REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Tech Archives (https://www.revscene.net/forums/tech-archives_196/)
-   -   Importing A Car from USA to CANADA (https://www.revscene.net/forums/48680-importing-car-usa-canada.html)

Gwilo 05-13-2002 06:41 PM

Importing A Car from USA to CANADA

READ THIS SITE FIRST

http://www.pcb.ca/vimp.asp

Importing a Vehicle into Canada

Transport Canada

For vehicles manufactured for sale in the US, check with The Registrar of Motor Vehicles @ 1-888-848-8240 to see if the vehicle is admissible in Canada. For all other vehicles call Transport Canada @ 1-800-333-0371. Websites: www.riv.ca or www.tc.gc.ca

Before leaving the USA:

There are special procedures to follow. Any self-propelled vehicle coming from the US must be reported to US Customs 72 hours prior to export from the US. This includes vehicles that are not licensed for the road such as excavators, bulldozers, golf carts, etc. Failure to do so will result in a $400.00 USD fine by US Customs. The vehicle must also stop at US Customs before it physically crosses into Canada. Copies of the bill of sale and the title (the front and back) must be faxed to US Customs and if no title is required then a letter from the exporting state's Department of Motor Vehicles stating that no title is required for that type of vehicle must be provided. You also need to have the supplier certify in writing that the sale is a bona fide sale and that the vehicle is not stolen. Fax to US Customs in Blaine, Wash. @ 1-360-332-2341 or phone 1-360-332-2632.

Canada Customs & Revenue Agency

For vehicles being imported from the US (must be registered in the US) there is no age restriction. For vehicles being imported from all other countries there are restrictions - contact Customs @ 1-800-461-9999 or 1-613-946-1520 to see if the vehicle is admissible. Also confirm what documentation is required and what value the charges will be assessed against. Website: www.ccra.gc.ca

Import Charges

Duty may apply to the vehicle - possible 6.1% duty
GST will be collected at the time of import - 7%
Excise Tax applies if there is air conditioning in the vehicle - $100.00
PST will be collected at the time the vehicle is insured
HST will be collected if applicable in that province.
RIV fees of $192.00 will be collected at time of import

CFIA - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Vehicle being imported from a country other than the USA may require special steam cleaning. Call 1-800-835-4486 to find out more details. Website: www.cfia-acia.agr.ca

Please contact Pacific Customs Brokers if you have any more questions.

Phone:
Toll-Free @ (888) 538-1566
Local (Vancouver) @ (604) 538-1566

Email: vehicles@pcb.ca

Also check out
Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV)
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Transport Canada.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...f/tp13136e.pdf

pizzaMR2 05-20-2002 11:18 AM

Re: Importing A Car from USA to CANADA

Quote:

Originally posted by Gwilo
READ THIS SITE FIRST

http://www.pcb.ca/vimp.asp

Importing a Vehicle into Canada

CFIA - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Vehicle being imported from a country other than the USA may require special steam cleaning. Call 1-800-835-4486 to find out more details. Website: www.cfia-acia.agr.ca

Very good site.

As for the CFIA part, ALL vehicles being imported from any country DOES require steam cleaning.

This is so that the car is free of any dirt or soil. Vehicles coming from Oregon and California are a MUST because of the recent "Sudden Oak Death"
Which means, that will mess up our trees and plants.

There is a $43 inspection chage per vehicle. If your car isnt' clean it's not coming in.

As for engine parts, this is excluded

For more information you can call:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency "Western Import Service Centre"

ph: 604-666-9240
Fax: 604-270-9247

JikJak 05-23-2002 11:39 PM

dam. so far u cant import lancers! i wonder why. hopefully they change that for 2003. i really wanna bring one in when it comes out.

pizzaMR2 05-25-2002 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JikJak
dam. so far u cant import lancers! i wonder why. hopefully they change that for 2003. i really wanna bring one in when it comes out.
That car probably isn't street leagal in BC....
The car you wnat to bring in has to be approved 1st

im_too_fast 09-21-2002 09:40 PM

So wat if da guy from da states is in VANCOUVER and is selling his car.. how much will i get taxed??

Ulic Qel-Droma 09-21-2002 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by im_too_fast
So wat if da guy from da states is in VANCOUVER and is selling his car.. how much will i get taxed??
the car is still officially a USA car though..

EgOne 09-22-2002 11:30 AM

what do i need to the owner to fax to customs? i phoned them
but im a little confused they said the title and sale receipt
what does that mean?

Bobby Digital 09-24-2002 10:28 PM

Ok, I have a question. There is this place in the states (I found their website once but can't seem to find it now) and they import Nissan Skylines into the US and sell them for about $90,000 (R34). They have done crash tests and EVERYTHING to bring it up to US specs. Now, this is considered a US car is it not? So can this car be imported into Canada since it is already at US specs?

pizzaMR2 10-02-2002 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bobby Digital
Ok, I have a question. There is this place in the states (I found their website once but can't seem to find it now) and they import Nissan Skylines into the US and sell them for about $90,000 (R34). They have done crash tests and EVERYTHING to bring it up to US specs. Now, this is considered a US car is it not? So can this car be imported into Canada since it is already at US specs?
This is Canada..not usa

we have our own standards that the vehicle needs to pass.
Reason why MR-S isn't allowed into Canada for sales

Gwilo 10-02-2002 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by im_too_fast

GST 7 % PST 7.5%

Paid when you transfer the car to your name.

JizzMasterZero 10-09-2002 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bobby Digital
The company that you're talking about is Motorex. It is considered a US car and is actually insured under a 240sx platform in California (where the company is based). It's still RHD so I don't know how Canadian customs are going to respond to that. As well, the company's statement is that you're basically on your own if you want to import it to Canada.

Of course, if anyone wants a dark grey R34 in so. california, i know someone selling one for ~53,000 US. PM me if interested.

prelude19 11-17-2002 09:40 PM

Quote:

GST 7 % PST 7.5%

Paid when you transfer the car to your name.

ok well what if i moved here a few months ago from california and decide to keep my car. i have owned it for over 2 years. will i still have to pay huge fees to get canadian plates.

someone told me if u can prove that u didnt just purchase the car from the states to bring back here and u actually have lived in the states and just moved here that u wouldnt have to pay alot of the fees and taxes. is this true

Prime 11-17-2002 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by prelude19
ok well what if i moved here a few months ago from california and decide to keep my car. i have owned it for over 2 years. will i still have to pay huge fees to get canadian plates.

someone told me if u can prove that u didnt just purchase the car from the states to bring back here and u actually have lived in the states and just moved here that u wouldnt have to pay alot of the fees and taxes. is this true

if the car you are bringing back (in this case, the prelude) had a equal canadian model, then you are allowed to bring it

if the car has been owned by you for more than six month, then you will not be taxed on it

prelude19 11-18-2002 12:48 AM

sweet...thats just what i wanted to hear. thanx bro

POONTANG 11-19-2002 09:36 AM

so would it be possible to import a toyotasoarer, since it has a canadian equiv.? (lexus SC400)

what about crx's, same boat?

i have been looking around and i have yet to see a site or source that proves or states you cannot import a skyline because it doesn't have a canadian equivalent and doesn't meet safety standards as opposed to the cars i listed

Gwilo 11-19-2002 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by prelude19

If you owned the car for 2 years in the US you should not have any problems bring it it tax/duty free. Also if the car is stock looking they may even wave the small complience issues if it is a US purchase.

But you will have to prove you owned the car for 2 years , insurance papers and registration will work.

Gwilo 11-19-2002 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by POONTANG
so would it be possible to import a toyotasoarer, since it has a canadian equiv.? (lexus SC400)

what about crx's, same boat?

i have been looking around and i have yet to see a site or source that proves or states you cannot import a skyline because it doesn't have a canadian equivalent and doesn't meet safety standards as opposed to the cars i listed

YOU CAN NOT BRING IN A FUCKING HIGH PERFORMANCE CAR FROM JAPAN THEY DO NOT MEET SAFETY AND EMISSION STANDARDS

POONTANG 11-19-2002 11:10 PM

Quote:

YOU CAN NOT BRING IN A FUCKING HIGH PERFORMANCE CAR FROM JAPAN THEY DO NOT MEET SAFETY AND EMISSION STANDARDS
PROVE THAT OR STFU

it doesn't say ANYWHERE that emission standards apply to cars over 15 years old from japan. PS you are a prick

Gwilo 11-20-2002 05:15 AM

Read all the posts in here and in VIC.

Check with Transport Canada and Customs

I booked apx 140 hours of company time doing reseach about 15 years ago on the subject.

Unlike the US, Canada does not have loopholes in it laws on this subject.

A fifteen year old car has to meet standard too, they are different than the ones for a new car.

Read the post in VIC about the guy who tried to bring in a car for "racing on track only" and used his lawyer and still could not bring in a car.

You are a 19 year old kid ...... do the math, before you could read I put in 3 and a half week of work into this subject. Met with Transport Canada and Canada Customs and the out come was NO.

There are some ways to do it but not with Japanese cars. Some of the German cars can make it in to Canada as well as some French and Italian cars.

So go back and read all the posts, waste 140 hours doing research and then bring a car in. But remember the 140 hours I worked was at a prefessional level and I knew who to contact , name of people with phone numbers. I just did not call Transport Canada Info line but to the field workers and supervisors.

But you will not take my word for it so do your own work.

And yes I do know the loopholes to bring in a car into Canada and have posted them but I do not think you qualify.

P.S. Also check out who is one of the Mod's in this Forum :)

POONTANG 11-20-2002 12:45 PM

Quote:

And yes I do know the loopholes to bring in a car into Canada and have posted them but I do not think you qualify.

P.S. Also check out who is one of the Mod's in this Forum :)

ok, thanks for the info.

i think its really misleading for customs to put that standard of admissability on the site. maybe it isn't......

POONTANG 11-20-2002 01:30 PM

from all the info i have read, this is what i gather.

the ONLY way to get an overseas car imported is to:

a)live in the country for 12 months

b)as a gift from a friend abroad

Quote:

Importing vehicles from countries other than the United States

You cannot import a vehicle that was manufactured to meet the safety standards of a country other than the United States or Canada, unless the vehicle is:

fifteen years or older (excludes buses);
a bus manufactured before January 1, 1971; or
entering Canada temporarily.
You must prove that your vehicle qualifies for one of the above exemptions.

Customs' law prevents you from importing into Canada from countries other than the United States any used or second-hand vehicle that was not manufactured in the current calendar year.

Transport Canada's law also prevents you from importing into Canada from countries other than the United States any vehicle that was not manufactured to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or the United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Exceptions
Taking into account both customs and Transport Canada requirements, in most cases, you can import a vehicle into Canada on the condition that the vehicle is designed, manufactured, tested, and certified to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or the United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, bears a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, has not been altered, and the certification from the original manufacturer is still on the vehicle, in any of the following situations:

Used or Second-Hand Vehicle less than fifteen years old or a bus manufactured on or after January 1, 1971.

- You are importing a vehicle after its year of manufacture if you received it as a gift from a friend or a relative abroad. The CCRA will have you sign a declaration certifying that no money changed hands, and no other valuable considerations were involved.

- If you lived in another country for at least 12 consecutive months immediately before you returned to Canada. (Refer also to the brochure called Moving Back to Canada.)

- Other exemptions may apply as outlined in Memorandum D9-1-11, Importation of Used or Second-Hand Motor Vehicles.

if i missed key info that prevents the above, please tell me, as you have dealt with these exceptions and know how they work (or don't work)

Gwilo 11-20-2002 03:47 PM

What you state is correct.

But when I met with Transport and Customs , off the record they said "we do not want these old cars in Canada" they will always find some obscure ruling or law to screw you.

They said if you bring it in under the rule that you lived overseas for the 1 to 2 year period they are very nice to you and you will have no problems if you do your paperwork right (and they will help you with it). But if you try to bring in the big $$ car or performance car under the fifteen year rule they do not like it and they will go to town on you.

They are sort of like the Richmond Cops with VI's your is bone stock and they still go after you. Cops, Transport Canada and Customs all fall under the same mind set of "I have the Uniform"

That is why I saw that the 15 year rule is not the way to bring a car in.

Makaveli (2pac) 12-27-2002 12:35 AM

What iF

What if A relative buys the car and brings it over as a gift or w/e and u present him with a gift of 30Gs would dat work?;)

prelude19 12-27-2002 11:24 AM

Quote:

If you owned the car for 2 years in the US you should not have any problems bring it it tax/duty free. Also if the car is stock looking they may even wave the small complience issues if it is a US purchase.

But you will have to prove you owned the car for 2 years , insurance papers and registration will work.

my car is far from stock looking but thanx for the info. is there anywhere i can go and get my car checked out to see if it passes with all the mods i have done. i know for a fact that the car is high enough, will pass air car, and i have had the exhuast tested in cali and its under 90db. i got 6 months left on my US insurance. when thats up i plan on going through the process of getting canadian insurance. before then i would like to go get my own test done to see if i have anything to fix.

thanx again

Gwilo 12-30-2002 10:10 AM

Re: What iF

Quote:

Originally posted by Makaveli (2pac)
What if A relative buys the car and brings it over as a gift or w/e and u present him with a gift of 30Gs would dat work?;)

Nice try but that will not work :)