REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #1451
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Anyone bought new irons lately ?

Been looking at a few sets, hard to get a feel at the range :/
Like off the shelf? Or just in general.

I picked up some new-to-me Nike irons this season. I still would've gamed my 20yo set as I loved them to death, but I couldn't pass up the extra distance and forgiveness while only giving up a bit in the feel department. Nike forged irons are really underrated, especially their last 1-2 offerings.

There have been a number of great options on the used market. Not the best prices I've seen but fair. Golf hasn't really died down from last year so there's still a good market if you have something nice to sell.

If you're buying brand new- there are a ton of great options at all price points. Great time to buy new irons with the fitting options available to people now. Just hard to get past the crazy MSRPs
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #1452
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Loving my Taylormade M6 irons FWIW. Could probably find a used set for a decent price.

Played Riverview today for the first time in a very long time. Course is in great shape. Greens are very fast. Two official 3 putts, four if putting from the fringe counted. I’m usually good at avoiding 3 putts but man, it was so easy to blow it by that I was too tentative at times. Shot 90.

Played Peace Portal last week and the greens were in the worst shape I’ve ever seen them. Plus they didn’t have enough time between groups so we were waiting at every tee pretty much. One tee box we were waiting for two groups so like 20-30 minutes which sucked. I hit a bunch of fairways and blew my second shot way too many times. Shot 97.

Why do I spend so much time/money to put myself through such agony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #1453
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Anyone here ever get fitted for irons? Was it worth it? I broke the shaft on my 7 iron, and I’m between getting all the irons reshafted from regular to stiff flex vs just getting the 7 iron reshafted and upgrading. They are titleist 712 AP2, still in good condition, but it’s either spend 500+ getting them reshafted and new grips vs spending 1300-1800 on a new set of irons. They are probably only worth $450-$550 bucks.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:12 PM   #1454
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Getting fitted was the best thing for my game. I have a 718 combo set AP2/AP3, that I had shortened 1/4", and 2deg flat (I'm short - 5'9). Many of my "miss hits" before were thin (toe of the club was up). After going 2deg flat I rarely miss hit, never thin.

For reference I'm a 4.5 handicap.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #1455

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
Getting fitted was the best thing for my game. I have a 718 combo set AP2/AP3, that I had shortened 1/4", and 2deg flat (I'm short - 5'9). Many of my "miss hits" before were thin (toe of the club was up). After going 2deg flat I rarely miss hit, never thin.

For reference I'm a 4.5 handicap.
Did you get fitted to existing clubs or did you upgrade along with the fitting?
Old 08-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #1456
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
I upgraded from off the shelf 714 AP2’s
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #1457
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Anyone here ever get fitted for irons? Was it worth it? I broke the shaft on my 7 iron, and I’m between getting all the irons reshafted from regular to stiff flex vs just getting the 7 iron reshafted and upgrading. They are titleist 712 AP2, still in good condition, but it’s either spend 500+ getting them reshafted and new grips vs spending 1300-1800 on a new set of irons. They are probably only worth $450-$550 bucks.
after my above post about irons i got into a fitting at modern golf in richmond

was killer, the guy i had was excellent, spent just over an hour there working on irons. Brought in my old Nike Sumo and gave him some ideas of what i had already tried. I was originally looking at the Big Bertha 21, however after taking a bunch of shots we moved away from the game improvement irons and got into the Apex. Went through about 6-7 different shafts until i had dialed it in on the simulator, basically corrected my slice etc (as far as you can trust the simulator)

it was free so it was definately worth it as they are kind of expecting you to order through them. However, i originally walked in thinking i was gonna go with the big bertha which were about $1200

The apex he ended up fitting me for ended up being $2300 for A to 5 iron, so i told them look, cant really drop that kinda cash right now but i'll definately order through you guys when i do.

They try all the shafts you can get from the factory from the manufacturer, so generally there is no upcharge for varrying shafts.

Oh and a month ago or so when i went to Montreal for a bachelor party we played a round at Le Diable, mont tremblant. It was kind of a hoakey tourist course with fucking bunkers that ran the entire fairway sometimes. They had brand new Sim Max 2 irons and drivers as rentals though. And thankfully i didnt end up going with them lol.. had literally the worst round ive played in the last 15 years

The Sim 2 Max driver though, hot damn! my buddy who is quite good hit a few 330+ the fucking hang time with that driver was like an additional 2 seconds for him, was crazy
Old 08-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #1458
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
We need a revscene golf round/meet soon...has it ever even happened?! Cdizzle and I have played a round or 2 but that's about it from here!
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2021, 09:47 PM   #1459
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Oh so there's a thread for this here.

I picked up golf this year and got really far into it. Driving range 3x a week and a course a week. Very early on, I learned the hard way that 3 buckets a round is way too much and gloves are needed. I also learned the hard way that the 18 hole at Mayfair is way too fucking hard for first time ever on a course and that golf carts are expensive. Coincidentally, the first and last time I've ever been sloshed on a golf course.

Savage creek's range sucks btw. I bought a 10 bucket card and I disliked the range so much that me and my buddy did 5 buckets each just so I didn't have to go back. Jokes on me tho, I play the 15 hole there and I like to warmup before I play.

Country Meadows is pretty decent but I accidentally smoked a goose so I can't go back.

My preferred range is Eaglequest actually. But I've never played the course there, is there a course there?

I'm actually finding it quite difficult to find a points/loyalty card for golf in the Vancouver area. It seems like every course has it's own card or app/partnered with others so now I have like 5 different apps for the same thing.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #1460
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Anyone know when's a good time to pick up beginner sets on sale? Started playing recently with friends with some random clubs and would like to get a set with better grip and more suited for my size.

I've played 7 holes at twilight at langara before it got too dark, played Eaglequest and Sunshine Woods recently. It took nearly half the course for me to get into the groove.
ewong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #1461

Golf town demo days

They usually have a weekend sale at the end of sept October where they all off all the demo sets. Definitely best prices and variety. I’m going to be looking for new irons when it rolls around
Old 09-06-2021, 08:29 PM   #1462

I've checked out two golf towns (Richmond and South Surrey and both seem to lack sets). I'm hoping Coquitlam would be better
Old 09-07-2021, 10:45 PM   #1463
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewong View Post
I've checked out two golf towns (Richmond and South Surrey and both seem to lack sets). I'm hoping Coquitlam would be better
Piece together your own set. I'd start with a driver, 5-PW, a couple wedges and a putter. You can pick up woods and hybrids later as you upgrade towards your full set.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:29 AM   #1464

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewong View Post
Demo days is a week long sale at the end of October. Specifically selling full sets of irons that were demos
Old 09-08-2021, 10:49 PM   #1465

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Piece together your own set. I'd start with a driver, 5-PW, a couple wedges and a putter. You can pick up woods and hybrids later as you upgrade towards your full set.
I bought a set from a guy who sold them off craigslist from his garage over a decade ago. It works and I picked up a putter and pitching wedge but I'm looking to get a more complete and fitted set long term.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #1466

Does anyone here have an instructor/coach they would recommend?
Old 07-16-2022, 12:28 AM   #1467
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Anyone have a good recommendation for regripping clubs?
Old 08-27-2022, 08:08 AM   #1468
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Looks like this thread has never got any traction. Let's try again shall well.

Literally just getting into golf, since my son is taking a liking to it. My level is at the stage of total embarrassment but all good you have to start somewhere. Golf has exploded it seems especially since COVID started or perhaps it's just everyone in my age group is at that age of starting to golf who knows.

Anyone else play?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:43 AM   #1469
Waxin’ Punks

Played Beach Grove last Friday. Playing Nico-Wynd tomorrow.

I haven’t got out much this year at all so I’m squeezing some rounds in before the weather turns and I hang ‘em up until next spring.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-27-2022, 09:55 AM   #1470
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Stupid question as a noob but do driving ranges close at some point during the winter or are they just open year round minus snow days?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2022, 10:06 AM   #1471
Waxin’ Punks

Pretty sure the one out by me is open pretty much all year but can’t say for sure.. try calling your local one and ask?

Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #1472
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Is Eaglequest Coquitlam 18 holes, the 9 hole P&P x 2?

Just got into golf recently, realized instructors are more important than spending money on clubs or grinding range 3 to 4x a week. I just started hitting irons and won't even look at drivers or hybrids till I can swing them. I can get away with 2-5iron shots to the green lol.

How long did it take you guys to hit sub 100 with no gimmes, mulligans, and proper out of bounds rulings.

Also what's the most optimal way to buy a driver? I'm using a hand down Titlist 910 that I plan to hold onto till I can hit it consistently. I bought used ping irons that were extended 1" with a lie that's good for taller players and they made night and day difference vs regular sized clubs

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 08-27-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #1473
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Been playing probably almost 20 years now. Have not gotten better one bit.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2022, 01:30 PM   #1474

Go get fitted

I went to modern golf in Richmond I’m just a hacker but they were great was fitted for irons
Old 08-28-2022, 02:02 PM   #1475
Waxin’ Punks

Rory freaking McIlroy

Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: