REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #51
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Went to Pear Tree last night for the first time. I always drive by it and always near it was there but for some reason never went until yesterday.

The place itself is quite small but it's super clean looking and has a nice feel to it, definitelty a good place to be with the girl.

For Apps we ordered the following

Classic Flamed Gin and 'Cascade' Tomato Soup with Chive Whipped Cream
- It was an interesting soup but wasn't our favorite. Taste wise I would say it was a bit lacking in flavor but the soup itself was kind of trippy because there's this jellow like thing in there and the texture mixed with the soup is kind of interesting. We still enjoyed it but it wasn't mind blowing for sure.

Spot Prawn Cappuccino" Spot Prawn Foam with Dashi Custard and Local Spot Prawns
- This was absolutely tasty. The Spot Prawn Foam was very tasty and it had a decent amount of foam + prawns. Knowing we were sharing they split it into 2 for us already instead of having us pass it back and fourth to each other. A simple thoughtful/common sense gesture that unfortunately most places don't have the brains to do.

Entrees

Braised 'Peace River' Lamb Shank Served boneless with Seared Scallops and Roasted Pear Risotto
- Lamb Shank was cooked to perfection, I barely had to use any effort to cut into it as it was so tender that simply taking a fork to it the meat fell off into pieces easily. The scallops were also cooked perfectly and taste great. This was the first time I've had rissotto because it never appealed to me and although it was good I didn't care for it and it just reminded of congee a bit.

Twice Cooked 'Berkshire' Pork Belly With Spot Prawn and Tomato Cassoulet
- My gf ate this and I just took a bite so can't comment too much on it. The one bite I did have the meat was very tender and tasted pretty good but otherwise I can't comment too much.

Overall we loved our experience a lot and have already made reservations to come back in a couple weeks. We also ordered a desert and I had a glass of Wine, total came to $115 before tip.

Here's a quick overall again below

- Awesome location (Burnaby), so glad it's not in Downtown which means easy to find parking and not a super busy area in general vs Downtown, W Broadway etc
- Decor was very clean and simple, nice small place that is a great setting especially with your gf
- Staff was very friendly and the head chef who was the owner even came by personally to check on tables
- Food overall was quite delightful, very delicate, well executed, and presentation was nice
- Super small menu though there's basically 5 apps, 5 entrees, and 5 deserts. Waitress said the core of those meals usually stay the same but what's included on the side will change from season to season. So for example the lamb shank will always be the same but maybe in another season it won't be scallops but something else with it.

Highly recommended
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #52
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Sushi Kazimato

There's a new sushi restaurant in Port Coquitlam called Sushi Kazimato. The owner is a Japanese sushi chef and a friend of mine. I know it's kind of hard to give an unbiased review but I'll try.

Food: Simply oustanding. Fish were fresh and the green tea is authentic and not that watered down version they call it green tea. I had the assorted sashimi and every bite was excellent. No fishy smell at all. I had salmon, sockeye salmon, squid, yellow fin tuna, Octopus, scallop, tobiko with squid ink, prawn. I also ordered the beef sashimi. It was very good. Everything on the menu is made from scratch including the miso soup whereby the brothe was cooked with kelp for a day before miso is added to give it a deeper richer taste. The spicy tuna spicy sauce took 2 days to prepare. It's not the chili sauce out of the bottle like most places.

Atmosphere: It's a small place and the service is good. The entire staff is Japanese. Keith Kazimato is the owner and he used to work at Zen sushi in \west van. The restaurant is tastefully decorated in espresso brown furniture as you hear jazz playing in the background. The atmosphere is fusion. Very nice contemporary atmosphere.

Service: They're still learning to work together smoother so be patient with the service. The food is worth the wait.

If you guys want high price quality food at a reasonable price come check it out. Tell Keith the guy behind the sushi bar that Nam sent you. He'll treat you right.

Address: #2105 2850 Shaughnessy Street Port Coquitlam, BC 604 474-0022
It's beside the old Canadian Tire which is now closed.

map: https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=...ed=0CAgQ8gEwAA
jakedaniels21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #53
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Came by yesterday but they close Sundays
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #54
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

sorry forgot to mention that they were closed on Sunday. Try again during the week. Leave a review.
jakedaniels21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #55
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
It kinda seems like you are promoting this restaurant more then giving it a review....
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #56
Director of RS Cares

Don't think this needs its own thread..tossed into
"Tried a new place? Post up your review of it!"
Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #57
Need my Daily Fix of RS

So is the place called Sushi Kamizato, or Sushi Kazimato?

How big is it? Thinking of going there this friday
iceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #58
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
At Hyoga Japanese Cuisine. So far, very good. Tempura sauce is home made and very refined. The chicken karaage is subtle and not over the top like most places these days. Miso shiru is outstanding. Base is very flavourful. Had the Saba Shiso Ume roll. Nicely done. I'm not a fan of saba, but it was delicious. Gyoza is also top notch with great sauce.

Udon was also nicely done. Tuna don rice was a little too flavourful for my liking. I asked for plain rice, but I guess server didn't understand what I wanted. I should have just got bowl of rice then maguro. Waiting on okonomiyaki.

Edit: just got the okonomiyaki. Damn good, complete with dancing katsuo. And the desert. Kinako on croissant pudding. WOW!

Solid 8/10.

Okay, 9/10..........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 05-28-2016 at 06:00 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #59
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,525 Times in 1,154 Posts
wanted to try Hyoga today..but closed on Sundays =(
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #60
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
nice, i needed a local sushi place after van ya went full ramen...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #61
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
At Hyoga Japanese Cuisine. So far, very good. Tempura sauce is home made and very refined. The chicken karaage is subtle and not over the top like most places these days. Miso shiru is outstanding. Base is very flavourful. Had the Saba Shiso Ume roll. Nicely done. I'm not a fan of saba, but it was delicious. Gyoza is also top notch with great sauce.

Udon was also nicely done. Tuna don rice was a little too flavourful for my liking. I asked for plain rice, but I guess server didn't understand what I wanted. I should have just got bowl of rice then maguro. Waiting on okonomiyaki.

Edit: just got the okonomiyaki. Damn good, complete with dancing katsuo. And the desert. Kinako on croissant pudding. WOW!

Solid 8/10.

Okay, 9/10..........
How are the portions compared to price? Decent size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #62
MG1

No, it's definitely not Sushi Garden. It's what it's supposed to be. Authentic in every way. Owned by Japanese people, BTW. You pay for good quality. It is a tad bit on the expensive side, but not bad. If anything, just go for the okonomiyaki. Not Osaka style, which is my favourite, but Em Gee Juan approved nonetheless, LOL.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #63

Do you happen to recall if they do take out? The place looks very small and busy (and I live like 5 minutes away lol). I was talking to Raid3n about it earlier and we thought it was pretty inexpensive lol.

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 05-30-2016, 09:09 PM   #64
MG1

Yes, it looked like they did the take out thing. BTW, Japanese food should never be take out, unless bento.

If you're going to take out, might as well do the Sushi Garden thing.......... 'cause you know....... KimLan soy sauce is ichiban with your sushi.........

This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #65

Gotcha, thanks MG

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 06-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #66
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
Do you happen to recall if they do take out? The place looks very small and busy (and I live like 5 minutes away lol). I was talking to Raid3n about it earlier and we thought it was pretty inexpensive lol.
you moved in to ma hood? i haven't heard any braps or biplanes in the area...

yes they do take out. i was there yesterday and saw people taking out. was "packed" the place is small (like 7-8 tables) and i had to wait like 10 min and was told sushi would take 30min longer b/c the kitchen was swamped.

waitress very respectful and apologetic as expected and the udon was 'clean' not over oily or greasy. i enjoyed the soup base. disappointed they didn't serve alcohol though was feelin' a beer but oh well.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #67
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Happy Cafe on Kingsway and Joyce.

3/10

Got there and was given a seat at the center, a long stretch of single seats, like a bar. Nobody brought me the tea or menu for at least 10 minutes. It's understandable cause the lady put me at the very end, blocked by a pillar. But the lady herself should have brought me tea and menu. Wasn't that busy neither.

Ordered "signature" baked pork chop rice, +$1.50 for cold drink. Drink came in a bubble tea form cup, top sealed. Ice nearly melted all the way. Drink was in between hot and warm. So I just paid an extra $1.50 for a cooled hot drink.

The spoon and fork they gave me still has white film on it, as if after washing, they left it to dry. Asked for hot tea and cleaned it myself.

The rice came and I was shocked that they were selling that for $9.75. The taste is up to par for a cafe though, but the portion was not worth $9.75. If anyone had baked pork chop rice at Golden Oscars, $11.50, they give you two - three pork chops. Here, it was literally half a pork chop, cut into five pieces.

Never going back again.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2017, 06:05 AM   #68
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Planning to go to Sushi Kamizato tomorrow..
tuhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #69
Banned By Establishment

Has anyone tried the baked chicken restaurant on main and Marine yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #70
My homepage has been set to RS

Jambo Grill

8/10.

The flavours are good. I shared a platter with a friend and it had the ribs/chicken pieces/sausage thing/fries. Overall, good.

The prime minister has been there.

Only thing is, tad more on the pricier side. Would I go again? Maybe if I felt like splurging a bit.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #71
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
8/10 - Sweet Memories (Leslie Rd, Richmond)

I feel like I would regret this because I'm selfish and I like my little spots, but it's getting popular, so why not.

Sweet Memories is opened by the same owners of Memory Corner, hence the similarity in the name. Even the atmosphere and decor seems similar with the same (creepy) traditional Taiwanese dolls. From what I hear from my Taiwanese friends, it reminds them of home.

Sweet Memories is firstly a dessert place. They serve grass jelly pudding and my all-time favorite, tofu pudding (dofu-fa in canto). Iirc it was about $5.99 for their fairly large bowl (one size) of dessert.

They always serve you with cold wintermelon tea, which is delicious, instead of the normal tea that other places serve you.

As for dinner options, you have the choice of mixed vegetables (I never would have imagined raikon to taste so good), Taiwanese meat sauce on rice, or this other dish on rice. The Taiwanese meat sauce is a decently large serving, that may give you food coma when paired with tofu pudding. Plus, it's only ~ $5

Lately, I've actually been quite disappointed in Richmond's tofu desserts. I've had the traditional hk style tofu place next to Li Do, but the quality has surely deteriorated to garbage. If you have a tofu pudding craving, Sweet Memories will satisfy that. I'd recommend the red bean and barley toppings.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #72
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
^their food is a bit under whelming to be really honest
Drinks, decor, and dessert, top knotch.

been there over 6 times; if you're ballsy try their plum & tomato shaved ice.

I have yet try their strawberry fondo.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #73
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
^their food is a bit under whelming to be really honest
Drinks, decor, and dessert, top knotch.

been there over 6 times; if you're ballsy try their plum & tomato shaved ice.

I have yet try their strawberry fondo.
Yeah the food is mediocre at best. But for $5, it's either that or mcds. LOL

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #74
MG1

WTH happened to this thread?

Anyway, I went to Mogu on the Drive. My children told me about them opening up, so I gave it a go last night.

BTW, they sold their food truck in March. So, if you miss their karaage, they're at a permanent site now. Yay!

For the time being (soft opening, I guess), they are only open from 5:00 pm till 9:00 Tuesday to Thursday and 5:00 - 10:00 other days, except closed on Mondays.

Starting next week, they are hoping to open for lunch.

I did the take out thing, but they do have booths with temporary partitioning and some space in between.

Anyway, it's my favourite place to get fried chicken. High Five, which is now in my Neighbourhood on Hastings near Holdom, is my second favourite place to get some flied clucks. BTW, High Five participate in the AMEX 5 back on 10 bucks thing.

Forgot........... Mogu is across from Choices on the Drive. I give it 8.97/10. It was a little off. Probably working out some kinks. Don't think they've been open that long. I always ask for the sauce on the side. That way, I can test the chicken naked to see how well it is made. Besides, I like to dip dat shit, mang. With the sauce, it's probably 9.5+/10, gulolol.

https://www.facebook.com/EatMogu/

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mogu...vancouver-open

Last edited by MG1; 09-11-2020 at 10:57 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #75
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
people are tired and bored of typingg... everyone is just going to IG shit... long gone are good reviews as people can't read shit.

Fried chicken is good, just not major fan of deep fried and then toss in shitty ass sauce making the chicken soggy. Will give it a try.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: