REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-21-2003, 05:24 PM   #51
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
RIP Rider
Advertisement
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #52
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I know I'm so many years late, but...

She was my cousin. I didn't see her often, but I idolized her. I was actually only six years old at the time of her death- she died barely weeks after my birthday.

In fact, after the party, she came by and I got to hang out with just her. I only remember her sitting there and smiling at me.

When she died, I didn't really understand what was happening. But now... It hurts to know I, of all people, didn't get to bond with her, get to know her.

I'll always miss her, I think about her, even if I can't remember much.

And I don't blame the driver. Sure, he ended my cousin's life. Sure, She's not coming back. But, that must have been horrific for him, too. Knowing you KILLED somebody...? He's not the one to be pitied, but he's not to be yelled at either.

I just wanted to say RIP Janelle, I wish I got to know you, and... I can't wait to see you again someday...! (great, now I'm crying...)
Cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #53
Forum Patroller

RIP.

Ride safe guys and gals.

-ed
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #54
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
RIP
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #55
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin View Post
I know I'm so many years late, but...

She was my cousin. I didn't see her often, but I idolized her. I was actually only six years old at the time of her death- she died barely weeks after my birthday.

In fact, after the party, she came by and I got to hang out with just her. I only remember her sitting there and smiling at me.

When she died, I didn't really understand what was happening. But now... It hurts to know I, of all people, didn't get to bond with her, get to know her.

I'll always miss her, I think about her, even if I can't remember much.

And I don't blame the driver. Sure, he ended my cousin's life. Sure, She's not coming back. But, that must have been horrific for him, too. Knowing you KILLED somebody...? He's not the one to be pitied, but he's not to be yelled at either.

I just wanted to say RIP Janelle, I wish I got to know you, and... I can't wait to see you again someday...! (great, now I'm crying...)
Gotten to know her as we worked at Milestone's in Richmond together. I'll never forget her. One of the most down-to-earth kind of girl you'll ever know.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
People don't see motorcycles.

Experienced drivers will tell you that they usually do not remember the last 3 intersections that they go through... This is a sign that you're reacting automatically to traffic conditions, and are not relying on concious decisions. Normally this is a good thing, If you don't have to think about your move before you make it, then you will have a faster reaction time...
These are all excellent points and I know this is an old thread but I would like to bring forth to everyone's attention the lack of attention towards motorcycles by ICBC. If you look through your ICBC Class 5/7 Road Learner, you will see mention of motorcycle maybe twice at the most. Based on the standards of the ICBC requirements to pass a driver's test, be alert for a motorcycle is simply not one of the key components to pass. Motorcycles are treated more like pedestrians and animals who may from time to time become obstacles to look out for rather than as people who share the road with drivers.

Our Driver's Services programs are simply not equipped well enough with the knowledge and skills needed to prepare drivers as well as riders to share the road. MOST of the Motorcycle Skills/Roads tests are NOT motorcycle riders themselves. They aren't even licensed for a bike themselves. Yet these are the people who are conducting tests and helping set forth guidelines and rules for motorcycle riders and automobiles.

R.I.P. Janelle
Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #57
Banned (ABWS)

First off R.I.P. Janelle

I just want to throw out a reminder to everyone that motorcycles are coming out of hibernation and please, please, please try to be aware of everything around you when you are driving. I know it's easy to get "tunnel vision" when driving and to block out everything that's going on around you especially when in traffic, i've done it, i'm sure we all have. Just remember in any altercation or traffic incident the 4-wheeled 2-ton car is always going to trump the 2-wheeled rider on a 500lbs bike.

"Look twice, save a life"
g_spyder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #58
My homepage has been set to RS

That's all great points above regarding riding safely in the traffic and I can understand that riders asking drivers to be more alert of motorcycles with all the c-lais on the road.

But please, please, please, why do you riders have to swerve, cutting/changing lanes between cars like no tomorrow? What makes you think when there is a long ass traffic jam you can just zoom by all the cars from the curb or the double yellow lines and just cut in the line at the very top?

I respect and am more than willing to share the road with motorcycles but I don't feel like I'm getting the same respect from riders....

P.S.: I know there are a lot of good riders out there and I'm sure most of you on revscene don't ride like that

Unlike some who shall present and loudly proclaim "Have at it master!"
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #59
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

rip
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #60
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joquio View Post
That's all great points above regarding riding safely in the traffic and I can understand that riders asking drivers to be more alert of motorcycles with all the c-lais on the road.

But please, please, please, why do you riders have to swerve, cutting/changing lanes between cars like no tomorrow? What makes you think when there is a long ass traffic jam you can just zoom by all the cars from the curb or the double yellow lines and just cut in the line at the very top?

I respect and am more than willing to share the road with motorcycles but I don't feel like I'm getting the same respect from riders....

P.S.: I know there are a lot of good riders out there and I'm sure most of you on revscene don't ride like that
cuz it's more dangerous if we are hidden by other cars, the one day i decided to NOT drive faster, or cut lanes i almost got smashed by a truck from behind going down knight st to knight bridge... so i am never going to drive slow and hope crappy drivers see me n hope i dun run into a crappy driver that day
Midnitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #61
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnitez View Post
cuz it's more dangerous if we are hidden by other cars, the one day i decided to NOT drive faster, or cut lanes i almost got smashed by a truck from behind going down knight st to knight bridge... so i am never going to drive slow and hope crappy drivers see me n hope i dun run into a crappy driver that day
Well that's just from one bad experience. No one can stop u so go ahead and ride fast. Just don't be one of thoes assholes going 80 in the city cutting ppl off
Posted via RS Mobile
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #62
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
People don't see motorcycles.

if you don't ride in traffic as if EVERY car on the block is aiming for you, you will not make it.

The most common car related motorcycle crash is the car making a left infront of you.

In panic situations, motorcycles riders will almost ALWAYS freeze up like a deer in headlights. What could have been a simple swerve then brake procedure often turns into a nasty t-bone and a fatality.

To ride safe in traffic requires you to almost have a suicidal mindset, all the things would would do to save yourself in a car (survival reactions) are the exact oposite of what you should be doing on a bike... Whoever thought that the worst thing you can do when entering a corner too fast is to get on the brakes when in reality you should be on the gas !

The best life saving tip I could ever give 1 rider to another ? Keep 2 fingers on your front brake lever at all times. It will cut your panic stopping distance in 1/2.
Words to live by as a rider.

You must forsee what drivers do, pretend they are all stupid and no one can see you. Never ride in blind spots, get out of them asap either slow down or speed up.

Look ahead, far ahead, you can better forsee what a driver will do by observing their behaviour for a longer period of time.

I have two fingers on the brake at all times as well. If you ride and you use all four fingers, start using two. When you panic you'll grab the brake with all 4 fingers and you won't be able to feather the brake as you could with two.

Test the limitations on your bike safely prior to riding on the streets, for example, how much brake you can apply to stop as fast as you can. I did this prior to every season, and practiced a lot. When you need to use it, you'll know what to expect. It also helps visualize how much distance you need to come to a complete stop from XX km/hr.

Don't forgot the rear brake, the weight transfer on a bike is pretty dramatic coupled with a low contact patch in the rear, one can easily lock it up. Practice feathering the rear to get as much braking without locking up. If you have the balls, try locking up the rear at low speed to feel the dynamics of what happens when you do so.

And also, AGATT (all gear all the time). I remember I rode next to a squid on an R6 with shorts, t shirt, bare hands, nike shox, and 2 inches of chicken strips. Its hard to put all the gear on, but come on... its your life you're talking about. At a bare minimum, at least wear gloves and boots. One of the most enjoyable things for me as a rider was putting on my dainese 1 piece suit

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #63
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

There is no way in hell I would ride a motorbike in Vancouver traffic. Not a chance.

You think the idiots out there on bikes are bad? Take a look in the mirror, the idiots in cars are worse because they truly do think they're invincible.

Regardless of what you drive... if you're weaving through traffic... you do deserve what you get.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #64
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
There is no way in hell I would ride a motorbike in Vancouver traffic. Not a chance.
Wimp.

Its perhaps the best driving since you have to be so immersed with what's going on around you.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #65
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
damn...

RIP

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #66
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
that mall seriously needs to either GO completely or have a rehaul of it's traffic flow.

everyday i drive by, everyday I cuss at someone turning into or out of the mall
8 years have passed since that accident... nobody still has done anything about it.
accidents still happen there, hell i've had some close calls myself
Old 05-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #67
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Wimp.

Its perhaps the best driving since you have to be so immersed with what's going on around you.
Bite me Taylor192, it has nothing to do with my sexual preferences.

I'd rather enjoy the ride than sit in fucking traffic. Same with a 5 speed... I prefer to drive a car with one, but if I'm commuting and sitting in stop-and-go traffic all day, what's the fucking point?

But I guess the fucking point is lost on e-thugs like you.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 AM   #68
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Lets compare what you just said, with what you originally said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko
Most of us would think since this is a thread about a bike fatality with numerous posts about riders safety in traffic, that you wouldn't ride cause you're worried about being run over by other drivers. Fair enough, yet my wimp comment stands (and I don't care about your sexual preference, its just a smilie to emphasize your wimpiness, get over it).

Now you backtrack:

Quote:
I'd rather enjoy the ride than sit in fucking traffic. Same with a 5 speed... I prefer to drive a car with one, but if I'm commuting and sitting in stop-and-go traffic all day, what's the fucking point?
Using this logic you'd never buy a sports car as a daily driver cause it would suck to drive it in traffic.
Using this logic I'd should always drive home with my car to get my bike if I want to take it after work for a rip.

Glad I don't use your logic, that would be wimpy and no fun.

Quote:
But I guess the fucking point is lost on e-thugs like you.
The point is lost when you do a terrible job communicating it. I'm no e-thug, I'm just smarter than the average bear and see through your crap.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #69
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Guys, before this pissing match goes too far, I'd suggest taking it to PM's or creating a new thread.

I think the intent of Janelle's cousin bumping this thread was to share her memory and respect for Janelle. Please behave in here.

Kev