REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Filipino Retaurants (https://www.revscene.net/forums/494090-filipino-retaurants.html)

Sam6140 09-24-2007 02:45 AM

Filipino Retaurants

I want to try Filipino cuisine soon for the first time. Can anyone recommend a place and some good menu choices?

I've heard of Pin Pin on Fraser and Rekados on Main. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

haymura 09-24-2007 07:23 AM

PinPin - pretty good and decent price
Rekados - good food but expensive
Sandy's Cuisine - good food and fair price
Aling Mary's - ok food, cheap, but atmosphere is not that great
Josefinas - good food, fair price
Aling Inings - good price, ok food
Goldilocks - expensive food, ok taste

I recommend Pinpin for taste n atmoshpere and Rekados if ur going for a little more class.

arsenic 09-24-2007 06:03 PM

What are some typical Filipino dishes to order?

haymura 09-24-2007 08:57 PM

some of the good ones (keep in mind most filipino foods are fatening so when eating filipino food, make sure ur not dieting) are:

-Kalderetang baka (stew Beef w/ potatoes)
-Kare Kare (ox tail in peanut butter sauce)
-Crispy Pata (crispy pork hock)
-Lechon Kawali (Roast Pork)
-Bangus (boneless milkfish)
-Sinigang (tamarind soup)
-Adobo (stew pork or chicken)
-sisig (sizzling stir fry pork or guts)

Princess121 09-24-2007 10:05 PM

I love goldilocks..especially their cupcakes....

AppleSugary 09-25-2007 06:18 PM

You gotta try the Cusina Manila in Joyce station. Sooo good and cheap!!! I see a lot of different nationalities going there.

El Bastardo 09-25-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Princess121
I love goldilocks..especially their cupcakes....
I'm gona second Princess' vote on this one. Goldilocks pretty much has the whole Filipino Bakery thing sewn up.

Don't expect it to be a great atmosphere tho. Its not bad, but its just a bakery with some chairs in a lobby. The kitchen part with the actual dishes seems a little tacked on.

Sam6140 09-25-2007 09:56 PM

I tried Josephine's on Main yesterday. Food was pretty good, although they were running out of the stuff they have in the warmers.

The only menu is the one on the wall, with no descriptions of the dishes or photos.

I guess the restaurant is aimed at filipino clientele.

Good prices. Slow service. Good food.

Pin Pin was closed due for over a week for holidays. ;(

Slif 09-29-2007 09:55 PM

if you're not sure what to get, find the oldest person behind the counter and ask them for recommendations -- she probably cooked everything there and will be more than happy to find something for you

if there's one thing Filipinos do almost better than anyone else - it's display genuine hospitality

jmvdesign 07-27-2010 02:50 PM

where's the best sisig in town?

neggo 07-27-2010 03:39 PM

^ Goto King near Joyce Station ;)

Gnomes 07-27-2010 03:48 PM

Wow, thanks for digging up this old thread. I was discussing with a friend the other day about the lack of filipino food in vancouver.

Phil@rise 07-27-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 7045675)
Wow, thanks for digging up this old thread. I was discussing with a friend the other day about the lack of filipino food in vancouver.

Millions of flips in van and so few places to eat.
I miss the filipino foods my Inang (in law) used to make pancit, lechon, chicken adobo, I even used to eat some weird pigs brain soup when she made it.
My favorite was fried needle fish mmmmmmm comfy food memories.

jmvdesign 07-28-2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neggo (Post 7045658)
^ Goto King near Joyce Station ;)

I found the sisig from Goto was extremely greasy. I also tried sisig from Pin Pin's stir fried and served in a sizzling plate was much better and crunchier. I'm gonna see if Little Ongpin has their own as well.

jmvdesign 07-28-2010 07:10 AM

BTW, any info on the supposedly rumored Jollibee opening in Seattle?

CorneringArtist 07-28-2010 08:13 AM

^ Add Chowking and Seafood City to that. They're all OPEN at Tukwila's Southcentre Mall, a bit south of Seattle. I for one, want to go 'cause I haven't had Jollibee in a long time..

valent|n0 07-28-2010 09:20 AM

There is one on glen and pacific street in coquitlam
they seem to always have a full room
never tried it thought

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=Kulinarya+Filipino+Eatery&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

fliptuner 07-28-2010 11:31 AM

Surprised no one suggested you guys try dinuguan (DE-NU-GU-UN).

It's a pork blood stew. Yes, it doesn't sound appetizing but try it on a bed of rice before you knock it.

Also try pancit palabok. Seafood sauce on white noodles with fried garlic, sliced eggs, green onions and pork rinds on top. Squeeze fresh lemon wedge over top before you mix.

Both dishes are great at Josefine's on Main.

neggo 07-28-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmvdesign (Post 7046572)
I found the sisig from Goto was extremely greasy. I also tried sisig from Pin Pin's stir fried and served in a sizzling plate was much better and crunchier. I'm gonna see if Little Ongpin has their own as well.

Ongpin does have their own, but I found theirs quite dry. Complete opposite of greasy...very crispy and crunchy, though, if that's what you're looking for.

Phil@rise 07-28-2010 11:54 AM

I suggested Pancit but I'd never try Dinuguan thats nasty I'd never try Balut either

fliptuner 07-28-2010 12:14 PM

A lot of my white friends like it before I tell them what it is.

Balut, yeah, gotta agree with you there. I'll eat the penoy (yolk) at the bottom but the actual fetus.... no thanks.

CorneringArtist 07-28-2010 12:36 PM

I used to hate dinuguan when I was a bit younger, but the taste grew on me. "Chocolate" pork for the win.

FN-2199 07-28-2010 01:34 PM

Goldilocks is very overrated when it comes to their hot dishes. PinPin, Cucina Manila, and Aling Ening come very close to "authentic" Filipino food.

If you want a great experience, go befriend a Filipino and get over there for dinner :D

woob 07-28-2010 01:41 PM

Rekados doesn't taste very authentic.
Pinpin was dece.

Van needs a legit made-to-order Filipino place instead of all the shiet that's just kept in the warmers all day (turo-turo).

Also, dinuguan is nasty hahahaha. Or maybe I'm too whitewashed?

Jer3 07-28-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neggo (Post 7046838)
Ongpin does have their own, but I found theirs quite dry. Complete opposite of greasy...very crispy and crunchy, though, if that's what you're looking for.

hm strange. i found ongpins completely the opposite. not crispy but more wet compared to pinpins. pinpin seems to chop their pork face/liver/whatever into tinier pieces while ongpin keeps them in pretty big pieces. pinpin still gets the vote for the best sisig in my opinion. ongpin does have better daing ng bangus though