a card. If they're planning to do the traditional Chinese banquet, save your red envelope until then.

SoNaRWaVe 01-31-2015 09:48 PM

i'm chinese so i tend to just give red envelopes for the wedding.

engagement parties, i kind of gauge what kind it is. since its a restaurant, i wouldn't bring wine or anything at all. i would just get a card.

i think the gift registry thing is usually for the actual day of the reception but some people do it differently.

in terms of cash value, how close is these couple to you? the closer they are, the higher the value.

trip 02-01-2015 12:15 AM

generally you give a card/red pocket with some money to try and cover your seat.

Ch28 02-01-2015 12:49 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I think engagement parties are a big scam for the wedding couple to try and milk their friends/family for as much as they can.

Eatman 02-01-2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip (Post 8589708)
generally you give a card/red pocket with some money to try and cover your seat.

that's for weddings, engagement parties are a different matter

Eatman 02-01-2015 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8589717)
Maybe it's just me, but I think engagement parties are a big scam for the wedding couple to try and milk their friends/family for as much as they can.

Google says it's to fund the wedding, genius move lol

asian_XL 02-01-2015 02:28 AM

good friend...at least $200 in a red envelope, otherwise you are not welcomed or good friend anymore.

68style 02-01-2015 05:42 AM

Haha Asian_XL just puts a giant box out at his labelled "S-Class Maintenance Fund"

Special K 02-01-2015 07:58 AM

Why would anyone do an engagement party? Just in case they don't end up getting married but still get the $$$?

I know a couple like that

fliptuner 02-01-2015 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special K (Post 8589754)
Why would anyone do an engagement party? Just in case they don't end up getting married but still get the $$$?

I know a couple like that

:heckno:

quasi 02-01-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8589620)
Engagement parties are a western thing? That's news to me...

LOL, was thinking the samething I've had a ton of "western" friends get married and never been to an engagement party.

flagella 02-01-2015 08:23 AM

Lol engagement party. This is funny.

fliptuner 02-01-2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8589756)
LOL, was thinking the samething I've had a ton of "western" friends get married and never been to an engagement party.

Lol, by Western I didn't mean white people. I meant more along the lines of current, North American trends. I haven't been to an engagement party either - I don't see the point. Unless they're rich, why bother with the expense?

Since the OP's a good friend, he's probably already going to spend decent coin on the bachelor party and wedding gift - even more if he's a groomsman, plus time.

The avg. cost of a table at a Chinese restaurant (banquet style) is going to run $600-$1000ish? So if you're going to give money, at least cover your meal +.

supafamous 02-01-2015 09:02 AM

Unless it's a big trick and they're getting married that day which is what happened with a couple I know. They told everyone it was an engagement part but had actually gotten engaged a year ago and had been secretly planning their wedding the whole time. We show up and groom announces that it's not an engagement party but a wedding.

It was great. Groom's mom starts screaming out in shock in the middle of the room.

westopher 02-01-2015 09:13 AM

Lol at all the conspiracy theories in here for money making engagement parties. We had an engagement party at our house. Just cooked a bunch of food and got shitfaced because you know, it's fun to celebrate with your friends?

68style 02-01-2015 09:19 AM

Yah, everyone has their own idea of what it is... I doubt that many people have $$$ signs in their eyes, and if they do, why are you even going to their wedding/friends with them in the first place?

I am white and would probably bring a red envelope myself with like $20 or something in it with a card just to engage in the culture a little bit... and then based on the level of hotties invited, up that amount hahaha. Kidding. Maybe.

Save the pre-wedding gifts for the girls doing their bridal shower or whatever I say!

nabs 02-01-2015 09:59 AM

I don't give gifts at engagement parties, at all, ever.

SoNaRWaVe 02-01-2015 10:21 AM

when me and my wife hosted our engagement party, we never asked or intended to receive anything. we just wanted our close friends and family to celebrate with us knowing that we will be getting married.

to be a bit off topic, even at our wedding, we invited people to come expecting nothing. you wouldn't host a wedding hoping that your wedding gets covered for (or at least partially) and getting gifts. thats just a bonus.

it should be just for celebrating with close friends and family and that should be it. if you were to be classified of not being a close friend anymore just because you didn't gift a good monetary value or bring a gift, well, some kind of friends you have.

Alby 02-01-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8589770)
Lol, by Western I didn't mean white people. I meant more along the lines of current, North American trends. I haven't been to an engagement party either - I don't see the point. Unless they're rich, why bother with the expense?

Since the OP's a good friend, he's probably already going to spend decent coin on the bachelor party and wedding gift - even more if he's a groomsman, plus time.

The avg. cost of a table at a Chinese restaurant (banquet style) is going to run $600-$1000ish? So if you're going to give money, at least cover your meal +.

this. when i had my wedding, 15 tables that seated 10 per table put the bill just slightly over 10k.

Ch28 02-01-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eatman (Post 8589719)
Google says it's to fund the wedding, genius move lol

You shouldn't be anywhere close to thinking about a wedding if you need to resort to having your family and friends fund it for you.

hi-revs 02-02-2015 01:39 PM

I've got a freind getting married this year in Manitoba and theyre known to have this get-together known as "The Social".
Its kind of like an engagement party where guests have to buy a ticket to enter, pay for drinks- i believe, and all proceeds go to the couple to spend on their wedding.

Its apparently a tradition over there to have this party to raise money before having the actual wedding.