REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 02-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #26
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally posted by RFlush
Sorry to bring up an old thread but how do you prove your parents are your parents? I only have my passport and birth certificate . I can photocopy my dads HKID and his birth certificate. What else can prove my Dad is my Dad.
If you have a birth certificate that does not state the names of your parents, you can order a Large Certificate that does state their names from here.
Advertisement

Last edited by LaiD; 02-11-2007 at 10:48 PM.
LaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 PM   #27
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by SSR
Oh and I forgot to mention that those people at immigration at the beginning, on the HKID floor, before you even goto the 25th floor, are all jackasses.

You have to argue with them and show them supporting documents of your justification to get the HKID before they EVEN give you the form and enevolope for you to fill, and put in the photocopied documents to send to the 25th floor.

Also when you get the contact number for the immigration officer looking over your case, call him immediately and tell him your situation that you are leaving soon or something. It will speed up the process.

Got my entire process done without picking up my ID, cause I had to leave HK, in 3 weeks. Could've been quicker if I dropped of the photocopies and form on the 25th floor instead of mailing it.
I went to a different building to apply for the id and had a totally different experience (I'm pretty sure I didn't have to go to 25th floor to drop off the forms). People there were "somewhat" helpful, and they gave you the forms you need no questions asked, aside from which forms you require. The only problems were those people that worked at the booths were so picky about everything. It's understandable though, with unbelievable amounts of people lined up at the office each day, you can't help but be picky and bitter at the crowd.

The problem with me is I was born here in Canada, and I only had the travelling visa, so I had to fill in a bunch of forms, photocopy a bunch of my documents (passport info, birth certificate WITH the name of both my parents, parents marriage certificate, passport stamps and a bunch of other documents). They looked at the package I gave them, and said I was missing some documents (by then I was already back in Vancouver) and I faxed it over to them, now I'm sitting here waiting.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #28
HELP ME PLS!!!

yes i know this is an old thread, but i'm heading there in about 2 months to get mine done.

Am I reading SSR's post correctly in that my parents must not have gotten their citizenship in canada at the time of my birth for me to qualify??

Basically, my dad was born in china, been in canada for about 50years. Mom was born in hk been in canada for 30. I was told that it's possible still because my cousins are in the same boat as me and it worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #29
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,807 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
yes i know this is an old thread, but i'm heading there in about 2 months to get mine done.

Am I reading SSR's post correctly in that my parents must not have gotten their citizenship in canada at the time of my birth for me to qualify??

Basically, my dad was born in china, been in canada for about 50years. Mom was born in hk been in canada for 30. I was told that it's possible still because my cousins are in the same boat as me and it worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Yes, you can get it. My wife was in the exact situation (both her parents are from HK, she was born in Canada). She got her permanent residency just by applying at immigration. You'll need things like your parents' birth certificates, marriage licenses, etc.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:12 AM   #30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

If mom and dad are holding HK ID, there should be no problem for you to obtain one as well.
ride98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 AM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!

but they havent been back in ages!!! like i dont even know what kind of id they have. i know they have their hk birth certificate n stuff in the safety deposit box, but i'm not sure what else they'd have.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 AM   #32
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,807 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
but they havent been back in ages!!! like i dont even know what kind of id they have. i know they have their hk birth certificate n stuff in the safety deposit box, but i'm not sure what else they'd have.
That should be enough
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #33
degenerate extraordinaire

What I've noted over the years is that there are basically two types of citizenship, right to land and right to abode.

Right to abode (most people know this as 3 star status) is a permanent citizen without restrictions. Usually this means the person has lived in Hong Kong for 7 years. I've noticed that my relatives that were born in Canada who received their 'right to abode' through their parents must go to Hong Kong at least once every three years. I am pretty sure they also wrote down Chinese/China for the nationality instead of Canadian.

What I received is 'right to land' and what that does is it gives you the ability to stay as long as you want, to work, to go to school, however you do not get the benefits of being a full 3 star HK citizen. During the application process, I wrote Canadian in the nationality slot, and apparently because of this and the fact that I was over 18 when I applied, they did not allow me to register as a 3-star. However, you can still apply for the smartid with the 'right to land'. After getting this status, you must stay in Hong Kong for 7 years before you can apply for the 'right to abode'.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that this is with both parents having been born in Hong Kong. I'm guessing for my situation, being over the age of 18 was a huge reason why I could not get full 3 star citizenship.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.

Last edited by Ikkaku; 01-15-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #34
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

i have a question...so ive been through the whole process of applying for hk citizenship and ive been accepted...so theyre asking me to go back to hk for an interview....do my parents need to be there to verify? or can i just go back alone for the interview?

Last edited by talula; 01-15-2009 at 06:34 PM.
talula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #35
Retired moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Hey this is a little bit off topic but I was born in Macau when the Portuguese was still the active gov't at the time. I left Macau 7 months after I was born during the time when Canada was open to immigrants. I don't have any proof of citizenship of Macau due to the fact that the administration of citizenship was disasterous.

My question is, is there any benefit in applying for a residency for Macau or is it not worth it at all? If it's worth getting, how would I go about doing it? I've tried searching online but there just isn't enough information. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks!
Birth Certificate and proof birth place. I don't know if they changed anything now though. It might be harder for you since you were so young when you moved.

To OP: I didn't get to read the rest of the thread but if both parents are hong kong residents and there is proof that at least one of them is still residing in Hong Kong and you apply for citizenship before the age of 18, then you are entitled FULL citizenship with all benefits. That is with 3 Stars, in which you can work, vote, get a 10 year China visa, etc. The only drawback is that you have to enter Hong Kong at least once in 3 years, or they automatically take away your 3 stars and you will have basic residence.

Hong Kong has a lettering system for identifying what category you fall in. For me it's AWOL (or something) or something which states that I was born outside of Hong Kong, but is a residence of Hong Kong with 3*'s. Other letters will indicate the status of your residency and the reason behind it. It's all very well though out.

RFlush you should be able to obtain a basic HKid as long as both your parents are citizens.

Talula: One of your parents have to be present at the time of the interview, unless they've changed the rule.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #36
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Talula: One of your parents have to be present at the time of the interview, unless they've changed the rule.
even when she's above the age of 21? what if u r like 30 n ur parents are like 70? ur parents stil have to go?
milkmilk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #37
Retired moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmilk101 View Post
even when she's above the age of 21? what if u r like 30 n ur parents are like 70? ur parents stil have to go?
As I've told Talula in private, you are essentially applying for rights to be a citizen through the applicability of your parents. One of them has to be there to sign papers that swear you're telling the truth, etc. from what I remembered at least.

The interview is only approved if they approve of your situation in applying first. I'm pretty sure if you're 30 and your parents are 70, they'll probably deny you unless you have a pretty damn good reason.

If your parents can not physically be there with you, you need someone with POA to go on behalf of one of them.

Btw 21 is not the legal age in HK. It is 18. :P

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #38
I bringith the lowerballerith

For this case.

Anyone with a 3 stars HK citizenship card and born overseas able to apply and get accepted for the SAR Passport and "Return to PRC" Visa?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #39
Retired moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0n View Post
For this case.

Anyone with a 3 stars HK citizenship card and born overseas able to apply and get accepted for the SAR Passport and "Return to PRC" Visa?
We're the same case.

Yes on the visa, I have mine.
Yes on the Passport too but not 100%, then again I was born in Canada and there would be no need to use a SAR Passport when you can enter into more countries without visas with the Canadian one.

I enter and leave HK with HKid, go to China with my China-HK Visa/IDcard, enter Canada with my Passport, other countries with my CDN Passport

China multi-entry visa for HK 3* residents use to have a 10 year validation period, I think they changed it last year and it's now 3 years? When I got mine 5 years ago, it was $400HKD. Not sure anymore. Once you get your visa which will add to your plastic card collection, you can apply for E-Channel at the MongKok China Travel Agency or at the Lo Wu Border. It only takes a few minutes and with E-Channel, you can cross the China border by scanning your fingerprints (like the HKID), it's free.

Sidenote: HK resident (without 3*'s) can apply for a 6 month multi-entry visa i think.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません

Last edited by Girl; 01-22-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #40
Raping Captured Dolphins since 2002 on EZ board days

There is a lot of mixed information, and I am not surprised since every case is different.

For me, I was not able to get my HKID citizenship card. I am able to get a HKID that gives me the Right to Land, not the Right to Abode. So I can live, work, and study in HK with no restrictions, but I cannot work for any government agency, I cannot vote, and I can get deported.

My father is a HK citizen as he was born and raised there. He came to Canada on an overseas British National passport when he came to study in Canada. He was a Canadian national at the time of my birth. They asked for my mother's documents, but she is deceased so I gave them what I could. My mother was not from HK, but that had no effect since they only look at your father side.

Like I said, everyone is a bit different. Here are some resources to help those who are inquiring more information:

http://www.geocities.com/icehairball/
http://www.hketo.ca/sub_pages/press_...ov_23_1998.htm

Also, having 3 stars (***) indicates that the holder of the HK ID card is of the age of 18 years or over and is eligible for a Hong Kong Re-entry Permit. There are many non-chinese citizens who have *** and are essentially stateless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I give a lot of people rim jobs.
My Feedback

Last edited by RFlush; 02-11-2009 at 08:06 PM.
RFlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #41
HELP ME PLS!!!

just submitted mine in a few days ago. now to play the waiting game while i job search
Old 09-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #42

Oh old thread...

I got my HKID RTL a while ago and currently studying in HK right now with it.

Basically, if you are born outside of HK to a parent (most favourable to the father) who was on a BNO passport, then you will get the RTL HKID. Basically, you had the right for ROA but since you did not go back every 3 years, you lost our ROA and default to the RTL because you are NOT considered a chinese citizen as your parents will probably Canadian citizens when you were born.

So if your parents did not come on a BNO passport, you are shit out of luck and wont get a HKID.
Quote:
My Feedback
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
cbc with HKID = no need to retake driving test, it's easier to enter China.

stars on HKID:

0 star: working visa, maids
1 star: immigrants
3 stars: HK citizen after 7 years

NOTE: you CANNOT apply HK SAR passport if you do not have 3 stars.
cbc belong to 1 star...but who cares, you dun need another passport anyway
although there are quite a few countries accept HK sar and not Cdn w/o Visa
Your stars are totally inaccurate.
Quote:
My Feedback
Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #44
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
Your stars are totally inaccurate.
If you're gonna point out that they're inaccurate, it would be helpful if you could offer a new version that is more accurate.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #45
HELP ME PLS!!!

oh they had to have come over on a BNO?? becuase my mom went and and got her hkid roa on the spot. so i thought that she could then sponsor my RTL. that's not the case?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If you're gonna point out that they're inaccurate, it would be helpful if you could offer a new version that is more accurate.
** the holder is of the age of 18 or over and is eligible for a Hong Kong Re-entry Permit.
* the holder is between the age of 11 and 17 and is eligible for a Hong Kong Re-entry Permit.
A the holder has the right of abode in the HKSAR.
C the holder's stay in the HKSAR is limited by the Director of Immigration at the time of his registration of the card.
R the holder has a right to land in the HKSAR.
U the holder's stay in the HKSAR is not limited by the Director of Immigration at the time of his registration of the card.
Z the holder's place of birth reported is Hong Kong.
X the holder's place of birth reported is the Mainland.
W the holder's place of birth reported is the region of Macau.
O the holder's place of birth reported is in other countries.
B the holder's reported date of birth or place of birth has been changed since his/ her first registration.
N the holder's reported name has been changed since his/ her first registration.

---------

Stars have nothing to do with your immigration status, it means if you are from Chinese descent.
Quote:
My Feedback
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #47

Quote:
oh they had to have come over on a BNO?? becuase my mom went and and got her hkid roa on the spot. so i thought that she could then sponsor my RTL. that's not the case?
Where were you born? When you were born, what nationality were your parents? Where were your parents born?
Quote:
My Feedback
Old 09-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #48
HELP ME PLS!!!

ok i just checked with my mom. yes she has a bno passport hahaha

i was born in canda, mom in hk. she has her id already (done on the spot), and mine will take a few months i guess? no idea
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #49

Quote:
ok i just checked with my mom. yes she has a bno passport hahaha

i was born in canda, mom in hk. she has her id already (done on the spot), and mine will take a few months i guess? no idea
If that is the case, then most likely you will be qualified for a HKID RTL. Take note, you will not receive a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card.

Basically, as a child of a BNO passport holder, you WERE given the right of abode but because you have not been back to HK since 1997, for every 3 years, you gave up that right and all those who once had the ROA will be given the RTL (Right to Land).

So you will have a HKID card with no stars (since you are not considered Chinese) but the status of RO. R meaning RTL and O meaning born overseas.

With the RTL you can study, work, and live in HK without restrictions. You cannot work for any government jobs and you can be deported. Just like every other HKID holder (student, dependent, working, PR, etc), you will be given the same public health care discounts.

I also believe after 7 years of living in HK, you can apply for the ROA and become a Permanent Resident, giving you the AO instead of RO, but basically the same. I am not 100% sure about this though.

Your children will not be eligible for HKID cards unless through another scheme.
Quote:
My Feedback
Old 09-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #50
R8
Buy/Sell rules violation; Zero Tolerance

So.. I was just wondering... If I go to school at HKU and I am born in Canada but my dad was born in Shanghai and my mom was born in HK would I be able to sign up for HK citizenship? I know that when I was younger, I had to go back to HK every 3 years in order to get some retarded stamp thing in my passport.. but later, my parents thought it was stupid to waste 1400$ every 3 years just to get a stamp till I was 18 or something... They also told us that either that was the only way, or that I had to live in HK for 7 years? Anyways, can I just go in and apply for HK citizenship and NOT pay international student fees?
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote