REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: It's Election Day!
Liberal 226 57.65%
NDP 57 14.54%
Green 7 1.79%
Conservative 66 16.84%
Other to support fringe beliefs 2 0.51%
Spoiled/Throwaway ballot 3 0.77%
Didn't Vote (BOO) 18 4.59%
Couldn't Vote for a Legit Reason 13 3.32%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #51
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Provide some for this current campaign.

If you're referring to the Engage Canada ads, I wouldn't call them slam ads or attack ads. They're more stating facts than attacking the leader of the party.

There's a difference between saying "he has great hair but being PM isn't an entry level position" vs. providing facts and sources followed by an opinion.

Some ads from Engage are here:
Engage Canada's anti-Harper ad run could get cut short - Politics - CBC News

either you are extremely biased, or extremely blind. You can call harpers 'attacks' on trudeau as stating facts as well. They take a video clip of trudeau talking about what his policy will be (providing fact and source), which is why they say he's not ready (follow with an opinion). That fits 100% of your very own criteria as being informational.

You want an attack ad? here:

advertising works. that's why its there. power to whomever can convince the most sheep to vote for them.
Advertisement

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
You better do what Revscene tells you to do!
more like I tell myself what to do. I have had enough of this bullshit the past couple years. Canada isn't looking too good the past years. a

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #53
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
more like I tell myself what to do. I have had enough of this bullshit the past couple years. Canada isn't looking too good the past years. a
You already make poor decisions and judgement on your culinary adventures.

I can't help but doubt your decision making abilities on the political arena. You're really going to need Revscene spoon feed you on this one.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS

Just like last election I'll be voting NDP again.

I like the fact C51 will be scrapped, and income sharing removed as well.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
is there some site that shows where these people stand on "issues" -- economy, family, war, policies, etc.?

like we have for comparison shopping?
Everything you need to know about the parties? platforms, from taxes and terrorism to the environment | National Post

Just found this. Hope it is somewhat what you were looking for

15 Lincoln MKC 2.3L Ecoboost

07 RAV4 Limited V6 *Sold*

90 CRX *Sold*
B16A, larger throttlebody and wires, lowered, 16" rims, front and rear upper strutbars, intake, white gauges, cross drilled brakes, exhaust, other small mods

05 Escape Limited *Sold*
CRX SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #56
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I feel little loyalty to my fellow Canadians, besides, didn't we steal this land from the natives?
Gululu, is that you?
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #57
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think the OP was thinking about Vote Compass

Vote Compass

The federal election compass is not up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRX SiR View Post

Last edited by godwin; 08-03-2015 at 06:43 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #58
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I'm probably one of the few on RS who will be voting conservatives, its no secret I lean fairly right on some issues. The issues that are at the top of my priority list are security/military and finances. Being involved as a PMC whos been boots down overseas and seen some of the things going on behind the scenes that most don't, I see the practical value and application of Bill C-51 for the most part. I also support the increase in TFSA contribution limits, low corporate and small business rates, and Nothern Gateway and other pipelines.

Liberals would be the only other party I would consider voting for but their platform is has a few items going against what I'd personally like and Justin Trudeau just annoys me to no end.

NDP, I'm pretty much against the majority of their platform, so no way I would ever vote for them.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #59
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
a guy wiping boogers in the skytrain and you (for example) are canadian citizens with equal rights...

One of the last times I rode the Skytrain I grabbed the handrail and there was a fresh booger on it that got onto my hand.

It was so disgusting. If anyone ever sees someone do that, please beat the living shit out of them.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
Gululu, is that you?

Should I feel guilty for what happened with the aboriginals?

Or are they merely savages that were conquered?
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #61
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Multi won't vote, yet he grandstands on RS more than anyone else in recent memory. If you wish to effect policy, you must participate.

My individual vote is completely fucking equal to the mouthbreather who wipes boogers on Skytrain handrails.

Voting is useless.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #62
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Should I feel guilty for what happened with the aboriginals?

Or are they merely savages that were conquered?
Both of those are probably the wrong answer.
Quote:
My individual vote is completely fucking equal to the mouthbreather who wipes boogers on Skytrain handrails.

Voting is useless.
If you don't vote then you are actually worth less. Zero influence is less than one.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #63
Banned (ABWS)

My friends are giving me mega shit for saying I won't vote.

Honestly I do not feel that government can do anything good, and that the world is about to get a lot shittier and there is no way to stop it.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #64
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
either you are extremely biased, or extremely blind. You can call harpers 'attacks' on trudeau as stating facts as well. They take a video clip of trudeau talking about what his policy will be (providing fact and source), which is why they say he's not ready (follow with an opinion). That fits 100% of your very own criteria as being informational.

You want an attack ad? here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmmSV1jtK3s

advertising works. that's why its there. power to whomever can convince the most sheep to vote for them.
To be completely honest, I haven't seen this ad run on TV or on radio.

But props on showing it to me. I was wrong.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #65

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
My friends are giving me mega shit for saying I won't vote.

Honestly I do not feel that government can do anything good, and that the world is about to get a lot shittier and there is no way to stop it.
Multi, I can appreciate your negativity. The world is fucked. Canada is fucked. Our systems are fucked. Modern democracy is anything but democracy. Its convincing the lowest common denominator through repetition and being recognizable similar to the diarrhoea that is pop music. Make some stupid hook that every fucking moron remembers and they can sing along to it and feel a part of something. Thats why in North America we can only muster up candidates that share a last name with former notable politicians or celebrities. We are a society made up of fucking idiots. That said, to not vote is to simply concede defeat. To lie down and say, let the idiots have their way. Use your voice, read, learn, then share your knowledge. Being charismatic is the strongest weapon you can have. When people are given the access to knowledge, even most of the absolute dumbest will still want to absorb it. If you want positive change, make it your responsibility to hand feed the info to the ignorant. Show your friends that things aren't what they seem. As stupid as many people are, they still have the ability to learn and make better decisions when given easier access to the information. Be the vehicle that delivers the information to make a positive change. Sway your friends votes. Discuss what matters, try and make this fucking shithole a better place. If you don't, you can't complain. Everyone has the power to change the world, albeit in a fucking minuscule way. When you assemble, all of a sudden that way becomes exponentially larger.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #66
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you are basing your vote for control of the Canadian economy, laws and tax system on having a party that won't make you register a rifle?
The long gun registry was a giant money sink that was a blatant waste of time for everybody involved. It failed to accomplish it's goal because the justification for it was based on flawed logic. If Mulcair insists that he intends to bring such a monumental failure back for the sake of an interest group that has little to no real knowledge of firearms or what drives gun violence in general, what reason would I have to vote such a man back into office?

If the conservatives wanted to guarantee a vote from firearms owners, they did it with bill C-42, along with minister Blaney making good on his promise to reverse the RCMP prohibition of CZ-858 and Swiss Arms rifles.

I would rather not vote for a party that prides itself in attempting to destroy one of the only hobbies that I enjoy. The razing wouldn't stop at the long gun registry, I can guarantee you.

Last edited by Yodamaster; 08-03-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #67
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
But guys, the most important agenda is ofcourse legalizing weed.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #68
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Multi, I can appreciate your negativity. The world is fucked.....
What if rather then a Zionist\Mason proxy run country... in history Hitler had powered his way into a monolithic banking powerhouse and through debt owed, was controlling Canada's affairs this way.

Hitlers Canada would play the role of a "peace keeper" but in reality was;
1 shipping billions in weapons to the Saudi's... who are indiscriminately dropping bombs on Yemen, killing over 5k in several months.

2 Sending supplies and military experts to train the new (U.S.A. 5 billion dollar created gov) Ukrainian army....which is still to this day indiscriminately shelling civilians.

3 locally, through our mp providing moral support for isreal which also bombs people indiscriminately (still waiting for the footage of Hamas rockets being fired next to hospitals, schools and U.N. shelters)

Wouldnt we be disillusioned cogs if we knew Hitler was controlling Canada yet we still kept voting the politicians provided and thus giving this system credibility?
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #69
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,188 Times in 361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I'm probably one of the few on RS who will be voting conservatives, its no secret I lean fairly right on some issues. The issues that are at the top of my priority list are security/military and finances. Being involved as a PMC whos been boots down overseas and seen some of the things going on behind the scenes that most don't, I see the practical value and application of Bill C-51 for the most part. I also support the increase in TFSA contribution limits, low corporate and small business rates, and Nothern Gateway and other pipelines.

Liberals would be the only other party I would consider voting for but their platform is has a few items going against what I'd personally like and Justin Trudeau just annoys me to no end.

NDP, I'm pretty much against the majority of their platform, so no way I would ever vote for them.
In practical application, shouldn't most people be maxing out their RRSP before touching their TFSA? Even as a student who pays limited taxes, the higher TFSA contribution limits isn't too valuable of a tool to me.

As well, with regards to their economic record, they've had some trouble balancing budgets - the last 7, and perhaps this year's budget as well given the bleak outlook. After June results are out, it also looks like we'll be headed into a technical recession.

I personally like to see actual meaningful results, and am a bit jaded towards distracting gimmicks. I can understand the value of the Conservative platform, but they really haven't delivered on their promises.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-04-2015, 05:26 AM   #70

It depends on what you are investing in.. RRSPs have taxes deferred until you withdraw but you don't need to pay US Cap gain (30%) because of tax treaty.

TFSA you don't need to pay any Canadian taxes but you need to pay US Cap gain. I rather max out my TFSA over maxing RRSP if I am fiscally limited. Also TFSA doesnt have time limit when you need to draw down and all that bs. I personally find the increase limit a nice bonus.

Remember even as a student you might not max out the TFSA.. the TFSA contribution limit increases every year and is retroactive so say if you earn 150k per year when you graduate, you can easily back fill.

If leveraged well, people can make a good deal of money tax free using tfsa.. especially this year with market like gang busters you can get an easy 20% gain. As long as you don't take the S too literally and don't fall into the 1.75% bonus savings like most banks are hawking.

We are in a recession.. see the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
In practical application, shouldn't most people be maxing out their RRSP before touching their TFSA? Even as a student who pays limited taxes, the higher TFSA contribution limits isn't too valuable of a tool to me.

Last edited by godwin; 08-04-2015 at 06:08 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #71
I STILL don't get it

Here's a decent summary:

Everything you need to know about the parties’ platforms, from taxes and terrorism to the environment
bakasam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #72
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
The problem for me is that Im very right leaning, I am strongly pro-firearms, I own a small business, and am very anti-union, and I very strongly believe against socialist handouts and I believe in working hard to get ahead.

But I don't like the idea of career politicians, or one party being in power for well over a decade, as no matter the party, favors are made, and corruption happens.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #73

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I made 1.2% on my TFSA last month alone. Hoping to close the year with a 10% return.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #74

Also note in Gov and rating agencies' eyes... personal debt ratio is a societal aggregate.. TFSA might only benefit higher income Canadians.. but it provides enough incentive for the aggregate personal debt to decrease to a saner level.. Yes, there are side effects, but for its primary purpose (ie to make our personal debt level looks less tragic), I think it is pretty effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I made 1.2% on my TFSA last month alone. Hoping to close the year with a 10% return.

Last edited by godwin; 08-04-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #75
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Based on the site above and a quick skim, it seems the liberals and ndp are adopting similar measures. They seem to be on the same page regarding the TFSA, bill c-51 in some aspects, pension. The trend seems that the liberals want to add committees to overlook other departments. Not sure if I enjoy the idea of expanding the bureaucracy. The Liberals seem really bold in wanting to legalize pot, which (just my opinion) will scare voters away from the liberals (older generations who grew up/programmed to oppose marijuana as well as misinformed citizens about that drug).
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote