REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #51
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
started to use straps for back days, and they do helps, also used then for shrugs, found they work really good on barbell shrugs
Advertisement
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by halogodv2 View Post
started to use straps for back days, and they do helps, also used then for shrugs, found they work really good on barbell shrugs
how so? Ive been doing shrugs for a while and find I cant really feel to much or they dont do much, but I continue to do them. I assume you are talking about those weight lifting back support straps?
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #53
Retired Mod

I believe he is talking about wrist straps. This allows you go hold more weight then your hands can normally grip. I use them when doing 140lb dumbbell shoulder shrugs. Mostly so I don't drop them and have my leg split in 2.
abinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #54
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBite View Post
I believe he is talking about wrist straps. This allows you go hold more weight then your hands can normally grip. I use them when doing 140lb dumbbell shoulder shrugs. Mostly so I don't drop them and have my leg split in 2.
ding ding , ya it is when you do like heavy shrugs so you don't fuck your wrists up, i just use it for rows and shrugs, barbell shrugs it helps, my hands get really sweaty so they come in handy. but don't use them for like arms and chest days lol
Old 03-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #55
Unauthourized Spammer

^lol thers this guy at my gym that uses straps for all his arms exercises. makes him look like an idiot

i use my straps when i deadlift 315lbs or more usually on my last and, depending on the day, my second last sets. my hands also get pretty sweaty and i lose grip so the straps help A LOT. i only use the straps for my last sets though because i want to improve my grip and use my forearms and whatnot.
rickross888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #56
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
I think if you used mixed grip on the deads, there's no use for straps, they just get in the way. ESPECIALLY on the 315+ lifts. Just wipe your hands down before you start your set and really tighten your grip on the bar
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #57
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
I think if you used mixed grip on the deads, there's no use for straps, they just get in the way. ESPECIALLY on the 315+ lifts. Just wipe your hands down before you start your set and really tighten your grip on the bar
ya i do that sometimes, ya i generally just use straps at the end of my work out, cause i am pretty dead by then
Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #58
Unauthourized Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
when i first started out doing deadlifts i used the alternate grip, but then i tried the overhand grip and found that the alternate grip felt weird. so i've been sticking to the overhand grip for quite a bit now, but maybe i'll give the alternate grip a try again on the heavier lifts. i can always go back to using my straps lol
rickross888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #59
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc25 View Post
Just started using Creatine, and maaaan thats good stuff. I pushed at least 5-10lbs more on almost every exercise. That was only with 1 scoop too (the recommended amount for starters). The only things I dont like is it is super sweet, like sugar and water, and also when pushing yourself, you can't feel the burn like when you are not using creatine, but you do feel yourself weaken when you can't lift any more.
Also started protein shakes today, hopefully see some results in the near future.
Its all in your head.

Warning: I'm not trying to knock you for what you think works, I just hate seeing people waste a lot of money on something that provides so little benefit if any at all. That's money that could be better spent on beer, strippers, ...

Unless you're doing some heavy lifting and long daily workouts, you'd get the same benefit from popping a few wakeups (caffeine) before working out. Creatine is supposed to give your muscles energy, yet unless you're doing some serious workouts, you should have enough to provide the energy you need. If you need energy, a much cheaper alternative is caffeine.

Most people new to working out love the results of creatine, since the water retention can be mistaken for putting on bulk. As for protein, most males get enough in their daily diets, anymore just gives us the sh*ts.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #60
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross888 View Post
^lol thers this guy at my gym that uses straps for all his arms exercises. makes him look like an idiot

i use my straps when i deadlift 315lbs or more usually on my last and, depending on the day, my second last sets. my hands also get pretty sweaty and i lose grip so the straps help A LOT. i only use the straps for my last sets though because i want to improve my grip and use my forearms and whatnot.
I use my wrist straps for bicep and shoulder exercises when it comes to the arms. I don't pull them tight, just wrap them around once. 95 percent of the time I am working till failure with heavy weight and my hands cant handle the grip on the metal bars at that weight. It really digs in and causes unnecessary pain. I should just use gloves but I don't want to buy any. If you go to fitness 2000 then I could be that idiot!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #61
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBite View Post
I use my wrist straps for bicep and shoulder exercises when it comes to the arms. I don't pull them tight, just wrap them around once. 95 percent of the time I am working till failure with heavy weight and my hands cant handle the grip on the metal bars at that weight. It really digs in and causes unnecessary pain. I should just use gloves but I don't want to buy any. If you go to fitness 2000 then I could be that idiot!
probably because you are so use to straps, that is why it is not good to use them all the time
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #62
Retired Mod

I never had straps till this year, and have had the same issue since 2005. Never used gloves as well. I have soft girly palms and they have always been like that. They are just really sensitive, especially to rigid objects and heat :/
Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #63
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

whats a good work out routine for a beginner
wanting to get rid of fat but also build muscle slowly
Durrann1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #64
RS Operative (G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrann1984 View Post
well i would do some cardio iff you want to get rid of some fat, but just start with, bench press ( this will do your chest , tris, arms some shoulders also ) for back if you can lift your own body weight i would start with pull ups chin ups, maybe some rows, don't worry about doing curls or anything, your arms will get bigger by doing dips bench and other major exercises
Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #65
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
The best routine is going to be one that keeps you in the gym, most beginners quit for various reasons.

Do you want a routine of exercise equipment? or with free-weights?
- Some people fear the free weights cause you have to workout beside dudes lifting far more than you
- Some people prefer the machines cause they have bad form and the machines help minimize it.

Can you motivate yourself, or do you need motivation?
- My GF teaches a weight lifting cardio class, and finds some people respond better with an instructor leading them

Do you like to run? bike? climb?
- Pick the cardio machine you like best and stick with it. Running burns the most calories, yet its hard on the knees. Bike or elliptical is much preferred.
- I find reading while biking very rewarding, since you're concentrating on reading you lose track of how long you've been biking.

Work your legs if you want weight loss. They are the biggest muscles and will burn the most energy when being worked.

Easiest way to build up your strength is via grip. Strong forearms will allow you to handle more weight, cause likely you'll max out on grip strength prior to anything else. Don't use gloves, and you don't need straps.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #66
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:

When starting off do lighter weights with reps in the 15-20 range for the first month at least. Do 3 sets of each exercise you choose for a muscle and do 3 exercises. The key here is not to work to hard to start off. You WILL get sore but thats good and you simply have to work through the soreness.

You should be working everything you plan on working and getting them used to being worked. After a month or so (working out each muscle at least 1 time every 6 or 7 days) start decreasing the reps and increasing the weight.

The only way to get rid of "fat" is to decrease your caloric intake and increase your cardio output.

Berz out.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #67
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

hey thanks a lot guys
i appreciate it

yeah i just want to cut down.
Durrann1984 is offline   Reply With Quote