REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Buy/Sell rules violation; Zero Tolerance

Toptul

Has anyone ever heard of Toptul? I have been doing some research and they seem to be of high quality, comparable to Snap-On and Mac tools.
Advertisement
Toptul_Honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

never heard of it. who sells it?
wacko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

toptul i think is a german/european company operated out of the USA, fairly new company (2005) .. i wouldnt say that its comparable to snap-on or mac tools, snap-on tools been in this trade for over 30 years, and mac tools about 20 years.

Last edited by GMx2; 08-14-2007 at 09:56 PM.
GMx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I met someone who was going to distribute these so I wanted to get some input from people who may have had experience with it.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

the pricing is decent, i wont be able to tell how good they are until i start using them AND see if they break on me lol toptul_honda, i'll be ur 1st customer if u plan to be a reseller.
GMx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
The other question is whether they have a replacement policy like the others...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
Tech Team Mod

Yes I have heard of the brand. Many people who road race on other forums I browse use them... Quality seems to be good.
Rated B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 AM   #8

I heard that they are up there with Snap-On, and MAC.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
Tech Team Mod

Toptul are made in Taiwan? It is hard to compete with tools that come off of a truck...
Rated B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Hey guys, just reading this post. I was actually thinking of buying some of these. These are on sale at their canadian website. Prices look good. Will post once I get the tools and actually use them.
bimmer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Since they don't have trucks that runs around like SnapOn etc.. I rather stick with Proto, CT or Sears.. unless the price differential is huge.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #12

They are a Taiwanese company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMx2 View Post
toptul i think is a german/european company operated out of the USA, fairly new company (2005) .. i wouldnt say that its comparable to snap-on or mac tools, snap-on tools been in this trade for over 30 years, and mac tools about 20 years.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I got a few toptul products myself. they are great stuff, very good in price. You actually have to feel and see it in person to understand the quality of the products. The seller who sold it to me is local and he actually took the time to drive a few products to me to let me feel and see them before i bought them. His company name is BFB hand tools. If you want his contact info please pm me.

these are dynamic wrenches with a special open end design for more grip

i bought a set of ratchet wrenches. i love the finish on it. its satin chrome

xFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #14

The way I see a startup can succeed:
1. You either have a price war.
2. Have a truck like snap on or have a shop all over the place like CT or Sears.

You also get Lowe's (SnapOn rebrand) coming to town on the high end, and you get PA and Titan on the low end.

A blurb on TopTul http://www.wrenhandtools.com/about.html

To xFusion, do they provide calibration service for the torque wrench?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #15
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Hey guys you can get these tools locally at thetoolchest.ca
bimmer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #16

I don't see anything that is too different. It seems to cater to people that is starting out... vs what one would think as typical Snap On customers.

Also does anyone really hand out cc info to a new site these days? (They really need a Paypal option).

GL to them as there are tons of competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer06 View Post
Hey guys you can get these tools locally at thetoolchest.ca
Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
I don't see anything that is too different. It seems to cater to people that is starting out... vs what one would think as typical Snap On customers.

Also does anyone really hand out cc info to a new site these days? (They really need a Paypal option).

GL to them as there are tons of competition.
I agree with you, but tools is more of a preference thing. Back than if your a mechanic and you didnt have snap-on tools than you will look like a joke but its different now. Of course snap-on user will never use anything else. I'm also a snap-on , mac tool user myself, i bought Toptul as a extra set. I compared both tools and Toptul might even seem better. The affordable prices definitely worked for me too. Even if your just starting out as a tech or 10 years in the trade i think these Toptul stuff is very quality. pictures and stuff wont serve it justice. You really have to see it in person and feel it.
Like i said before if you really want to know what their quality is like just call sales rep. that help me and im pretty sure he can drive it to you to show you.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
RS controls my life!

The toolchest.ca carries very little stock and that's a big turnoff for me. As much as I'd like to support a local business, you're better off purchasing from wrenhandtools in WA as they offer a much greater variety, availability, and reliable customer service (I'm a happy customer myself).

Those ratcheting wrenches are sure bulky compared to most rat. wrenches out there though!
autobacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
you asked for it

now you got it

go here http://www.bfbhandtools.com/

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
RS controls my life!

Local competition!? Is there enough business to have two dealers in the Lower Mainland? Hrmm...

The BFB outfit has even less selection. Thumbs down for that!
autobacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #21
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

BFB should be putting more pics of their stock online soon enough.

I met the owner. He's a mech himself, thus knows what mechanics look for and what is needed.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
RS controls my life!

I'm sure Toptul tools work fine and are great, but i've never been a fan of asian made tools. Unless from japan. I'd rather stick with US made or maybe european brands. Now in saying that, yes i do have some non US and european made tools in my collection and work fine.
I'm sure it's just my old way of thought.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobacs View Post
Local competition!? Is there enough business to have two dealers in the Lower Mainland? Hrmm...

The BFB outfit has even less selection. Thumbs down for that!
Sorry autobacs i dont agree with you. i checked out both sites and i think BFB has alot more. They've only started like 3 weeks ago, they still havent post everything up yet. I personally purchased items from him, he seems like a cool fellow. Since it seems like hes gonna be a vendor/sponsor on the forum, why cant u give him some support.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #24
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

you do realize, majority of the tools out there are actually made overseas. they may have the final product finished somewhere else, but usually, even the raw materials are worldwide.

i still like snap on, dont doubt that but man, are those tools expensive. sure makes u think though, is it that expensive because of the material costs and costs to develop it, or is it because they feel they CAN charge that price simply because no one has tried to make a hand tool of that caliber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck View Post
I'm sure Toptul tools work fine and are great, but i've never been a fan of asian made tools. Unless from japan. I'd rather stick with US made or maybe european brands. Now in saying that, yes i do have some non US and european made tools in my collection and work fine.
I'm sure it's just my old way of thought.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 11-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #25

As I have pointed out before.. the way for Toptul to differentiate has to be the customer service and stock. I mean if you look at Craftsman, they are about 15% cheaper than CT on open stock items like non stock sized socket, but they never stock them. So if you rounded say a 36mm on a wheel bearing, it takes them forever to replace.. that's a PITA.

Yes, majority of the tools these days are from Taiwan like Toptul... I am pretty sure they also brand other lower end tools like Titan... which I have to say they style their packaging a lot like Stanley.

Selling tools in North America and Europe is much tougher than say in Asia, because intellectual property rights are more strictly enforced.. that's why Gearwrench corner such a huge market.. and one of the previous poster complains Toptul racheting wrenches are so thick.

I think SnapOn, Gearwrench are only the few places that are made in the USA (and Gearwrench only make the mechanic bits so their catalog is not very complete).

BFB claims they are the "Toptul Distributor in Canada" so do they have exclusive rights to Toptul? So other people are just resellers working under them?

Is BFB = Toptul_Honda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
you do realize, majority of the tools out there are actually made overseas. they may have the final product finished somewhere else, but usually, even the raw materials are worldwide.

i still like snap on, dont doubt that but man, are those tools expensive. sure makes u think though, is it that expensive because of the material costs and costs to develop it, or is it because they feel they CAN charge that price simply because no one has tried to make a hand tool of that caliber?

Last edited by godwin; 11-22-2009 at 02:52 PM.