REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #26
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
not true. I have seen good and bad wood frame lowrises but the window issue is an isolated incident. Happens to the best happens to the worst, you might just be unlucky.

But whether to cover that window, on the other hand, speaks volume to the amount of fucks the developer has to give.
Any wood frame will have noise issues regardless of finish. Even pouring a self leveling compound and adding that additional Barrier does not prevent noise pollution
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #27
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post
ONNI is all about producing the the minimum livable spaces, making them appear lavish and high-end, squeezing as many of those spaces as possible on their plot, and overcharging to make them more desirable.

ONNI is creating havoc in Vancouver.
To be fair, they're only working within the allowed means that various cities have given them. If cities truly didn't want them to build a dozen houses on a single acre, then they would amend the laws to prevent it. Or all the citizens of a particular neighbourhood where a new development is occurring can band together when it's proposed and see if their city hall can do something about it.

Look at Langley's Brookswood/Fernridge development battle. Developers had plans to triple the population in that area, yet the people already living there got together and managed to defeat the proposal when it was brought to the Council.

It can happen; you just have to be willing to fight for the change.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #28
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Also look at the Owners of the Onni corp I worked for them for some time and I know first hand that one of the higher ups had his house in the Properties completely reno'd for free using the tradesmen and materials from the Buildings on lower Lonsdale. He would bring up materials and workers from the building, have them install it and have free labor as they were being paid from the other job site. A simple search of their last name should provide insight as to who is actually profiting from these ventures.

Berz out.
evelynn never again.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Also look at the Owners of the Onni corp I worked for them for some time and I know first hand that one of the higher ups had his house in the Properties completely reno'd for free using the tradesmen and materials from the Buildings on lower Lonsdale. He would bring up materials and workers from the building, have them install it and have free labor as they were being paid from the other job site. A simple search of their last name should provide insight as to who is actually profiting from these ventures.

Berz out.

Unfortunately this is fairly common in the industry, it happens a lot I've seen it first hand working for multiple subs from a handful of different general contractors. Typically they wouldn't do it from there own developments because that's coming out of there bottom line. When there doing a sizeable project for someone else they might pad subcontracts with kickbacks or pad CO's to cover the costs. It's shady as hell but it happens a lot more then you'd expect.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #30
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ya that's not exactly out of this world....as the owner of a company it's pretty common place and expected
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #31
I don't get it either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
no offense but if she bought in a woof frame low-rise, thats the reality of all these buildings.
high rise concrete actually.
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #32
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

To be fair, while their customer service is shit. My concrete building has been noise free from what people have described form the floor above and below.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:22 PM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Next time if you ever viewing an Onni building, check out the hall ways. They can't even get that straight. The walls and base boards are not straight. Scary when they can't even do that right lol.
ed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Omni, bosa, polygon, all same sht
Every developers have horror stories.
My co worker bought a polygon condo Richmond.
When finished, they ended up installing wrong colour scheme for one washroom.
He fought and fought but at the end.. too bad so sad. I think they offered Keg steak giftcard.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #35
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^ But if your friend did an inspection when they finished and found out its the wrong colour scheme, wouldn't it constitute a breach of contract and they have no obligation to go through with the purchase? Unless he is desperate for a place to live. If colour was a big deal to me, I wouldn't have taken delivery of the unit
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #36
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Glass Deductible is/can be as low as $25
Old 05-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #37
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
^ But if your friend did an inspection when they finished and found out its the wrong colour scheme, wouldn't it constitute a breach of contract and they have no obligation to go through with the purchase? Unless he is desperate for a place to live. If colour was a big deal to me, I wouldn't have taken delivery of the unit
That's correct. Friend but a place in Richmond where half of the things wouldn't work and the developers keep forcing him the sign off which he didn't.

In the end after everything then he sign the paper. Of coz it help coz since he is in construction as well so they agent that walk him through the inspection can't BS their way out.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

It's already been said, some of you guys clearly don't know how the industry work. The "side projects" are pretty damn common.
Everyone is submitting bids to be part of these large developments, how do you think they come try to come out ahead of others competing to be on the same job, and possibly setting them up for multiple projects down the road. These side projects are chump change in the grand scheme of things.
akira112 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
Sounds like most people are just getting bent over and fucked in the ass then complaining about it a few months after the fact. Or puting no effort into their complaint process then using other avenues to vent..

If the color scheme was wrong in the place they should have walked away from the orientation/walk through that second and said they will come back once it has been fixed. The only time developers are going to sweat is when you're holding off completing.

The complete wrong thing to do was to accept the color change at all, period. The orientation should not have continued for a minute more with such a drastic mistake because the process of fixing it will most likely cause additional defincicies which would not have been noted if you completed or moved in prior to the fix.

When buying a place use your brain and your leverage.

I've done about 60-70 home owner orientations with buyers ranging from first time home owners to 7th time retiree's. 90% are clueless as to what they should look for/point out in their orientations.

If I was to buy a new place I'd be a developers worst nightmare. I'd literally be picking out things like caulking beads where the guy pulled his finger away early and there's a smudge. And it's all within your right to do so as the buyer.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #40
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
depends on the building and subtrades.
Unless it's a real high-end building, it's all low-bid gets the job for projects like this. You don't get good subtrades in for that.
MitchK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #41

define "good"

the people doing the 30 million dollar trump tower penthouses right now are some of the same who do 4 storey low rise in Surrey. So what is "good" ?
Old 06-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #42
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
define "good"

the people doing the 30 million dollar trump tower penthouses right now are some of the same who do 4 storey low rise in Surrey. So what is "good" ?
It depends on the trade. It's the finishing that it's more of an issue, because things like electrical/plumbing has to all pass code. Things like finishing carpentry and flooring (I spent 5 years putting floors in) aren't regulated.

You aren't getting a good quality finishing crew into multi-fam developments for low dollar. Anyone worth their keep is probably staying busy enough doing renovations/single family houses.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #43

well yea, finishing and drywall are the major quality factors the rest i wouldnt really say theres too much difference from the top to bottom. Maybe concrete finishing and stuff like that
Old 06-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #44
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
well yea, finishing and drywall are the major quality factors the rest i wouldnt really say theres too much difference from the top to bottom. Maybe concrete finishing and stuff like that
You've obviously not seen a bad drywall job, or at least haven't noticed it. There's a big difference in good/bad with that.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #45
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Hmm I think Hondaracer was saying drywall finishing IS one of the major quality factors along with finishing
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #46
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
About 1 year ago I did some work at my parents house with my bro in law who builds houses for a living. Nothing crazy, new laminate flooring, new base boards, new light switches. So of course things like caulking were involved and I saw the workmanship of my bro in law and thought ok this is a standard.

Since then I've been looking at places to buy for months now. New, old, Condos, Townhomes you name it and man the finishes look like shit in most of these places. Sloppy caulking, baseboards all crooked among other things. I'm with Honda, If I bought a place id keep off on signing and nit pick about everything.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #47

Too bad our company didn't have any townhouse sites on the go or else I might offer to give prospective home buyers a little crash course on things to look for during a walk through