REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Any tech savvy people here? Question regarding Telus internet.

Planning to switch to Telus internet from Shaw but I believe Telus uses telephone jack for their DSL instead of coaxial cable Shaw uses.

Currently our telephone jack is located near the entrance which rather far away from where our TV is located. My parents are currently watching Chinese TV through a TV box that's connected to our TV, and this TV box needs to be plugged in through a ethernet cable to the internet modem.

There is no problem using Shaw as depicted in the picture below (sorry for the ugly pic) since coaxial cable port is right behind the TV so that's where the internet modem is set up and connected to the TV Box. However, with Telus if the internet box is to be installed, it'll be near the telephone jack and there is no way for the TV box to reach it.

Is it possible to make Telus internet work with coaxial cable like Shaw is using? Prob asking stupid questions here since I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing, but it'll be great if someone can chime in.

Advertisement
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

The Telus installer will install a modem/routrr at the outlet of the phone line.
This model will have a coax out that the installer will run cabling back to the Junction box outside your house. This connects to the existing coax cabling throughout the house so all existing coax outlets can be used. At least this is how its set up at my house.
C-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Is this an apartment or house? If it's the latter, Telus may be able to run a line on the exterior of the house to a more convenient location near your TV.

Is the current telephone jack near a coax jack? If so, I believe Telus can use HPNA and the existing coax in the unit to feed data to the coax jack next your TV.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
They'll do all the wiring for each optik box connected to a tv. On the back of each optik box there is a Ethernet port which you can connect to your Chinese tv box. I just learned this recently and those Ethernet ports on the back are really useful. That's if your using optik tv as well.

You can also use netgear powerline, which runs Ethernet through your power line.

Last edited by corollagtSr5; 08-16-2015 at 07:22 PM.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
FYI: Telus sucks. Made the switch and it was terrible. Went back to Shaw.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
They'll do all the wiring for each optik box connected to a tv. On the back of each optik box there is a Ethernet port which you can connect to your Chinese tv box. I just learned this recently and those Ethernet ports on the back are really useful. That's if your using optik tv as well.

You can also use netgear powerline, which runs Ethernet through your power line.
yup +1 for powerline. get it from Memory express though or somewhere with an actual return policy (as I read somewhere that sometimes it wont work due to wiring issues with the house)

get the fastest speed!

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

Really appreciate all the help. We are in a house.

To answer some questions, there's no coax jack near a telephone jack.

We are going only with the internet so I suppose we won't have an optik box.

My biggest concern was that if the internet modem was to be installed next to the telephone jack, then our TV box will not reach.

Btw, for those who said Telus sucks, is it really that bad compared to Shaw? i.e. Telus' Internet 25 vs. Shaw's Internet 25 (although no longer exists).

They said we are in an area with fiber optics, so I thought it's probably good.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts
Your two options here:
1. modem by telephone jack, power line to bring a wired connection to the tv area *thing is powerline is unpredictable* if the electrical wiring is weird you may not see your full bandwidth

2. technician will run a telephone wire to the other side of the house by your tv *billable*

Manic please explain why it sucked? customer service wise or internet service wise. I would pick DSL over cable any day for ping and speed stability *not to say shaw cable cannot provide that kind of service but they are shared increasing the likelihood or slower speeds*

If you are on TELUS 15 AND installed properly I guarantee you speed test 24/7 and it will be 15. Same goes for for TELUS 25 and 50 ETC

If you live in a area that has GPON even better...
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
I got telephone service from 10pm to 3pm before I switched to shaw. Call them thrice to fix the shit and they still can't , maybe they were experimenting with non peak hour telephone service?

Oh yea, no DSL service in my part of the street too because end of the line.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Is it possible to get just Optik Tv alone?

The sales rep says No
A non-telus installer friend of mine says Yes

Who is right?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Optik TV by itself? I don't think that's possible since looking at my current set up, the exterior phone line runs into the Telus Modem/Router which provides the signal/data for the TV boxes, it also doubles up as a router for internet access, so it's kind of hard to see how they can provide data to your TV but restricts your internet access.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #12
GC8

its possible to get optik tv without internet. They can't force people to get internet..
yes there will still be a modem/router installed but the internet WILL be restricted. If you try the wifi it will take 10mins to load a page =)
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #13
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Really appreciate all the help. We are in a house.

To answer some questions, there's no coax jack near a telephone jack.

We are going only with the internet so I suppose we won't have an optik box.

My biggest concern was that if the internet modem was to be installed next to the telephone jack, then our TV box will not reach.

Btw, for those who said Telus sucks, is it really that bad compared to Shaw? i.e. Telus' Internet 25 vs. Shaw's Internet 25 (although no longer exists).

They said we are in an area with fiber optics, so I thought it's probably good.
I have Telus OptikTV at the house. For me, instead of running ethernet cables all over the house, I opted to go with wireless TV receivers. The PVR box sits right next to the Telus modem/router combo. There is a wireless add-on for wireless receiver to work that also sits next to the Telus modem/router. Then, I have two wireless receiver connected to two different TVs in the house. No mess, no wires. With the wireless receivers, you can control the PVR from any remote. You never have to see the PVR box again.

For TV speed, since they are on a different Wi-Fi signal, the TV receivers do not impact normal internet Wi-Fi usage. I had both TVs running HD channels and also using the PVR to record three different channels, and I didn't see a drop in performance.

For Internet speed, I opted for the fastest internet speed possible for my location. I was told that each HD stream will take about 3 Mbps of available bandwidth, and they will be prioritized over normal internet traffic. So, you will see a decrease in internet performance when there are a lot of TV traffic.

FYI for people who are looking for sign-up for Telus Optik TV/Internet.

By the way, I have fibre directly into the house. I'm not setup like most other places where Telus fibre goes to a junction box, and then copper goes to the house.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #14
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Switched to Telus a few years ago and never looked back. Back then, Telus was the better deal for me.

Can't compare the TV because I never had Shaw digital and I don't watch anything other than the news channels these days.

Internet speeds are as advertised, never had an issue with downtime in 4 years of switching over.

Main reason I'm still with them right now is the 10mbps upload speeds with the 50mbps package. When you run things like ownCloud and Plex, faster upload is better. Also, with the 50meg, you get the modem that allows bridging so you can use your own router as well.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #15
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
Word of caution about powerline networking -- when they work, they mostly work. When they don't work, they don't work. Especially in an older house, they have a much higher tendency to not work.

I have tried multiple brands of these things, but the results seem to be the same -- they all have a tendency to randomly drop your connection every now and then. Sometimes they would work without hiccuping for days and weeks and months on end. But sometimes, they just randomly refuse to connect / drop you multiple times a day. As you can expect, it becomes frustrating as fxxk when it doesn't work.

Given the choice, I would just run cat 6 cables all day.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I get that with shaw as well. I had Shaw flash the router modem to make it just a modem and use my own Asus Router. Well never go back to telus its to slow upload and download. Never had a downtime with shaw. Had telus for over 15 yrs and had issues almost every other month,Have had shaw for the last 5 yrs no issues ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Switched to Telus a few years ago and never looked back. Back then, Telus was the better deal for me.

Can't compare the TV because I never had Shaw digital and I don't watch anything other than the news channels these days.

Internet speeds are as advertised, never had an issue with downtime in 4 years of switching over.

Main reason I'm still with them right now is the 10mbps upload speeds with the 50mbps package. When you run things like ownCloud and Plex, faster upload is better. Also, with the 50meg, you get the modem that allows bridging so you can use your own router as well.
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,596 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
I have Telus OptikTV at the house. For me, instead of running ethernet cables all over the house, I opted to go with wireless TV receivers. The PVR box sits right next to the Telus modem/router combo. There is a wireless add-on for wireless receiver to work that also sits next to the Telus modem/router. Then, I have two wireless receiver connected to two different TVs in the house. No mess, no wires. With the wireless receivers, you can control the PVR from any remote. You never have to see the PVR box again.
Pretty sure that's the answer for the OP right there, I have a wired box (wires running down stairs and around rooms for years now) and I just heard about the new wireless receivers... finally!
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #18
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post
I get that with shaw as well. I had Shaw flash the router modem to make it just a modem and use my own Asus Router. Well never go back to telus its to slow upload and download. Never had a downtime with shaw. Had telus for over 15 yrs and had issues almost every other month,Have had shaw for the last 5 yrs no issues ever.
You get faster than the 6 meg upload advertised on their 120meg service? Upload is really all that matters to me, I was perfectly happy with the 25meg down but had them bump it up to 50 to get the 10 meg up.

If Urban Fibre decides to come into homes, I'm making that switch right away... No loyalty here... LOL
Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #19
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8 View Post
its possible to get optik tv without internet. They can't force people to get internet..
yes there will still be a modem/router installed but the internet WILL be restricted. If you try the wifi it will take 10mins to load a page =)
Do you have a source for this besides "I work for Telus".
Just need to get past the bs sales talk so I can get Optik TV only.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Not faster then 6Mbps ( maybe the odd time at 2-3am ), But i see Telus has up to 20Mbps upload available for under $100. Regardless 3-10Mbps for data retrieval when your out and about for your personal/business use is still plenty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
You get faster than the 6 meg upload advertised on their 120meg service? Upload is really all that matters to me, I was perfectly happy with the 25meg down but had them bump it up to 50 to get the 10 meg up.

If Urban Fibre decides to come into homes, I'm making that switch right away... No loyalty here... LOL
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Pretty sure that's the answer for the OP right there, I have a wired box (wires running down stairs and around rooms for years now) and I just heard about the new wireless receivers... finally!
The little TV box my parents are using to watch foreign channels don't have wireless capability, which is the problem. I suppose I could look into it and see if there is a wireless alternative.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #22
GC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Do you have a source for this besides "I work for Telus".
Just need to get past the bs sales talk so I can get Optik TV only.
either bs or mickey mouse sales person. there are alot of seniors that have optik tv no internet
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
$125 ($137 after taxes) for basic cable and internet 30 from Shaw

I get a corporate discount through work for Telus; will definitely be trying them out once Telus finishes their network upgrade in my area in a couple of months.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #24
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
Im switching over from shaw to telus right now actually .

paying like $80 a month for shaw 30 or whatever.. telus 25 right now is $30 a month for first 6 months or 1 year if your a student with no installation/rental fees... $40 for telus 50..

will report back once I get it installed and see how it is. I hated telus about 7+ years ago when I had it.. hopefully its alot better meow
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
The little TV box my parents are using to watch foreign channels don't have wireless capability, which is the problem. I suppose I could look into it and see if there is a wireless alternative.
Oh, I see what you mean. The Chinese TV box connects directly to internet for foreign channels. Basically, do you just need internet access for this box to work?

If you still don't want to run ethernet wires, you want a wireless bridge. It creates a wired connection from a wireless signal. In other words, it adds wireless capability to wired devices.

At my parent's house, I use this to connect their internet phone:
Linksys WES610N 4-Port Dual-Band Wireless-N Bridge

Basically, the setup works like this:
Wireless Router ***wireless*** to Wireless Bridge ---wired--- to Internet Phone.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote