REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 11-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Lowering my bike

I have an '04 GSXR 600 and I need to lower the bike. What is the best way to do this without throwing off the dynamics of the bike?
I probably need to drop it about an inch.

Thanks!
Advertisement
civic0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

look on ebay,great deals on lowering links.easy to install,wont throw off geometry and will make u a little quicker in the quartermile due to a smaller aerodynamic profile.
jostang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic0501 View Post
I have an '04 GSXR 600 and I need to lower the bike. What is the best way to do this without throwing off the dynamics of the bike?
I probably need to drop it about an inch.

Thanks!
The easiest and cheapest way to lower a bike without altering the suspension is to shave the seat.

The portion of the seat where your inner thighs touch can be taken in as well.

Shaving that and the ass portion of the seat can allow you to easily gain an inch or so.

Vangruver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Pay someone at a shop if you aren't sure exactly how to do it properly, even if you can obtain the parts yourself.

+1 for shaving the seat though.

Last edited by slammer111; 12-23-2008 at 01:21 AM.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Honestly, you shouldn't be messing around with the geometry of the bike. Its not the same as lowering a car. Your bike was engineered and produced with specific geometric measurements. I've read a couple articles about it in various magazines and its highly suggested that you do not use lowering links.

I don't know about you but, if i ever lowered my bike im sure i would bottom out on speed bumps, and begin to have clearance issues when cornering hard, i'm already scraping my stock foot pegs and lowering it an inch may mean scraping the stator cover or the clutch cover.

You also change certain measurements u may not be aware of like trail, and rake angle, which ultimately will affect your ride.

Can you one foot your bike? if u can thats fine. If you want to lower it, then i'ld do what everyone else suggests, shaving the seat.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

shave the seat first then look into the lowering links. The less you lower the bike, the less it will mess up your handling
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
Honestly, you shouldn't be messing around with the geometry of the bike. Its not the same as lowering a car. Your bike was engineered and produced with specific geometric measurements. I've read a couple articles about it in various magazines and its highly suggested that you do not use lowering links.

I don't know about you but, if i ever lowered my bike im sure i would bottom out on speed bumps, and begin to have clearance issues when cornering hard, i'm already scraping my stock foot pegs and lowering it an inch may mean scraping the stator cover or the clutch cover.

You also change certain measurements u may not be aware of like trail, and rake angle, which ultimately will affect your ride.

Can you one foot your bike? if u can thats fine. If you want to lower it, then i'ld do what everyone else suggests, shaving the seat.

what he said...or trade ur gix in for a 250
Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I was told that as long as you lower the front and the rear by the same amount, then its pretty safe. Could be bs tho.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco911
Must be funny when he sees his psychiatrist for treatment of his delusions of grandeur.

Hyde: "See my black Ferrari parked in the handicapped spot outside your office"
Doctor: "Where? All I see is a Yaris."
Hyde: "It's a Ferrari dammit! LoL! Yaris!?"
Doctor: " I'd appreciate if you didn't park in the handicap spots."
Hyde: "LOL! The ticket is only like $500 bucks. In fact, my dad's factory makes the handicapped street signs. If you look closely at vegetable in the wheelchair, it's really a picture of me when I was born."
Doctor: "Here, come a little closer you won't feel this at all."<Injects 20cc of Haloperidol>
Hyde: "I feel woozy...hey, what did you do to my Ferrari? That's a real piece of shit parked in my spot."
Doctor: "Welcome to reality."
Guy_LikeWhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Another +1 for seat shaving.

Lowering at the same rate will affect handling. As the previous poster stated, rake and trail play huge parts of handling. They're calculated by engineers and I wouldn't want to mess with them too much.

Though if you're into ghetto stretched chrome swingarms... then I'm sorry, nothing can help you.
RunningFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

recommended places to get seat shaved?
keeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts
Doesn't the gixxer come with an adjustable link from the factory?
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #12

I have an 06 GSXR 600 and i got the lowering links. The bike handles better! and is easier to throw around because of the slightly lower CoG. They are offered from many companies as upgrades BECAUSE they change the geometry. Lowering the rear of the bike changes the head tube angle of the front forks, which some say improves handling into and out of corners.

If you need to lower the bike solely because you can't solidly reach the floor, shave the seat. if you are tall enough, but just want your bike to look more bad-ass and handle more precisely, lower using links.

As for seat shaving..... take your seat off and take it to any upholstry shop. ( ifyou take it to a bike shop, you risk getting over charged), as they just un-staple the seat cover, take a spinning disc sander and sand the foam down and re-staple the seat cover back on.

http://www.nycparts.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=282

Either way, the solution is cheap.
Slab_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #13

edit: the geometry is made to be adjusted, which is why most , if not, all lowering links come with more than one hole so you can "tune" the geometry.

( i was probably repetitive to the previous posts, i just scrolled up and read them after i posted my reply) lol!
Slab_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Lower CoG? Are you serious? Bike's handle better from suspension adjusting, not lowering. This isn't a high riding 4 wheeled vehicle.

Sportbikes are engineered with the CoG where it is to promote maximum traction and stability at full lean. Tossability is a result of weight, not height.
RunningFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko535 View Post
I have an 06 GSXR 600 and i got the lowering links. The bike handles better! and is easier to throw around because of the slightly lower CoG. They are offered from many companies as upgrades BECAUSE they change the geometry. Lowering the rear of the bike changes the head tube angle of the front forks, which some say improves handling into and out of corners.
Sorry but u really need to get your facts straight, if you're going to give people advice, make sure its RIGHT.

The change in vertical CoG results in handling response, it allows more time and more precision for riders in slow speed scenarios.

Example: those bicyclists that slow down before a light usually stand up (raising the CoG) why? so they can stay on the bike easier. Similar to motocross riders, their position on their bike is alot higher and they are constantly standing, not just because of clearance issues, but to aid in handling in rough terrain, etc. Try doing slow speed maneuvers like a figure 8 on your bike while your tucked behind ur windsheild (close to impossible); its alot easier to do slow speed stuff when your body is higher up. high CoG = more throwability

lower CoG = stability, high CoG = handling

A change in horizontal CoG will change weight distribution on the horizontal plane. Lowering ur bike will increase weight on the rear, which is not what you want when entering high speed corners

Further, lowering links will increase your trail (in your case, a decrease in head tub angle), increase trail angle means less flickablity. does an american chopper (huge trail angle) handle like a sportbike? Uhh... thats a no brainer.

what you mean by better handling in corners is actually: better stability in corners

that isn't even the case because unless you lower the front forks to match the lowering link in the back, you bike is off balance already, you've got more weight in the back, and less turnability, which will ultimately be a shitty experience in a high speed corner.

bottom line, if you lower the back, you MUST lower the front to properly lower your CoG evenly. how do you lower the front? either by cutting the fork tubes, or by lowering the triple clamp (however you might have clearance issues with bottoming out your fender with your upper cowl)

and after you do it properly, remember you've now lowered your CoG vertically, meaning you will have less handling response in corners

and to add ontop of that, when you put in lowering links, your rear shock will be subject to more constant compression affecting spring rate (harder suspension) and also it will be subject to bottoming out easier.

AND your kickstand is not properly proportioned to your bike anymore because you've lowered it, the kickstand will make your bike sit more vertical now which will be subject to easier-to-tip-over-ility

so you'll have to cut your forks and cut your bike stand, just for lowering links, and suffer a less handling capable bike.

but hey if you just ride a bike in a straight line really fast and pussy out in the corners, then by all means go for it. but if you care about handling, corners, and track days like i obviously do, then its clear that i've stated my views on lowering bikes in this post.

so why do some suzukis come with stock links that can be lowered? so you're going to say, why else would they put it there?

suzuki also has adjustable stock rearsets, and the reason? think about sales. it would be easier to sell a bike that had options. bikes don't ever come with options.... thus they have lowering options to help sell their bike gixxers also come with the largest rear cowl storage, headlight flashers, motogp shift pattern all stock. why do you think the gixxer population is so large? R6s are touted as the best off production 600 track bikes, they sit higher up, higher than my cbr. obviously its not because they have a low CoG.....

but in all honesty i will admit that these changes from lowering your bike may only affect your bike to a certain degree, but why make something worse?

just a portion of the information i talked about covered here
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0...wer/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningFree View Post
Tossability is a result of weight, not height.
and CoG (actually the height of the CoG)

feedback

Last edited by Noizz; 01-08-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

^ thanks for the info...I'm thinking of adjusting the ride height back to normal. I only like the bike lowered because I can back up easier...
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #17

^ I can flat foot my cbr, but i feel your pain, a friend of mine has to one foot his gixxer and he can't duck walk his bike to back it up. he has to get off his bike to do it.

i feel you guys, it sucks... but i wouldn't mess up my ride for anything.

feedback
Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 AM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I envy the riders who can flat foot. I one foot my gixxer as well and I can duck walk it, assuming the ground is flat. Any crown will be difficult for me, kinda. It really just depends. I really should shave my seat but I just keep forgetting, even though I can get it done for a case of beer. haha
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote