REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 02-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Ditching Telus for Teksavvy/Lightspeed?

Now that Telus is charging for cap overages, I'm finally going to discontinue my DSL. Been a customer since 1997 but my house downloads like 500GB a month. 350+ at the least.

Teksavvy has DSL 15MBps or cable 25MBps for $45 a month with no cap. Lightspeed has cable 25MBps for $37 a month with no cap.

Is anyone with either of these ISPs? I did a search and threads are over a year old.

How legit is the "unlimited" bandwidth? Any extra charges?
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I'm interested in people's experience as well. I have been considering moving to teksavy, but after reading about how hard it is to get proper tech with them (through shaw) it scared me off. I do a lot of work from home, and cannot be without Internet for days at a time.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,694 Posts
Good to know. Telus has been testing these overage charges at other places, but I guess they have finally made it a standard now.
My Telus TV and internet bundle is already pretty cheap, so I probably have no other choice but to be more careful with my usage.

Although if I do go over, only $5 for extra 50GB cap isn't too bad of a deal for me personally.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
What's considered cheap for your Telus TV and Internet? I'm paying like $130 a month for TV and Internet with the HD TV channels and the 250gb Internet plan. My contract is up next month so I'm either going to cancel the TV or see what Shaw has to offer.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

When everyone cancels, and they ask why, make sure to say the reason is directly because of implementing bandwidth caps. I'm going to do the same.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

To those that are switching from Telus to Shaw, what difference will it make, besides price? You still need to conform to Shaw's bandwidth caps. If you're using lots of bandwidth now (excess of 400GB/month), your only choices are Shaw and Telus resellers that offer unlimited bandwidth.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Been with teksavvy for 6+ years now.. They increased their price once but very reliable connection...i've never seen it go down really.... I download have netflix so never seen issues with caps and such.

I pay for 7.5/0.5 but am almost always at 20mbps/0.5
Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Wow, those prices are a lot cheaper than Telus!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,960 Times in 3,891 Posts
While Shaw technically has caps, you have to consistently go way over them before they start to care.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
hnnng...which area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
While Shaw technically has caps, you have to consistently go way over them before they start to care.
example?

my household hovers +/- 100GB around the cap which is 400GB
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
fucking shady mother fuckers. my friend's friend recruited my sister to switch our shaw to telus. Our meet up time was this weekend for a full switch. This was before the news about telus charging bandwidth came about all over the media. Dude didn't tell us anything about this "overcharge on data". Said he checked if I was qualified for 25MBPS data and said i was only qualified for 15..... shady recruiters!

it was like $60 for cable, phone, 3-15MBPS (150GB data) internet. My family hovers around 280GB+ per month.... shaw called me because they knew we were cancelling, I knew this was coming when they begged to me on their knees on the other side of the phone trying to get me back. We were originally paying $120 for broadband 50 (was getting between 50-65 MBPS and 3 upload, phone, and HD channels.

Now i reverted back to 30MBPS, same channels, same phone for 6 months no contract all over $60. (no over data charge!)

Could care less if my speed was a bit slower to be honest but half of the original cost, sometimes if you pull the doom switch, they will beg for forgiveness. Will probably try to threaten them again once my 6 months is up

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
hnnng...which area?

example?

should be fine

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:45 AM   #13
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
just curious, when you guys first signed up with your current internet plans, was it unlimited data usage?

or was there a cap and they never enforced it and now that they are, you guys are just upset about what you originally agreed to.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:06 AM   #14
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
To my knowledge, there had always been data caps. It's clearly listed when u look at the Internet plans page. It's just never really strictly enforced in the past. With shaw, many many years ago i used up double the amount of bandwidth allowed n their way of enforcing it was cutting my internet off for 5 days. I guess now instead of cutting ur internet they just charge u money for it. So I don't get y r all u ppl so upset abt companies enforcing a rule that's always been there. If ur constantly goin over the data cap then clearly ur on the wrong Internet plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2015, 02:41 AM   #15

Thanked 7,408 Times in 3,476 Posts
Been with Shaw and Telus and Shaw is way better for internet. There customer service is also better.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
Been with teksavvy for 6+ years now.. They increased their price once but very reliable connection...i've never seen it go down really.... I download have netflix so never seen issues with caps and such.

Have you ever had to have a tech to come to the house? As Teksavvy is buying bandwidth through shaw, I have read its a shaw tech that comes to do the service, and they are extremely unhelpful if you have teksavvy.

Any experience?

Very interested in Teksavvy, as the same package I have with Shaw is about half price with them (25/2.5). I could move to a 50/3 package and be just a bit more than what I pay now.

EDIT: Quick search brings up DSLreports, and reviews like this on teksavvy:

"Update Jan 27 2015: Teksavvy has been pretty good when using DSL reports for customer service. If you can wait for answers, this is the way to go. They've been pretty proactive in trying new options and making it attractive for me to try different things. I still think that the cause of the problem lies with the incumbent, and as such, I can't really falut TSI for poor connection reliabliy. I'll ukp the Value for money up one unit again.

Update Jan 25 2015: A pretty predictable pattern of 9-10pm 15-20% packet loss or ping times from 500-1000ms TSI Support has been good in responding to my forum postings and are limited in the actions they can take with incumbent. I do have a docsis 2.0 modem, so that may be the problem or the node may be oversubscribed. Upped tech support ratings, upped Connection reliablilty (not TSI Fault?), upped value for money (400/gb/month in unlimited periods)

Update Jan 14 2015: I expect that there will be intermittent packet loss at least 2-3 times a month. I can't drop connection reliablilty anymore, so I have to drop services to 3/5. I'm still happy with service overall. I'd switch, but I'm staying with teksavvy mostly to stick it to the incumbents.

Update Dec 09 2014: Terrible ping quality. It's been a continuing intermittent problem. Typically at night. I'm getting really tired of this."

This is what scares me away. As I use my internet to often work from home as well as all of my media options (no cable), I really cant have intermitant issues. Shaw has been pretty rock solid for me for the last year so I guess Ill be sticking with them for now.

Last edited by 91civicZC; 02-24-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
ddr
Snapping away

Interesting... i'm thinking of switching to telus as I don't really go over the data caps and the promo's up with shaw
60-100mpbs for $55 sounds goods for 6 mos

so i heard there's no more notice needed to be given for cancellation? but if I don't give them notice, how will they have time to call back and match that price =p
Old 02-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
Have you ever had to have a tech to come to the house? As Teksavvy is buying bandwidth through shaw, I have read its a shaw tech that comes to do the service, and they are extremely unhelpful if you have teksavvy.
I thought Teksavvy uses Telus lines? Are they switching to Shaw? I like Telus for its better than advertised speeds...my internet does cut out may be a handful of times a year for few minutes but that's not a dealbreaker for me.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #19

Thanked 8,960 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
example?

Personal experience, I've got the 400GB cap but I didn't realize they now count download AND upload together for the 400GB. August somehow I hit ~950GB total, Sept-Oct were ~700 each, Nov was 550, Dec and Jan I got down to just over the 400, the odd thing is I don't actually download much so I think it's online gaming that's killing it, I'll have to see if my router can do some logging.

Regardless, out of all that they've only called once about August. Worst case I can pay the extra $10/month and jump to Broadband 100 with the higher cap.

edit: What the fuck they changed the plans? Damnit I knew I should've just grabbed the B100 plan before. Looks like they're also dropping Speed from TV, good thing I already cancelled my TV since that was half of what I watched.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #20

Quote:
I thought Teksavvy uses Telus lines? Are they switching to Shaw? I like Telus for its better than advertised speeds...my internet does cut out may be a handful of times a year for few minutes but that's not a dealbreaker for me.
I had always read it was using Shaw, but maybe I'm wrong?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #21

Thanked 7,408 Times in 3,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
just curious, when you guys first signed up with your current internet plans, was it unlimited data usage?

or was there a cap and they never enforced it and now that they are, you guys are just upset about what you originally agreed to.
I signed up with Shaw when they first came to town. I was a day one install. At the open house they had the rep said it was unlimited internet. People thought it meant unlimited data but later Shaw said it was a unlimited connection not unlimited data.

Anyone thinking of changing to Telus don't do it. There service is crap.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #22
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
I had always read it was using Shaw, but maybe I'm wrong?
i believe they piggyback from both
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #23
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Personal experience, I've got the 400GB cap but I didn't realize they now count download AND upload together for the 400GB. August somehow I hit ~950GB total, Sept-Oct were ~700 each, Nov was 550, Dec and Jan I got down to just over the 400, the odd thing is I don't actually download much so I think it's online gaming that's killing it, I'll have to see if my router can do some logging.

Regardless, out of all that they've only called once about August. Worst case I can pay the extra $10/month and jump to Broadband 100 with the higher cap.

edit: What the fuck they changed the plans? Damnit I knew I should've just grabbed the B100 plan before. Looks like they're also dropping Speed from TV, good thing I already cancelled my TV since that was half of what I watched.
The bandwidth cap goes both ways, weather it be upload or downloads, as long as there's traffic it's counted. Do u download a lot of torrents? Most ppl don't realize that torrents keep on uploading when it's done downloading so they end up uploading a lot causing high bandwidth usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #24
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts

Tweeted out that I'm leaving Telus after being a customer for 17 years. Telus had this to say.

Well, they're not wrong.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2015, 06:37 PM   #25
RS controls my life!

that's such a pathetic response from them

debating to switch from them too.. but loving the fibre connection too much
MikeyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote