REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Good place to take drivers test? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/233400-good-place-take-drivers-test.html)

Dietrich 09-07-2004 12:26 PM

Good place to take drivers test?

I was curious to find out if any of you could recommend a good place to take a driving test, and by good I mean an area that isn't too crazy and a motor vehicle branch that has nice instructors/testers who won't crucify you for not doing things perfect and that can understand the stress and maybe some leadway.

I have heard that Langley has some rather unfair testers and it is hard to pass there, but I have also heard that Chilliwack is quite easy. But I have been to parts of Chilliwack and some of that area is extremely busy, as so is the Abbotsford vehicle branch area.

Suggestions and experiances would be wonderful, may I also mention that I have a manual transmission car and I knonw some testers can be quite picky about that.. and I wish not to drive any other car because I know mine best. Thank-you in advance.

Jermyzy 09-07-2004 01:25 PM

richmond was pretty easy

jlenko 09-07-2004 01:33 PM

If you know how to drive properly, then it won't be an issue.

No matter where you go, you might get a dickhead. I lived on the North Shore when I got my license... I passed fine, but I had tons of experience behind the wheel.

Just don't forget to stop before the sidewalk and check for pedestrians :) I forgot that and lost 5 points :(

...j

jnesss 09-07-2004 02:33 PM

burnaby's tricky. i took all my tests there. i think i could've failed my class 5 there cause i didn't see the 30zone right by moscrop / willingdon, but my instructor was cool about it.

it's whether or not the routes are easy / more difficult but rather how well you know the area cause some parts can be pretty tricky. just practice a bit in the area first.

overall i think if they feel that you're a safe driver, they'll pass you, so don't be nervous.. just talk to em and yah.

Djiban 09-07-2004 02:37 PM

Coquitlam is pretty easy....My instructor was pretty nice too, it was dennis i think, tall with grey hair. I heard the fat lady is a bitch so try to avoid her if you go there

!LittleDragon 09-07-2004 02:48 PM

Go to any testing location, wait in the parking lot... when someone's coming out to take the test, follow them and copy everything they do exactly, remember the route and keep practicing it. Might want to follow a few different instructors as they may take different routes. That's how I passed my test, 5 demerits cuz I stopped to far past a stop sign.

Bobby Digital 09-07-2004 02:52 PM

to see any difference you'd have to go to like Hope or something, pretend you live there then in a couple months get ur address changed to your real address...

Other than that, the whole lower mainland through till abbotsford is probably all the same.

JN06300T 09-07-2004 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jlenko

No matter where you go, you might get a dickhead. I lived on the North Shore when I got my license... I passed fine, but I had tons of experience behind the wheel.

Just don't forget to stop before the sidewalk and check for pedestrians :) I forgot that and lost 5 points :(

...j

agreed. if you can drive, then locations wouldnt even matter.

i took both my class 7 and 5 in surrey(from what i heard was one of the hardest places to pass??) and passed both on the first try. was quite confused to waht my friends and other people were saying.

first time out i got a lady, pretty strict. was also very hard for me cuz it was my first test. class 5 was even easier than the 7, just spoke to the instuctor and drove a bit more cautiosly that normal.

fliptuner 09-07-2004 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jlenko

w3rd.

To add, after you pass the test in Abby, what are you going to do? Only drive in that neighborhood? What's the point of taking an "easy test" if passing a proper one benefits everyone on the road, including yourself?

What I'm saying is, if you cheat the test, you cheat yourself and put all of us at risk.

I took my test near Broadway and Commercial, back in the day - by far, the hardest place to take a road test. 2 dimerits for not having my hand at 12 o'clock while doing a straight backup, that's it.

Dietrich 09-07-2004 06:03 PM

I thank you all for your responses and input. I also rather thought that since there are basic rules of the road that it should be the same every where but I thought I should check incase some areas have rather anal testers, as well some areas may be differant because despite there being a large number of bad drivers on the road I had hoped a more calm area would be a bit easier since it would hopefully have less traffic and thus a lesser chance of some one else interfering with the test.

keitaro 09-07-2004 09:54 PM

i think richmond is the easiest, while point grey is the hardest

Ch28 09-16-2004 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by keitaro
i think richmond is the easiest, while point grey is the hardest
Actually I took my N road test in Point Grey and I found it quite easy.

Trueno-AE86 09-18-2004 07:59 PM

if u like to drive or want to drive! every where is easy! IMO

kevin7352 06-20-2010 09:40 PM

any tips for the test?

Fafine 06-20-2010 10:00 PM

going 60 or 65km is okay when theres other cars beside you. if you need to pass someone you can go up to 70km but no more. if you see someone jay walking or at the pedestrian cross walk, you have to honk, so they acknowledge you and then one way or another motion them to cross with your hand. if you're on the right lane and theres a person on his bicycle, try to pass them because they'll slow you down. its okay to turn right on red lights as long as its safe, no need to stop. theres more but if you do the steps above you should pass

TOPEC 06-20-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin7352 (Post 6999389)
any tips for the test?

if the examiner tells u to turn off of a main street into a smaller side street, it's a good bet that there will be a school zone or park near by, and in my case (richmond) the yellow sign was pretty dam hidden, but lucky i got a glimpse of it just as i drove by so i slowed down in time.

oh and also the time of the day is really really important, my N road test was at 10am and the streets were pretty clear, my class 5 road test was at 1pm on a friday and it "wasn't" bad, but every left turn i had to make id encountered a hugh truck turning left also which blocks my view.

CP.AR 06-20-2010 11:20 PM

I took my test in Richmond. Having lived in richmond for pretty much all my life, I knew where all the school zones, hidden crosswalks etc... were. It also helped that my exam route was right in the area of my grandparents' home, which I visited on a VERY regular basis.

Oh yeah, if it makes any difference, Richmond streets are generally much wider and of course - no hills

Class 5 was a breeze for me, the N was a bit more difficult (they are more anal about the 360 checks and stuff on the N, and more on "smooth operation" with the class 5)

SumAznGuy 06-20-2010 11:24 PM

When you stop at a street and you both ways before going, exaggerate the head turning left and right so the examiner knows you are looking both ways. This is especially important on a class 6 test, but still important in a class 5 test too.

twitchyzero 06-20-2010 11:25 PM

burnaby is definately one of the tricky ones...tons of school zones...lots of hills..i would advise not to go over speed limit as someone else suggested...my dickhead examiner during class 5 called me out on doing 34 in a 30 zone.

- kT 06-20-2010 11:38 PM

i'd say richmond, but i took my test in richmond so i wouldn't really know about anywhere else
given the terrain and etc. in richmond though, it does seem the easiest
pretty sure it's the hardest place to get a road test booking though

like mentioned ^, don't go anymore then 1-2 km over the speed limit, and don't go any less then 1-2km under the speed limit. don't keep up with traffic, cause people are usually going 60 in 50 zones.

like mentioned by a lot of other people though, if you know how to drive/pass a test in general, the area shouldn't be much concern

1exotic 06-20-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafine (Post 6999429)
going 60 or 65km is okay when theres other cars beside you. if you need to pass someone you can go up to 70km but no more. if you see someone jay walking or at the pedestrian cross walk, you have to honk, so they acknowledge you and then one way or another motion them to cross with your hand. if you're on the right lane and theres a person on his bicycle, try to pass them because they'll slow you down. its okay to turn right on red lights as long as its safe, no need to stop. theres more but if you do the steps above you should pass

just pretend you never read this post, Dietrich.

I have no clue how this guy passed his drivers test.

ShadowBun 06-20-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6999533)
burnaby is definately one of the tricky ones...tons of school zones...lots of hills..i would advise not to go over speed limit as someone else suggested...my dickhead examiner during class 5 called me out on doing 34 in a 30 zone.

i did mine just last month.
failed due for driving too slow :rolleyes:

illicitstylz 06-20-2010 11:51 PM

book an exam time on a weekend morning, preferably saturday, so there's less drivers on the road that will affect you.

fishing666 06-20-2010 11:56 PM

i recommend richmond because people are more lenient when u have to change lanes at 50km/hr when everybody else is going 70km/h

monkeywrench 06-21-2010 12:01 AM

The area wouldnt really matter, it really depends on the examiner. Some examiners are down right douchebags. How so? I know of a certain examiner at the Richmond office who is known to force you to make a left turn for example when you're driving in the right lane, exactly at the last second before the light. Things like these occur by chance I guess.

Terrain wise, Richmond will be the easiest. No hills, wide lanes and all, no tricky looking intersections.

It's best to get an instructor to teach you the test roads because they know the routes the examiner will take you during the road test. By then you should memorize all the school zones and what not.

And the only time you're allowed to go 10km/h over the speed limit is when you're going off a highway ramp. Notice the signs will say 50km max but in yellow. You will not be deducted points for this if you were going at 60km/h.

Hope this helps, good luck