REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curren$y View Post
The excessive speeding ends up being way more than $486 because you pay for the impound storage fees, towing and 3 years dangerous drivers premium. Ends up being close to $2000. I got one in my younger goon days (not nearly as bad, was doing 100 km/h in a BS 60km/h zone)...definitely learned my lesson.
Yep. I got snagged 4 years ago or whatever. In total it was almost 3000 bucks. (My tow was a lot higher cause I was far away from the yard, and because of work I left the car in their lot longer than 7 days).

Like you though seems kinda bullshit, I got trapped in a 100 zone going 148. I won't comment on how that zone is now a 110km/h zone after the speed limit reviews last year. Seems like this kid should get a way harsher penalty than what I did, considering he pretty much doubled how far over the limit I was going...
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #52
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
For 50 km zones, I heard they only give you 3 km/h over the limit. For 70 km zones, they only give 8 km/h over.
They have similar thing in Italy with those goddamn Autovelox boxes. Having to constantly worry that you might momentarily exceed the speed limit when overtaking someone in an unfortunate spot or take an off-ramp a bit too quickly completely kills the driving experience. What's more, they also measure your average speed in regular intervals on highways so you can't just gun it because you know a stretch is clear. Experiencing that stuff really puts things into perspective.
foodtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #53
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
Wait what? So a tow company send a truck and driver to pick up the vehicle and drop it in there yard, where it is stored on there property, and they process the paperwork and release it back to the owner.

How is that bullshit? Why wouldn't the tow company get the money for impound fee, Do they work for free?
It's not bullshit that they get paid for their work, it's bullshit that the majority of the revenue from the driver getting taken off the road is going to a private company that has an RCMP contract. Do the RCMP not have impound yards anywhere?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #54
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
It's not bullshit that they get paid for their work, it's bullshit that the majority of the revenue from the driver getting taken off the road is going to a private company that has an RCMP contract. Do the RCMP not have impound yards anywhere?
it's also bullshit that they can impound your car at roadside without a judge.

in effect you are guilty before proven innocent (in a court of law), since you must pay the towing/impound fees regardless of if you dispute your ticket and win
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #55
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,664 Times in 334 Posts
Well I mean shit, if radar says 145 and the speed limits 100, it's a pretty clear cut case.

noransx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1freak
[24-01, 14:19] mk1freak lots of bdays this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kross9
[22-05, 23:37] norans also got a pretty douchey white hipster haircut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_BOY
[27-10, 22:25] can't spell ice without ie
2014 Chevrolet Volt - Poo brown ft panel gaps - currently at 588mpg
2006 Honda CBR600RR "LaF'Honda" pronounced la-fawn-duh
Noran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
ya but police are for enforcement and not punishment.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #57
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
ya but police are for enforcement and not punishment.
Revenue Collectors.
Curren$y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #58
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
it's also bullshit that they can impound your car at roadside without a judge.

in effect you are guilty before proven innocent (in a court of law), since you must pay the towing/impound fees regardless of if you dispute your ticket and win
Exact same thing happens if you're parked illegally... strange how people get so worked up over these consequences when it's something that can actually injure and kill people, but not when the worst effect is a traffic annoyance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #59

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noran View Post
Well I mean shit, if radar says 145 and the speed limits 100, it's a pretty clear cut case.
145km/h is completely safe to do on highways that are relatively straight.
(According to Solomon's Curve, going 145km/h is safer than going 100km/h when everybody else is going 130km/h)
If you drive new cars nowadays...145km/h feels just like 100km/h

Most people settle at 135km/h range on Autobahn on slower lane as well.

CBC Reported that 130km/h limit is common in Europe: Three in 4 drivers travel above the speed limit on Canada's busiest highway - Technology & Science - CBC News

In BC, Coquihalla Highway for example, the 85th percentile is 127km/h.
So the speed limit should be approx. 130km/h.

The 100km/h speed limit in BC that you're talking about has nothing to do with road engineering and safety.
If you go 145km/h on 100km/h zone, you will get your car impounded, for going 15km/h faster than the flow of traffic, just because the "speed limit" happen to be 100km/h but safe speed/flow of traffic is not.

Those 100km/h road may be raised to 120km/h perhaps 130km/h in the future too for safety reasons. When that happens, you would wonder WTF was that impound all about.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-11-2016, 01:52 AM   #60
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodtruck View Post
They have similar thing in Italy with those goddamn Autovelox boxes. Having to constantly worry that you might momentarily exceed the speed limit when overtaking someone in an unfortunate spot or take an off-ramp a bit too quickly completely kills the driving experience. What's more, they also measure your average speed in regular intervals on highways so you can't just gun it because you know a stretch is clear. Experiencing that stuff really puts things into perspective.
Haha, That happened to me in Florence where I received a ticket (in mail) for doing like 5km/h over. It's basically a scam. I've heard lots of locals know how to dispute the tickets easily but tourists are SOL. Some people choose not to pay but I thought a lousy $150 is not worth the hassle of getting arrested or whatever at a European airport and paid it.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:31 AM   #61
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Driving is a privilege, not a right. If you can not follow the rules associated with driving you simply should not be doing it.
IMO, if you are cough at 200km/h on ANY roads in Canada it should not simply be an immediate road side suspension and some fines. It should be your license GONE and never to return.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #62
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
How do you know a 'majority' of the revenue from comes from drivers getting taken off the road? What about accidents that happen and they tow the vehicles and get paid from icbc, or road side service they provide.

If the province wanted then they could simply start up there own yards if they wanted no? Point is, RCMP job is to enforce the rules, not to store vehicles. It is outsourced to a 3rd party for a reason.
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
How do you know a 'majority' of the revenue from comes from drivers getting taken off the road? What about accidents that happen and they tow the vehicles and get paid from icbc, or road side service they provide.
I may not have worded that very clearly, I mean the majority of the revenue from that one case (ie everything that one person is paying out in regards to that ticket), not the total revenue of the tow company as a whole.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 05-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Every now and then Timpo posts something that makes everyone go, "Wow, a quality Timpo post? What is the world coming to??"

Then he posts something like this...

Quote:
Old 05-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #65
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,818 Times in 2,505 Posts
Quote:
going fast in a straight line, what could possibly go wrong

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #66

Quote:
And flat, and clear of damage, and clear of weather, and where people are expecting you to be coming along at that speed.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
going fast in a straight line, what could possibly go wrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxe_DqAkeAk
People like you are exact reason why police/media/ICBC love to blame on speed rather than behavior.

How many people do you see on the highway driving at 130-145km/h (suggested safest speed is generally 130-135km/h) suddenly flying away like that?
or losing control like that if they're actually paying attention on the road driving?
If you ever do that on the street with heavily modified car like that, it's called street racing.

I'm not saying everyone should be street racing everywhere. Don't get them mixed up.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #68

Quote:
And flat, and clear of damage, and clear of weather, and where people are expecting you to be coming along at that speed.
I'm not saying that you should be driving at that speed in the snow, gravel, heavy traffic, residential area, where people are around, multiple curves, etc.

People will adjust their speed accordingly anyways.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Every now and then Timpo posts something that makes everyone go, "Wow, a quality Timpo post? What is the world coming to??"

Then he posts something like this...

145km/h was just an example since 130-135km/h is generally what perceived to be the safest speed limit.
However driving at 100km/h where flow of traffic is 130km/h is more dangerous than going 145km/h.

The biggest problem is the behavior, not the speed itself and we all know this.
North Americans have this culture of texting, talking on the phone, eating burgers, etc...while driving.
In Germany, people don't do that kind of stuff.

What if you make Coquihalla Highway's speed limitless like Autobahn?
I wonder how many people will still decided to get distracted by other stuff.
(I'm not saying that accident rate will necessarily go down by making limitless speed limit, but my personal speculation is that people's behavior will change and keep their mind on the road more just like in Germany)

The car needs to travel fast in order for it to be useful. The question is, what's the safest speed that less accidents would occur?
Because if they actually want to make 0 traffic death in BC, they can just set the speed limit of 5km/h in the city and 10km/h on the highway. This way it's pretty guaranteed that traffic death will become a thing of past.
But in reality, we need to allow cars to travel fast enough to be realistically useful. If 130km/h limit is safer than 100km/h limit on some highways, they should just do it. Same as Marine Drive, if 80km/h limit is safer than 50km/h limit, they should just do it.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #70

Quote:
I'm not saying that you should be driving at that speed in the snow, gravel, heavy traffic, residential area, where people are around, multiple curves, etc.

People will adjust their speed accordingly anyways.
Well if you get a ticket, somebody was around.

Quote:
Because if they actually want to make 0 traffic death in BC, they can just set the speed limit of 5km/h in the city and 10km/h on the highway. This way it's pretty guaranteed that traffic death will become a thing of past.
Until somebody dies because traffic was too slow and they couldn't get help fast enough, then people will be crying out for speed increases.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #71

Quote:
The biggest problem is the behavior, not the speed itself and we all know this.
North Americans have this culture of texting, talking on the phone, eating burgers, etc...while driving.
In Germany, people don't do that kind of stuff.

What if you make Coquihalla Highway's speed limitless like Autobahn?
I wonder how many people will still decided to get distracted by other stuff.
(I'm not saying that accident rate will necessarily go down by making limitless speed limit, but my personal speculation is that people's behavior will change and keep their mind on the road more just like in Germany)
Perhaps you missed this before - after all, it's only mentioned EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. this topic comes up - but it's a fuckuvalot harder to get your license in those countries. I'm fine sharing the Coq with guys doing 160 on a regular basis... just as soon as BCDLs aren't handed out in a Cracker Jack box.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #72

^ it's also harder to keep your car road legal. The German inspections are extremely strict, I'm guessing a lot of Canadian cars wouldn't come close to passing a German inspection. That still doesn't make them perfectly safe though, there are some pretty big pile ups on the autobahns.

Then there's the matter of everybody adjusting to expecting to see cars coming up at high rates of speed, so people don't pull out without looking like they already do. It's bad enough having it happen when you're going 20 km/h faster than someone, it'd be a lot worse with a bigger differential.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #73

Quote:
^ it's also harder to keep your car road legal. The German inspections are extremely strict, I'm guessing a lot of Canadian cars wouldn't come close to passing a German inspection. That still doesn't make them perfectly safe though, there are some pretty big pile ups on the autobahns.
Can you imagine the crying and wringing of hands on revscene.de over illegal car mods??
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 PM   #74

Quote:

Then there's the matter of everybody adjusting to expecting to see cars coming up at high rates of speed, so people don't pull out without looking like they already do. It's bad enough having it happen when you're going 20 km/h faster than someone, it'd be a lot worse with a bigger differential.
I don't know about Germany's vehicle inspection, but I know in Japan they have government inspection called "SHAKEN".
The reason why so many JDM cars in Canada suck is because those cars failed Japanese government's inspection and lost the Certificate of Roadworthiness.
Needless to say, those cars are much cheaper for importers' to buy.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #75

I wonder if the speed of traffic flow slowed down after the introduction of 7 day impound for excessive speeding. I bet it made no difference.

As "Speed Kills Your Pocketbook" was briefly mentioning, police officers seem to have problem understanding and differentiating the difference between "daily commuters" and "street racers/DUI drivers"

They legitimately think that writing lots of ticket to daily commuters that are following flow of traffic (or maybe slightly faster) will prevent street racing and DUI, or some stupid teenagers doing stunt driving on the road. As so many people have been saying, it's not speed that kills, it's the behavior.

Those daily commuters have nothing to do with street racers or DUI drivers.

This post FAILED by: