REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Powerline adapters work great as long as both are on the same circuit branch... otherwise they're hit-and-miss.

Shaw has one MAJOR advantage over Telus: 24/7 support. (Bunch of others as well, we've been with Shaw since it was Rogers out here and they've treated us great, but this is a BIG one, especially after my recent frustration needing Telus support after-hours).

Telus prices look great when you sign up, but they lock you into a contract, and the prices go up steeply after the introduction period. Shaw = no contracts. Also, if you have their hardware, all installation services are included.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #27
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,264 Times in 1,967 Posts
I'm not of much help but I saw a picture on the previous page and my childish mind took over

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #28
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Powerline adapters work great as long as both are on the same circuit branch... otherwise they're hit-and-miss.

Shaw has one MAJOR advantage over Telus: 24/7 support. (Bunch of others as well, we've been with Shaw since it was Rogers out here and they've treated us great, but this is a BIG one, especially after my recent frustration needing Telus support after-hours).

Telus prices look great when you sign up, but they lock you into a contract, and the prices go up steeply after the introduction period. Shaw = no contracts. Also, if you have their hardware, all installation services are included.
Telus does have a deal on their internet right now for 50% off their first 6 months (without contract) + $50 credit. Telus internet 25 is $68 regular price while Shaw's internet 30 is $73 I believe? Our old grandfathered Internet 25 is $70 now so Telus is still slightly cheaper.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #29
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeyal View Post
Oh, I see what you mean. The Chinese TV box connects directly to internet for foreign channels. Basically, do you just need internet access for this box to work?

If you still don't want to run ethernet wires, you want a wireless bridge. It creates a wired connection from a wireless signal. In other words, it adds wireless capability to wired devices.

At my parent's house, I use this to connect their internet phone:
Linksys WES610N 4-Port Dual-Band Wireless-N Bridge

Basically, the setup works like this:
Wireless Router ***wireless*** to Wireless Bridge ---wired--- to Internet Phone.
Thanks. This could be really useful. It seems like an alternative to Powerline?

Edit: Just checked price, wow they aren't cheap lol.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:12 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

if you care about latency, wireless is always going to be slower than hardwired lines.

to compound the latency, having a wireless bridge is going to add more

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:54 AM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
strange.....i use a asus gaming router wireless and ping tested it with full bars....it only reported 1 ms .
Old 08-19-2015, 04:01 AM   #32
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Wow you guys suck and outdated.

Telus came out with this
http://static.telus.com/common/cms/f...igital_Box.pdf

Wireless Box BOOM problem solved. All you need is a power cable and the box talks to the main telus router.
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-19-2015, 06:12 AM   #33
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Telus does have a deal on their internet right now for 50% off their first 6 months (without contract) + $50 credit. Telus internet 25 is $68 regular price while Shaw's internet 30 is $73 I believe? Our old grandfathered Internet 25 is $70 now so Telus is still slightly cheaper.
where did you hear/see this? I dont recall the telus rep telling me anything about this.

I get Internet 25 for 30$ for the first year since Im a student but apparently I have to pay full price for the first month then I get a year at $30. which is still cheaper then paying $80 a month with shaw right now
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #34
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
Wow you guys suck and outdated.

Telus came out with this
http://static.telus.com/common/cms/f...igital_Box.pdf

Wireless Box BOOM problem solved. All you need is a power cable and the box talks to the main telus router.
Wow dude. Did you even read the whole thread?
I already suggested this, and OP wanted a different setup for a Chinese TV box.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #35

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
where did you hear/see this? I dont recall the telus rep telling me anything about this.

I get Internet 25 for 30$ for the first year since Im a student but apparently I have to pay full price for the first month then I get a year at $30. which is still cheaper then paying $80 a month with shaw right now
I've been considering about switching to telus as well recently. The deal is on telus website, although $50 credit isn't disclosed.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I've had three Telus salesdroids come to my door now, telling me they're getting fiber in my area and trying to get me to sign up. I thought it might be an idea to try the fiber side-by-side with Shaw, so I called Telus... They checked and said no, there were no plans to have fiber in my area soon.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #37

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Ya, signing up based on the prospect of possibly getting fiber installed is bad lol. Good thing they already have fiber installed in my area.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote