REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 09-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

consequences of buying a former grow op

i have been looking to buy a house for 6 months now and finally found the house of my dreams.

unfortunately, it was seized and is now deemed a former grow op.
the house is in good condition as the owners only had it in their posession for a few months.

my real estate agent wants nothing to do with it. my question is to anyone who might have any extra information is,
what are the consequences?

my real estate agent said that there lies a possibility that my house may be seized again if the original owners get convicted and they find out that the house was bought with illegal money.

mortgage and house insurance difficult?

please anyone, give me some clues.
Advertisement
fille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Wow.

Remember that grow ups are places where people meet up and deal. You never know who can come up on your door and ask for some dope. Also, there can be enemies that know the place due to the previous owners. You never know what you are going to encounter.
sputskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:08 PM   #3

well the owners only had the house for under a year before it was busted. i don't believe that it would become that popular of a place.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Just be aware of the mold issues. that is all I will say.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Avoid it, why risk it?
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by fille
well the owners only had the house for under a year before it was busted. i don't believe that it would become that popular of a place.
it's unlikely they just started those activities though. so like RCJS said they could have enemies which could lead to it being targeted by drive by shootings, theft etc.

also as someone else has mentioned look out for mold.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #7

you guys don't understand, this is my dream home. it's gorgeous.

what also bothers me is that the real estate agent is listing it at a comparable price to other houses in the area.

shouldn't these homes be reduced in price?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:47 AM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
My uncle bought a former grow op, the house was completely rebuilt inside.

When I say rebuilt, I mean completely gutted, walls knocked out etc.

The funny thing is that the grow op wasn't inside the house, it was in two underground bunkers in the backyard and ran on diesel generators.

Now that it's all brand new inside it's a pretty fucking nice house. MASSIVE deck over where the bunkers were.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:14 AM   #9

Quote:

what also bothers me is that the real estate agent is listing it at a comparable price to other houses in the area.

No, because if the house has passed inspection, then the house is perfectly fine to live in. As well, you might be able to use the fact that it has been in a grow-op as leverage for you to bargain down to a lower price than the ones in the neighborhood. The agent listed the price equivalent to the surrounding houses, but we all know that housing prices all can be dropped with a little bargaining, so he prob might go down lower than usual. If some areas of the house are rebuilt, then that factors into the price too because its brand new material. Its not the same as a car, a rebuilt car will still lose its value, but not a house. Market determines its value as well. But you already know that.

later.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #10
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

edited

Last edited by SLOW_E36; 07-13-2009 at 11:09 AM.
SLOW_E36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #11

they changed all the pipes i believe but did not do anything to the walls. (the grow op was in the crawl space)

still, i wonder about the risk of the contamination as the house was busted within a few months of its operation.
how many batches can you get out of that? and i thought that nowadays the "growers" put up plastic or something to prevent damage to the house?

i read that somewhere
Old 10-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:

As well, most of the value is in the land, not the home.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally posted by SLOW_E36
The dry walls of your house will be containated with moles and pesticides. Also, the drainage might be clogged. Not the mention, the risk of waking up by a machine gun.

If i were you I would be accouting for atleast $10,000 for good renovations
At least being a very conservative minimum, i'd say easily 30-40 to rebuild the basement if it was damaged.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
they changed all the pipes i believe but did not do anything to the walls. (the grow op was in the crawl space)

still, i wonder about the risk of the contamination as the house was busted within a few months of its operation.
how many batches can you get out of that? and i thought that nowadays the "growers" put up plastic or something to prevent damage to the house?

i read that somewhere
They most likely only got one crop out of that. A few months is still enough time to inflict some damage onto the house, but not a lot. I say if you really like it, get it thoroughly inspected if not already, and go for it. What is the measured area of the crawl space? And as misteranswer said, it is also the value of the land, I don't know how large of a lot that house is sitting on.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #15

the crawl space was about 35x8 feet
so im thinking not that many pots ?

value of the land? well it's a fair size lot, about 7000 sq ft.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #16
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

if this house is the house of ur dreams and it has only been tehre for that long then definitly do not let this get in the way of u buying it. if u r worried then get some carpenter or someone knoledgable about this kinda stuff and gt him to knock a couple walls outta the storagte place and see what they look like. most likely everythign is fine. there was not nearly enough amount of time to cause significant damage.
billboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

You will get better response from people who's job is dealing with real estate everyday. Lots of agents, brokers, and investor post here . Do a search since there was a long thread on there with your topic a few months ago.

Last edited by DJ Milk; 10-02-2006 at 04:47 PM.
DJ Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #18

thanks snoop monky monk... (cute name)
i actually went and read every post related to my issue but there wasn't much that pertained to my situation, unless i missed a post

told you i researched a lot!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #19
I STILL don't get it

Listen to your real estate agent!
dr_squat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #20
Need to Seek Professional Help

my old neighbour used to do grow op before they got busted after probably a year...they sold the house for dirt cheap but a couple years later the house was starting to show its true colours as the foundation to the bottom floor needed to be seriously fixed...so what they ended up doing was selling the house for its land value and it got demolished and rebuilt into a nice 3-story house..
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:03 AM   #21

well that's why im getting the environmental analysis done, it's going to cost about $3000 but i hope it will reveal all of the houses' dirty secrets
Old 10-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #22
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

how much below market value are u getting it for?
winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 AM   #23
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
we spent 10000 on making the house look better, but we took down the walls, pretty much painted everything, the carpets and every freaking thing was replaced.

inspection is for the structure, what you are living in is a house full of dust and dirt and microorganism hiding in ur carpets etc...
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #24

the owner is trying to sell at cost, i tried going down by 20 but also the roof needs to be repaced (wood shingles)
Old 10-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #25
I bringith the lowerballerith

my family owns LARGE log house on a 5 acre property up in Prince George that we rent out. 5-6years ago (maybe more now?) we had some renters that were using the crawl spaces in the walls and the crawl space under the house for a grow-op. luckily they used heavy-duty industrial grade plastic sheeting to protect the areas they were using, but it still cost us THOUSANDS upon thousands of dollars to get the house properly cleaned out and fit for re-renting. we went up a couple summers ago to do some other small renovations, and everything was holding up well.
if it is indeed your "dream home" and you absolutely must have it, do what it takes to get it all cleared up before you move in. try to get as much as you can back through price negotiations, but expect to take a fairly significant hit as well.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: