REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
nope, CEL = insta fail.
Advertisement
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #27
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post
Car runs perfectly fine while it's on, has been for a few months..
It may run, but not efficiently.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #28
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Dammit...Mine is due this month, I have a Check Engine light on and was told it was an 02 sensor, but haven't had the funds to do it yet...

Does anyone know if they will let me take the test, or could possibly pass, with that light on? Car runs perfectly fine while it's on, has been for a few months..

wont let you take test with engine light on. will straight up refuse you
slick724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #29
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
nope, CEL = insta fail.
Wrong. In the rare instance that the cel is on but no codes are stored then it'll pass
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Wrong. In the rare instance that the cel is on but no codes are stored then it'll pass
Posted via RS Mobile
unless you have obd0 or obd1 you can just pull the light, obd2 requires you plug the vehicle in

obd1 ftw!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #31
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick724 View Post
wont let you take test with engine light on. will straight up refuse you
Ah fuck...well, I suppose I might as well give it a shot, if they refuse then I won't be paying, and I'll fix the shit.
Seems to run as efficiently as before.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #32
RS Veteran

Quote:
Seems to run as efficiently as before.
Your ECU is running in a safe mode.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 11-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #33
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Still, don't waste your time running thru aircare with a CEL that you have no idea why its on.
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #34
RS Lurker, I don't post!

idle problem /aircare fail

hi i got a 1999 z24 2.4 cavalier that just failed aircare because of iac check engine code my
problem is i replaced the iac and the iat and checked for vacume leaks and at the same time i got a brutal idle problem and the idle problem is gone when i remove the air intake resonator. so my question is will the check engine light and idle problem be gone if i directly connect my air intake to my engine and if i removed the resonator would i fail aircare the next time i go in
born_race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #35
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Recently took my car in and failed because of high idle HC, but the test result has a perfectly straight line. I may have run in to the maximum detection level of AirCare's instruments.

Does anybody know what the upper detection limit on the AirCare test instrument is for hydrocarbons?
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #36
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
^ It'll state the max allowable on the report. The detection limit that I think you're likely referring to is 2000ppm
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #37
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Vehicles in a 1999 year OBD2 system. In the past they have just plugged it in and passed it.

This year the day I got my renewal notice, the muffler rusted out. So at this point there is a hole between the muffler and the rest of the exhaust, it sounds like crap. However all the emissions equipment would still be working.

Anyone had something similar and still have it pass? Just trying to figure out if I’m going to have to spend the money to fix it or get a new exhaust before I get it tested. I’m hoping as they are just scanning it, they may pass it, but I’m worried about the “Exhaust expelling past the bumper” section.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #38
RS Veteran

In my experience, for any vehicle that qualifies for the OBD test, they simply take a peek under the car to see if the catalytic converters are intact then perform the OBD test. Unless your muffler's problem are both audibly and visibly obvious, it may pose a problem for you. YMMV. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #39
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
In my experience, for any vehicle that qualifies for the OBD test, they simply take a peek under the car to see if the catalytic converters are intact then perform the OBD test. Unless your muffler's problem are both audibly and visibly obvious, it may pose a problem for you. YMMV. Good luck!
For anyone who has the same problem in the next few months, I passed no problem. And you can both see the holes and hear, its pretty bad. Not sure if it actually doesn't matter, or if the staff just doesn't care anymore lol.

So glad aircare is just about over, a little worried about what they will replace it with.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #40
RS Veteran

Win!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #41
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
For anyone who has the same problem in the next few months, I passed no problem. And you can both see the holes and hear, its pretty bad. Not sure if it actually doesn't matter, or if the staff just doesn't care anymore lol.
I concur, I aircared my volvo with an audible leaking exhaust, they tried hard to pass it in the idle test with the leak(for about 10mins). They ended up rejecting it, and refunded my money, and recommended I get some aluminum tape and patch the holes, so that what I did, and it passed with flying colours. This was at the Vancouver south location.

and even if you fail, you can still buy the 3 month pass and have insurance till over the dec 31st deadline. you can't loose
Zoomy is offline   Reply With Quote