REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Home Business legal Advice

Hello,

Where can I get legal advice on that subject? What should I expect in cost?
Please suggest lawyer or firm that you've had positive experience with.

Thank you

Nicolas
Advertisement
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
What do you need legal advice for? Lots of people have home businesses and you are being very vague right now...
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Ask a lawyer and ask how much they charge? Fee's for services vary so much.

My lawyer quoted me $100/hr for consultation around small business advice. See if any of your family has a good relationship with a lawyer and depending what you need, they may just do it for free or cheaper.
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
What do you need legal advice for? Lots of people have home businesses and you are being very vague right now...
Basically, I'd like to pick up a hobby, and in case some people might have and interest in my creations I could sell them. Something like 500$-1000$ a year. how do I declare that? do I need to create a company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
Ask a lawyer and ask how much they charge? Fee's for services vary so much.

My lawyer quoted me $100/hr for consultation around small business advice. See if any of your family has a good relationship with a lawyer and depending what you need, they may just do it for free or cheaper.
No Family here, as far as I know I am the only one of my family here.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

i believe I'm on to something -> Small supplier limit calculation

Will give them a call on monday and see what's up

Will let you know if my questions were answered

Thanks
Old 05-29-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinico View Post
Basically, I'd like to pick up a hobby, and in case some people might have and interest in my creations I could sell them. Something like 500$-1000$ a year. how do I declare that? do I need to create a company?

No Family here, as far as I know I am the only one of my family here.
Not a lawyer but I'm quite familiar with these types of things. My answer is going to be very generalized because your post is vague as fuck.

If that's all you're hoping for, skip incorporation. You don't need a lawyer for any side project that small. When you start doing about 5 digits you can think about it. Operational trademarks/copyrights can be applied retroactively but enforcing them is a whole different animal.

If you really want to, go here: Corporate Registry ? BC Registry Services

Read the entire website -- don't miss a single thing. Screw up and you don't get your money back. Unless you have massive global ambitions, patents/IP, or you will want to enforce trademarks in the future you can do it from home for about $300. I'm not going to explain much more because you're going to have to get used to doing your own homework/ reading things if you want to succeed in business.

Otherwise you're looking at $3-5k/year for a lawyer to do the same thing. A lawyer will give you slightly more protections but for doing sub-$50k/year of business it's not worth it.

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
Not a lawyer but I'm quite familiar with these types of things. My answer is going to be very generalized because your post is vague as fuck.

If that's all you're hoping for, skip incorporation. You don't need a lawyer for any side project that small. When you start doing about 5 digits you can think about it. Operational trademarks/copyrights can be applied retroactively but enforcing them is a whole different animal.

If you really want to, go here: Corporate Registry ? BC Registry Services

Read the entire website -- don't miss a single thing. Screw up and you don't get your money back. Unless you have massive global ambitions, patents/IP, or you will want to enforce trademarks in the future you can do it from home for about $300. I'm not going to explain much more because you're going to have to get used to doing your own homework/ reading things if you want to succeed in business.

Otherwise you're looking at $3-5k/year for a lawyer to do the same thing. A lawyer will give you slightly more protections but for doing sub-$50k/year of business it's not worth it.
Sweet! thanks a lot. Will start reading tomorrow, as I got a migraine making me miserable. Peace
Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

if your revenues are just going to be $500 to $1000 a year then don't bother setting up a company. Just claim as extra income on your tax return.

You don't charge any taxes on your products or services.
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
From the sounds of it, you're more likely going to get the answer you want from an accountant.

and x2 what Nssan said.
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: