REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

St Paul is supposed to be heritage building. Is the city/church/hospital able to sell the building + land to developers?
Advertisement
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #27
I am grateful grapefruit

an older article mentioned that 55% of the patients at St Paul's were from outside Downtown - it makes sense to have a location that's more central, has more parking, and also is easier to get to via public transit.

As well, the majority of the patients that use the ER at St pauls were from the DTES.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
better pray Canucks don't make the Stanley cup finals when the current one closes and DT locks down
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #29
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,304 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
an older article mentioned that 55% of the patients at St Paul's were from outside Downtown - it makes sense to have a location that's more central, has more parking, and also is easier to get to via public transit.

As well, the majority of the patients that use the ER at St pauls were from the DTES.
While 55% is more than 1/2, it isn't really an overwhelming majority though. Another thing is the overall capacity. Speaking from experience, I would say that our urgent (medical) care in BC is still top notch. But as soon as you move into a non (immediately) life threatening situation, be prepared to wait -- it is going to take a while. Our healthcare system's capacity to process those non (immediately) life threatening cases could really use a lot of improvement. Having an extra hospital in the region could go a long way in relieving that.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #30
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,496 Times in 555 Posts
Was born there. Sad to see it go
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #31
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
While 55% is more than 1/2, it isn't really an overwhelming majority though. Another thing is the overall capacity. Speaking from experience, I would say that our urgent (medical) care in BC is still top notch. But as soon as you move into a non (immediately) life threatening situation, be prepared to wait -- it is going to take a while. Our healthcare system's capacity to process those non (immediately) life threatening cases could really use a lot of improvement. Having an extra hospital in the region could go a long way in relieving that.
I was trying to source where I read the 55%, but the vancitybuzz (yay!) article said that Providence Data says that 40% of the patients from St Paul's are from outside Vancouver, not downtown.

Some people are saying that Mt St Joseph will likely close down as well.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #32
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,304 Times in 2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I was trying to source where I read the 55%, but the vancitybuzz (yay!) article said that Providence Data says that 40% of the patients from St Paul's are from outside Vancouver, not downtown.

Some people are saying that Mt St Joseph will likely close down as well.
If the non-DT patients only make up for 40% of St. Paul's patient base, then having St. Paul move out of DT will be a major inconvenience for the DT residents as I was suspecting.

I have dealt with both St. Paul and MSJ on numerous occassions -- both are run by Providence and they share the same patient database. Despite its small size and their more limted range of services, I have always been very impressed by how good their quality of care has been. It'll be sad of either MSJ or St. Paul comes out losing as a result of this upheaval.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #33
I subscribe to Revscene

Location is everything... specially for a hospital. With a city this congested, False Creek is too far.

If lives really mattered to this government it would build a new earth quake resistant hospital in the same place... but such a property and the milking of its property tax is greater then what people deserve.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
think I just...thanked CiC's post?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #35

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
Currently work at SPH. They are still upgrading the elevators right now. So it doesn't really make sense to move. But the Burrard building is not earthquake proof so it's a safety issue for sure.

False Creek is too far from the Downtown core as well and if they do remove the viaduct, it will be a problem for sure.

As for haunted stories, read this from an ex security guard who worked there.

[Experience] The haunting of St. Paul's Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada. : Paranormal
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #36
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
I know SPH isn't entirely earthquake proof but could it not be converted into a....you know....

Mental health facility?
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #37
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Transform it into the Arkam Asylum. Vancouver's own version, it being an old heritage building is a nice start.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #38

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
I know SPH isn't entirely earthquake proof but could it not be converted into a....you know....

Mental health facility?
Yea and it will eventually close down just like how Riverview did. No budget.

SPH right now has pretty good mental health facilities. 4 to 5 inpatient psych and ER psych. And the normal ER beds sometimes all get filled up with psych patients too. It's pretty overwhelming for ER staff. I hope they expand it at the new false creek location or else VGH will get overwhelmed.
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 AM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
Location is everything... specially for a hospital. With a city this congested, False Creek is too far.

If lives really mattered to this government it would build a new earth quake resistant hospital in the same place... but such a property and the milking of its property tax is greater then what people deserve.
coherent, intelligible, not a cracker rant.... CiC, what happened to you?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #40
I subscribe to Revscene

Just being myself as always... maybe its you guys that have changed
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #41
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,817 Times in 2,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
coherent, intelligible, not a cracker rant.... CiC, what happened to you?
last week I see a post that didn't contain zionist cats...now this...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #42
RS controls my life!

The new site actually makes a lot of sense when it comes to the future of the city. do you really imagine that st.pauls can continue to expand with it's current location in the future? There's heritage houses and skyscrapers on all corners of its location. The new location is HUGE, nearly a kilometer long for pete sakes. It's close to a major, recently renovated skytrain station, the train/bus station, and a number of bus stops. According to cbc the majority of st.pauls use has been from out of towners so the close proximity to a skytrain and the bus station does seem like a better motive. And not to mention the overall growth of the city and what potential this new location could have. VGH is surrounded by skyscrapers, expensive real estate and heritage houses as well so we could potentially see the future of most of vancouvers health care at the future location. not to mention it's close to the lower east side, an area with a high demand for emergency service and citizens with medical needs. The people of the west end can suck up the 10-15 minute transit time to get to the hospital. You don't hear the other half of the city complaining when it comes glaringly apparent that all the major hospitals in the city are located within 10 blocks of downtown vancouver.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #43
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
^ Many people who live in the West End are retired/semi-employed and have A LOT of time on their hands to complain about anything and everything. This move makes sense, but the City of Vancouver probably has a lot to lose since they were probably counting on taxation from the destruction of the viaducts.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote