REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #26
RS Lurker, I don't post!

the MK5 GTI is a great car. Just make sure you use the best quality oil in it to help reduce consumption. As a previous poster mentioned, it can eat anywhere from .5-2.5 Litres of oil between oil changes. I always kept a litre in my trunk for long trips.

There are two versions of the MK5 engine. They have different Intake hoses. Mine was pre revision, so the inlet hose cracked all the time, which is where my oil consumption came from... but was always replaced under warranty after the first time I paid because it would always crack right before the 12 month install warranty would expire

I would have got another MK5 after my previous one got totalled... But since I had got such a good deal on the first one (which was in MINT shape), it didn't seem right to be paying the same price for another 4 years later.. So I made the switch.

There something about the GTI I liked better though. Luxurious interior, ultra quiet ride when you aren't pushing it, and just the way a german engineered engine delivers power... Plus, it FEELS and is built like tank. despite being small, you know you're safe in the car. I do miss it.

I highly recommend the MK5 to anyone, just be prepared for the maintenance bill in your first year of ownership... because very few people that sell their VW take good care of it.
Advertisement
Manthro is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #27
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

From working on both the MkIV and MkV cars, I am absolutely convinced that German engineers are either idiots, or sadistic pricks that intentionally design the car to be a royal PITA to service. Case in point -- it took me well over 2 hrs one time change 2 frickin' light bulbs for the rear brake (one side only). I think the same job on my pos Civic literally just meant opening up the trunk, reach in and pull the damn bulb out, replace it, and stuff in back in -- all done in <2 min.

That so true, I need to take out a few pieces of engine trim and the battery box to replace the battery on my MKIV GTi which took me an hour the 1st time and around 30 minutes on the next few times. Replaced the battery on my dads Honda accord once. Took me 5 minutes, to remove the 2 bolts holding it.
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: