REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-15-2004, 12:02 AM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by F1
handling can get tricky even with the revised suspension in a 93, gotta watch out for the rear coming loose.
Thats when the LSD is handly
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 07:50 AM   #27
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Best to import from the states, the car I bought was $7500 USD and I can sell it up here in Canada anytime for $17k if I wanted to. Keep in mind, prices of these cars are going up, when I first bought my black MK2 back in 2000, the going price for a turbo was about $12k, now they're up around $15k+. My old black NA, I bought for $10k 4 years ago, earlier in the year, it was written off and ICBC gave me back $15k plus GST for it (they tried to lowball me with bluebook value which is about $7k). With $15k in hand, I spent $7500 USD and imported my 91 SMG MK2 with money left over. $7500-$10000 USD will get you a MINT 91-92 turbo. I wouldn't get another NA again unless it was super cheap so I can hack the top off and turn it into a spyder... the NA's are called MRCamry's for a reason... Things to look out for are the obvious fluid leaks, accident checks, etc... the hidden things to look out for are the transmission, the 91-92's have weak ass synchros and at almost 14 years old, they're just about gone so you're gonna have a hard time getting through 1st-3rd gear. The 93+ came with the LSD and stronger dual cone synchros and don't seem to have this problem. Check for shaft play in the turbo itself, a little oil in there is normal, a lot is not.... Prices vary between the years, 91-92 as mentioned goes for about $15k for a good one. 93's go for upwards of $23k, there's less than 100 of them sold in Canada. 94 and 95 have to be brought in from the US, 94's are rare in the US and the 95's are even more rare. There were approximately 62 cars sold in 95 so expect to pay over $30k for one of those. I believe Lamborghini actually sold more Diablo's that year than the MR2's. That's about all I can think of from the top of my head... Oh yeah, cloth or leather doesn't matter, for some reason, Toyota used some crap leather in these cars that have almost a plastic feel to them and crack over time and you'll probably have to rewrap the seats anyways. 200hp, 200tq stock... 245-260hp is only a boost controller away
Old 07-15-2004, 08:10 AM   #28
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

68style: you live in steveston area? saw that color of MR2 in front of my home few times! NICE CAR!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #29
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by siu-p
68style: you live in steveston area? saw that color of MR2 in front of my home few times! NICE CAR!
I used to live just off of Railway and Williams but I moved about a month ago to the other side of Richmond... I live at Lion's Park now on Alderbridge and Garden City.

Everything littledragon says is right on the money cost-wise. I have to say I like the leather in my car and it hasn't cracked at all and I find it fairly supple -- but then the previous owner took really good care of my car so that's probably why. On these hot days I wish I had cloth though, my back starts to get wet just driving to work and it's not like I'm a guy that sweats profusely haha
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:30 AM   #30
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by impactX
Just get the turbo, better brakes and stronger axle.
Word.
Learn from my first hand experience, buy a turbo if its available in stock trim. I'm looking at spending $7k for a custom turbo, $1.5k for upgraded brakes, $1.5k for clutch and lightened flywheel, and I still get stupid stock internals which won't let me play with boost more than 8psi safely. Just go tubro and pay the extra buck.

You say you won't rip it around. I say you will So just get the turbo! SW20 is a car I always wanted.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Is it a good idea to be giving him an light, overpowered rear wheel drive car as his (most likely) second or third car he's ever driven? Not hating or anything, since I was like that a year or two ago, but it's something to think about man.
ivan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #32
ODC
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I couldn't possibly consider using an MR2 as a daily driver. Its too impractical and expensive for the upkeep.

Quote:
Originally posted by FaT-DrunK
3Gs american? if so.. i can spend a years worth of saving to get it...import

did the math...and i came up to about JSUT below 10Gs a year.. given I get paid $8/hr..which is below minimum wage for what im getting hired for..
if i work at my mom's friends warehouse thing.. ill get paid about.. 9-10/hr..doing the math in lower circumstances, i'll get 8/hr 8 hr weekends, and about..2 hr weekdays

ill have about 900 a month with tax deductions and stuff shaved off already..in a years time, ill have about.. 10Gs? with summer full time hours included, ill have.. 13Gs or so.. tahts 5gs left for the car.. i use my parents car for a bit, and ill have enough for a pretty good mileaged 18G MR2 Turbo..

now.. if i do nightshifts, ill get around double.. so.. 17Gs with nightshift summer.. i can get my car!!

i dunno how much insurance is.. but im gonna say, its about 3 Gs for insurance, and 2gs for gas, thats 5gs a year to keep it on the road..

year 2, i can fix the car up, replace EVERYTHING, and have about 3Gs left for rims or something.. given, i change EVERY part.. turbo, everything that might break on me..

year 3, i can get my car's exterior finished, new paint, tires, rims, suspension....kitted.. basic exterior mods finished..

now.. i need a job to get me started.. cause i gotta wait till January, when they're hiring again

EDIT: ill be done with my car by the time im 21..
Wow, look at how easy it is throw around 'G's. Couple G's here, couple G's there.

I'd seriously rethink all that planning cause after 3 years you're gonna be a broke ass kid that has a car that's half done, with no money to insure or pay for gas.

Last edited by ODC; 07-15-2004 at 01:36 PM.
ODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:41 PM   #33
RS Veteran

^
On reply to _. (o.O) ._ and ODC's comment - I have to totally agree and support what you said.

Its so true. I still regret buying my car. I've poured so much money and time into it. In the end, it's just too expensive. (It did teach me a lot about responsibility and other things too.)

And as a daily driver? Doesn't quite work there. Maybe a turbocharged MKII would be better but for me, a supercharged model hitting up 10psi of boost isn't so great.

Like I said, I only drive it on the weekends and the odd occasian here and there. I have a beater Toyota Cressida to get me to and from work/school/shopping etc.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-15-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #34
all work and no play

Man, this guy's budget of working full time at 8 bucks an hour just to barely cover expenses on a car he can't afford scares me.

Why all the hate on small two-seaters anyway? They make great daily drivers, fuck driving your friends around.

It's not like they drive me around now anyway.
fuzebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:03 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

still considering this car, but im most likely not gonna use it as a daily driver.

I will, however, consider what all of you have said in this thread, and thanks bcrdukes for that PM. I don't wanna be another asian guy in a honda, and this car seems..right, for me.

I'll take into consideration what you guys have said before buying the car though..It might change by the time i've saved enough to get it, but yeah..thanks
FaT-DrunK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:11 PM   #36
ODC

Quote:
Originally posted by fuzebox
Man, this guy's budget of working full time at 8 bucks an hour just to barely cover expenses on a car he can't afford scares me.
Kid'll learn eventually after he's dumped 50 thou into a car he's gonna sell in 4 years for 12.

Quote:
Why all the hate on small two-seaters anyway? They make great daily drivers, fuck driving your friends around.
Pain in the ass, that's what.

And he's gonna be driving a highly tweaked mr2. The gas is gonna be plenty painful for a daily.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:17 PM   #37
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Look what you did, Fukamoto!

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:22 PM   #38
RS Veteran

Quote:
....They make great daily drivers, fuck driving your friends around.

I slept in!...plus who gave you a ride to freakin langley..haha...*hug*..happy fuzie?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:27 PM   #39
ODC

Quote:
Originally posted by fukamoto

I slept in!...plus who gave you a ride to freakin langley..haha...*hug*..happy fuzie?
So the rumours are true.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:37 PM   #40
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

with that budget, i dont think he plans to eat or spend money anymore.
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:42 PM   #41
all work and no play

Wtf, I wasn't even talking about Fukamoto

Quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Dirty Chinaman
And he's gonna be driving a highly tweaked mr2. The gas is gonna be plenty painful for a daily.
A couple of turbo upgrades is not "highly tweaked"... The gas mileage isn't that bad, unless your last car was a civic hatch.

Gotta pay to play.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:50 PM   #42

Think about this...

You're going to work 2 jobs, while going to post-secondary, to spend nearly 18 thousand dollars on a car that is over 10 years old
Old 07-15-2004, 02:53 PM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

im gonna work for a year, THEN goto post secondary..
FaT-DrunK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #44
RS Veteran

I'd buy a beater for my first car man. EG Civics are going for like $6k. And an EG is a pimp car.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #45
RS Veteran

^

The ladies love it. Its faster than an MR2 (mine anyways)

Old 07-15-2004, 03:01 PM   #46

Is that so?

Then is this car worth so much to you that you're willing to waste a year of your life to work for?

ed - if so, then by all means, go for it.

Last edited by ivan_; 07-15-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:03 PM   #47
all work and no play

Or you could take out a fat loan, buy a new car, trade that in for something older + cash for mods, sell that, buy something even older + more mods, blow that up, and be left with nothing to show after 4 years.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:03 PM   #48
RS Veteran

Why not boost an EG? Or even put a B16a engine in there...after all its said and done, it could be less than $11k for everything and you'll have a fast car.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:04 PM   #49
RS Veteran

^
Lots of blower mods for the EG6 from superchargers to turbos. Lots of tuning options.

Tuning options for an MR2? Be ready to pull money out of your arse.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:40 PM   #50
ODC

Quote:
Wtf, I wasn't even talking about Fukamoto

A couple of turbo upgrades is not "highly tweaked"... The gas mileage isn't that bad, unless your last car was a civic hatch.

Gotta pay to play.
I can see a 250hp MR2 getting 17mpg on 94octane.

Thats about 50 bucks every two weeks, you think a guy working minimum can afford 100 bucks on gas per month ?

Besides, if i wanted a fast two seater, I'd buy a bike ...

Oh wait, I am