REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Buyers Beware! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706374-buyers-beware.html)

dlo 11-19-2015 06:30 PM

Buyers Beware!

Not sure if this is the right subforum to post this thread, my apologies in advance, feel free to move it to the right section

I am creating this thread to educate people on purchasing items secondhand, this may seem like common sense, however I feel like this thread will help other members out and to prevent other members to be scammed or feel ripped off.

MY STORY:
So I decided to purchase a second hand jacket from a fellow revscene member (AutozamAZ-3) for my little brother, AutozamAZ-3 described the item as in "immaculate condition" which means it is in perfect condition, no problems at all. I decided to msg the member, who also posted this on craigslist via text message. We agreed to meet the next day for the purchase, however he calls me 20 minutes later saying that he has another person interested but hes willing to sell it to me because I am closer. Not wanting to lose out on this jacket, I agreed to meet him up to purchase it because I didn't think I found a deal like this anytime soon. We meet up and the jacket was not how it was described, it was quite dirty and I noted that to him, he pretty much said "oh.. my bad". I thought it was only dirty so i decided to give him the cash and go on my way. I ASSUMED that it was only dirty and there wouldn't be anything wrong with it because hes also a fellow rs member and he wouldn't sell me something bad.WRONG, I took it to dry cleaning and as they were looking at it, they pointed out there was small holes in the jacket. I still got it cleaned, and i texted him back letting him know but no response. I have a feeling he does know that this was in poor condition and sold it quickly to get it off his hands.

This could had been prevented if I took time to carefully inspect the item, however I thought a fellow rs member would not do this to me, but I was wrong.

As a note to other members looking to purchase items secondhand, whether its a jacket, engine or whatever on revscene, please check the item carefully just in case. I assumed that the seller would not pull a move like this because hes a fellow rs member, but guess not.

SPARKNOTES:
bought a jacket off a rs member for my little brother
seller described it as "immaculate condition"
rushes me to buy by telling me someone else is interested in it, but he wants to sell it to me because im closer
we meet up and its dirty, i told him and he tells me "oh my bad"
i purchase it, bring it to dry cleaner and they shows me some small holes
i msg him and he does no reply
now Im posting this thread because Im an idiot for assuming he wouldn't pull this move on me, but it is my fault for not checking properly

I know this seems like common sense, but inspect it carefully! Don't assume he won't rip you off just because hes a member of RS also.

tegra7 11-19-2015 06:53 PM

Secondhand clothing :heckno:

CRS 11-19-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegra7 (Post 8700618)
Secondhand clothing :heckno:

There's nothing wrong with secondhand clothing. It's not like it's used underwear you're buying. Besides, all of us are in different areas of our lives and sometimes we don't have the luxury of brand new clothes.

If clothing is maintained well or used a few times, it's basically buying it new and you get to save a few bucks. Remember, even when you buy it from a store, someone else (multiple people, more likely) has tried it on before you. Does that make it used / secondhand to you?

Or even returns that they try to resell, hell, if that isn't secondhand, I don't know what is.

Inaii 11-19-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8700620)
There's nothing wrong with secondhand clothing. It's not like it's used underwear you're buying. Besides, all of us are in different areas of our lives and sometimes we don't have the luxury of brand new clothes.

If clothing is maintained well or used a few times, it's basically buying it new and you get to save a few bucks. Remember, even when you buy it from a store, someone else (multiple people, more likely) has tried it on before you. Does that make it used / secondhand to you?

Or even returns that they try to resell, hell, if that isn't secondhand, I don't know what is.

And now I never want to buy clothing ever again, thank you :p :lol

Soundy 11-19-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8700620)
It's not like it's used underwear you're buying.

You can get a lot more for those on Craigslist...

tiger_handheld 11-19-2015 07:16 PM

This thread should be stickied on the buy & sell with the title changed include AutoZam.

Hopefully the user will refund your cash - then again, probably not.

Spoon 11-19-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlo (Post 8700613)
... he calls me 20 minutes later saying that he has another person interested but hes willing to sell it to me because I am closer.

Don't do a lot of craigslist/forum type deals anymore. But every time people start pulling that shit, I always give them the opposite response and tell them to just sell it to the other dude. 9 out of 10 times, they're bluffing and will beg you to take it.

If anything, learn this: Never be desperate. And if you're going to keep doing these deals, buy at a price where you won't be peeved about being ripped off. Most of the stuff I bought were computer parts where it's close to impossible to test on the spot. I just make sure the deal's good enough that I won't cry about it. If you can't do that, seriously, just save up to buy new.

dlo 11-19-2015 07:21 PM

not lookin for a refund or anything, I made the mistake of assuming another revscene member would not rip me off. It was my mistake to make a hasty sale because he pressured me, but it is my fault for not checkin the item carefully. I take full responsibility for that, however this thread was created to show other members not to make the same mistakes as me.

sdubfid 11-19-2015 07:37 PM

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70266...its-cheap.html

Wash his car with jacket after you drop it at the beach

SkinnyPupp 11-19-2015 07:44 PM

You had the jacket in your hands right there before giving him money for it... I think buying used clothes is disgusting, but if you're going to do it at least inspect it first.

Acura604 11-19-2015 07:54 PM

Buyers Beware!

seller drives a BMW. ....needs to sell his used smelly clothing to afford gas and maintenance.

Tim Budong 11-19-2015 08:06 PM

i see posts like this from over on facebook who sell shoes all the time

its hilarious actually.

sorry for your loss...

PeanutButter 11-19-2015 08:13 PM

OP, how old are you?

I remember when I first starting buying items online and meeting up with people (15 years old). I was so green, I bought a few things I would definitely not buy now.

Just inspect the item, if you don't feel good about it, just say no thanks. Yeah, you wasted your time, but better than paying for something that's no good.

The more inexperienced you are, the less you tend to inspect the item. Just make sound judgement and don't be pressured to buy something.

I met up with a guy in the summer to pick up a bike for my sister, the pictures looked great and the price was right, I saw the bike and I immediately asked if this was the same bike. I just told the guy that this looks nothing like the picture and I didn't want it. He said, I was wasting his time and he came a long way to meet me. I simply said thanks and left. It was a waste of time, but better me than my sister who might have actually bought the bike.

That being said, it's easier if you have moral support, so next time go with a buddy.

dn53 11-19-2015 08:16 PM

I dont really see a problem buying used clothes, we have a thing called washing /dry cleaning.. like his post mentions, buyer beware. I see his post more of a forewarning than begging for a refund.

jeedee 11-19-2015 09:12 PM

Shouldve been an immediate red flag when you saw it was dirty and he gave the "my bad" excuse.

Deal shouldve ended right there

twitchyzero 11-19-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8700652)
it's easier if you have moral support, so next time go with a buddy.

:alone:

Spoon 11-19-2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeanutButter (Post 8700652)
That being said, it's easier if you have moral support, so next time go with a buddy.

For clothes, bring your Mom. :troll:

ziggyx 11-20-2015 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8700641)
seller drives a BMW. ....needs to sell his used smelly clothing to afford gas and maintenance.

If you look at the last couple of items, it looks like he can't afford pho or mcdonalds either. :lawl:

Razor Ramon HG 11-20-2015 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggyx (Post 8700746)
If you look at the last couple of items, it looks like he can't afford pho or mcdonalds either. :lawl:

:lol H&M tank top? Really? That shit is like $10 brand new and he is reselling it?

Acura604 11-20-2015 06:45 AM

seller has posted over 1000 times on revscene ....yet doesn't have the balls to man up and respond to this thread.

Verdasco 11-20-2015 07:12 AM

ahhh i remember buying and selling used clothes when i was 16 BibleThump

bought some trues from typeRnammer? (Sp?) fast forward almost 10 years later and I buy $10 shirts and not give a shit about clothing anymore :fuckthatshit:

seriously tho, for the young kids, dont waste money on clothes, save it for school or a new/used car :thumbsup:

GLOW 11-20-2015 08:30 AM

since you didn't notice the holes when you handed over the cash, how do you know it wasn't caused by the drycleaner and he wasn't playing innocent pointing it out to you? it couldn't have been totally caked in mud to the point you couldn't see holes could you?

the whole story (no pun intended :troll:) seems unusual.

+1 on cheap clothes. as long as it looks nice i can treat them as disposable. no one spends the time to look at what tag is behind your neck.

jinxcrusader 11-20-2015 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdubfid (Post 8700635)
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70266...its-cheap.html

Wash his car with jacket after you drop it at the beach

Time to call him up to buy something off him and then sudden beat down crew.

ae101 11-20-2015 08:55 AM

i dont see anything wrong with use clothes, i buy used and reps all the time

i make sure i check everything clearly before i hand them the cash, aka like flip everything inside out just to make sure its the quality u want

personally im not going go butt sore over small imperfections (but thats how i am)

Tapioca 11-20-2015 09:01 AM

You usually "buy the seller" as opposed to the product.

I've bought and sold many things on Craigslist over the last several years. If you have a bad feeling about the seller, walk away.