REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #576
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
Anyone here into putter collecting?

I recently picked up an old Spalding putter for a $1 at a local thrift store. Knew nothing about it but upon hitting a few putts on the practice greens, I fell in love in with it and like it more than my Odyssey Marxman. Went online to research it and found out that it was designed by a well known designer named TP Mills and is made out of soft carbon steel. The cosmetic condition was in really rough shape so researched more about putter refinishing and here are my results.

Advertisement
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #577
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,735 Times in 812 Posts
nice. i just picked up a Scotty Circa 62 a couple days ago. dings galore! it too is soft carbon steel, but i have'nt decided how to refinish it.sanded the snot out of it, but gently by hand,dry then wet sanding. what is that, just paint? does it feel different now(hitting the ball) with the finish on it? how'd you get the old paint out from the lettering?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #578
rb
Network Admin Team

Yeah, there is a noticeable difference with the finish. I put down about 1 coat of primer, 2 coats of Black Auto paint and about 3 coats of clear. Striking the ball definitely feels softer and I’d even say feels almost as soft my Odyssey XG putter, which has one of the softest inserts.

That’s a sweet putter you have there. I’d love to find an old Scotty like that

Your Scotty might have some sort of plating finish on it so it could be more than paint. Mine had a really old black oxide finish so regular sandpaper, fine steel wool and paint thinner did the trick. To remove the paint fill on the lettering, I used the tip of a screw to really get in there and then removed the rest of the fill with the steel wool. Its pretty soft paint and is the easiest to remove.

As for sanding out the dings, scratches, etc, a Dremel handtool with a sanding bit does wonders for that and is a must have for anyone doing refinishing work. However, you have to be very gentle if you're using higher grit bits as it can shave through that soft carbon steel like butter and really round out an edge.

For your Scotty, check out a process called “Gun Bluing.” Most guys refinishing a Scotty seem to go this route for a finish and it looks pretty good. You heat up the putter and rub on this paste that turns your putter into a shiny dark bluish gun metal.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #579
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,637 Posts
how did you do the white lettering? looks pretty clean
Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #580
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanks. For the white lettering, I used Testors Model Paint (any enamel hobby paint will do). I applied it with a toothpick and removed the excess with paint thinner.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/paint-fill-putters-refinish/
Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #581

here's the Scotty i picked up. the guy apologized to me because he said he retrieved the ball out of the cup with the putter, you know, sticking the toe in the cup and popping out the ball. this caused a lot of damage to the toe and to the top line of the putter. i was forced to radius the toe edges and a couple others with my dremel, and then i sanded the poop out of it with very fine sandpaper, with some moisture. i've almost got the plated mist finish off to the raw carbon steel, then i'll decide what to do to refinish it.personally, i would not paint, as the feel of this putter is like butter.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #582
rb
Network Admin Team

Nice. I wouldn't paint it either. I only painted mine to restore it to the factory look. I think your Scotty looks mighty fine the way it is with the raw carbon steel. Keep us updated..
Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #583

gotta do something. it rusts DURING my rounds.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #584
rb
Network Admin Team

I remember reading about a corrosion stop spray that some guys use for rust proofing their putters and wedges. Came across this thread in the search re: your specific model, http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...-mist-rusting/.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #585

Calgary golfing was pretty damn good! played 3 different courses, Heritage Pointe was the best i played, but i heard of even better. next time! btw, my sticks made it through baggage unscathed.

and here's a pic from the top , by the clubhouse you see at the top of that 1st pic.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #586
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
I'm heading up to play Talking Rock, and Tobiano this weekend. I'll snap a few pics.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #587

haven't played Talking Rock, but played Tobiano. took some great pics there. bring your "A" game to that course.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #588
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Beautiful work on your putter rb. Looks professional. I joined the Scotty Cameron club and can send my putter in for refinishing when its needed. They'll also customize it. Eventually I'll treat myself and send it in. It's too long for me anyhow. Have any of you cut your own putter down? I imagine there's nothing to it.. remove grip, saw, replace grip? noob question I'm sure, just never done it.

Played Mayfair Wednesday. Must say, that course is not worth anywhere near the $ IMO. $350 for me and a couple of clients. It was well kept, but kind of boring. No scenery, just flatlands and lots of water. I would only go back if it were a good deal.

Playing Falls tmrw AM. Entertainment book 2 for 1s FTW. Thats a beautiful course to play for $40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #589
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanks. That Cameron club shop looks like they do some amazing work but damn that must be expensive.

As for trimming clubs, I didn’t cut down this particular putter but I have cut down a club before and it is pretty straight forward. You just need a proper shaft vise clamp setup to hold it securely for a good cut and the re-gripping is extremely easy. Cameron grips are pretty expensive though (around $30/grip)

I played Mayfair last year and was incredibly disappointed. I believe they offer cheap twilight rates but there is absolutely nothing special about that course to justify that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Beautiful work on your putter rb. Looks professional. I joined the Scotty Cameron club and can send my putter in for refinishing when its needed. They'll also customize it. Eventually I'll treat myself and send it in. It's too long for me anyhow. Have any of you cut your own putter down? I imagine there's nothing to it.. remove grip, saw, replace grip? noob question I'm sure, just never done it.

Played Mayfair Wednesday. Must say, that course is not worth anywhere near the $ IMO. $350 for me and a couple of clients. It was well kept, but kind of boring. No scenery, just flatlands and lots of water. I would only go back if it were a good deal.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #590

the new clubhouse @ Riverway is finally taking shape. framing is being done and could actually be finished by spring '11.

Last edited by N.V.M.; 07-25-2010 at 06:06 PM.
N.V.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 AM   #591
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
damn now i wanna golf again, hoping for a nicer set of clubs this X-mas (tried of using my dads handed down clubs that he got for free 30 years ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae101 View Post
damn now i wanna golf again, hoping for a nicer set of clubs this X-mas (tried of using my dads handed down clubs that he got for free 30 years ago)

you should go and try hitting several models/brands and see what works for you first. i don't know what your skill level is but if you get some random set given to you as a gift, chances are they won't be right for you.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #593
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
you should go and try hitting several models/brands and see what works for you first. i don't know what your skill level is but if you get some random set given to you as a gift, chances are they won't be right for you.
i use to play a lot with my dad on the range so it's actually his set that he got as a gift, i just use it more then him now so it looks more like a hand me down thing (just like a car)

but im just wondering wheres a good place to get golf stuff cuz me & my dad has barely replace anything from OUR set besides 3 new wood & putter (i had problems with the old putter & woods)

plus im planning on getting a new set for myself should i consider getting brand new set or just mix & match since i already got my own putter & woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #594

Golf Town in North Van! yay!

http://northvanmike.net/?p=1886
Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #595
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

golf town is having a big clearance sale too.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #596

did i say "yay" to NV Golf Town? oh yeah, yup.

last major of the year this weekend! any predictions?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #597
I don't get it

I'll pick Padriag Harrington to win
long shot pick will be Ricky Barnes
tacobell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #598
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
if anyone wants 40-50% off on golf apparell/shoes/possibly clubs, PM me, and if you want to make the drive out to Maple Ridge (Swan-e-Set) while I'm on shift, I'd be more than happy to meet in the clubhouse to hook up a discount.

I work Tuesday mornings.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #599

i'd have to skip work to save money?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #600
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobell View Post
I'll pick Padriag Harrington to win
long shot pick will be Ricky Barnes
You can still never count out Tiger, despite his recent struggles.
EXV603 is offline   Reply With Quote