REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Question Csc

Wondering who here on this forum has experience writing the Canadian Securities Course exam??? If so, what did you think? Was it difficult?
Advertisement
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Easy.
cspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
RS Veteran

What's your background?
I am writing it this summer..if you have any business courses, I hear it is a watered down BUSI 370 (finance).
Old 10-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #4

REALLY watered down.

My friend completed it a few years ago in his FIRST year of university.

Gives you an idea of it. Not hard at all. I am an Actuarial Science and Financial Economics major.

Last edited by cspec; 10-04-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #5

icic... thanks for the input guys... well, I never took any business related courses during my years at UBC... however, I do work for a hedge fund firm (got lucky really)... I just recently passed my Series 3 (it's for the States) but I want to pursue a career here in Vancouver. After travelling for a bit... I still like it here best... money is important but not important enough where I would feel miserable. I called in CSI (the institution for CSC) and they wouldn't exempt me from the exam Thanks for the swift response fellas
Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cspec
I am an Actuarial Science major.

Gigantic mad props, mang, Actuaries make a fuckton of money, 'cause it's sure as hell not easy. Good on you for doing something everyone needs but nobody knows about.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally posted by Skyliner
icic... thanks for the input guys... well, I never took any business related courses during my years at UBC... however, I do work for a hedge fund firm (got lucky really)... I just recently passed my Series 3 (it's for the States) but I want to pursue a career here in Vancouver. After travelling for a bit... I still like it here best... money is important but not important enough where I would feel miserable. I called in CSI (the institution for CSC) and they wouldn't exempt me from the exam Thanks for the swift response fellas
yeah the csc is not hard....u should do fine if you know stuff about finance......wut firm do u work for?
7Ma? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:18 AM   #8
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
i took mine back in august. its not hard, just tricky. its 100 Multi questions. some questions ask very specific details. other than that, donno what to say to help. Are you doing this thru correspondance? I actually tried this the first time, and took some pretests (old tests) and found i knew nothing. i ended up taking a tutorial course thru bcit.

you need 80% or higher for honours. but honestly, dont know what that actually means or if it really matters.

if you have financial background, it should be relatively easier on you, but however do not take it for granted.

vol1, mainly theory questions and scenario questions, ok an easy one, "if pat and bill start a business together, what type of business are they most likely in?" answer: "partnership (no, writing down G: teh gay one is not an answer =P) there are maybe a few questions on yields but pretty basic. you will breeze through this if you have a financial calculator.

vol2, more in depth, more specific rules, theories, and calculations. depending on the person, i personally found vol2 much easier than vol1, but a lot more memorizing of formulas. a non formula eg question "your a licensed ia in bc, ur clients are in calgary, u promise them this price, you promise them it will sell at this other price in this other time, and garantee a buyer, what laws have you broken?" answer: every fucking rule to make u lose ur license... ("exnay on the discussionay" is not an answer)

haha, one question i know i fucked up on was "edna is 87 years old, she wants to invest her nest egg in something safe, steady, what do u reconmend?"

i wrote down seg fund, why, haha, forgot, its in HER best interest, not mine

100 MP, 2hrs to write it. good luck.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #9

Thanks SG. Been very helpful, I guess I'll pick up the course material first and have a look at it... I might register for that tutorial course at BCIT afterall... seems helpful.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Graeme S
Gigantic mad props, mang, Actuaries make a fuckton of money, 'cause it's sure as hell not easy. Good on you for doing something everyone needs but nobody knows about.
Thanks, but it sucked the life outta me.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #11
RS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, but it sucked the life outta me.
Props x 4. What industry are you looking to work for? I'd kill to graduate from Actruarial science..
Old 10-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #12

Actuaries were at one point to be the second most desirable profession in Wall Street not so long ago I believe... I give you 2 thumbs up for completing that program
Old 10-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by fukamoto
Props x 4. What industry are you looking to work for? I'd kill to graduate from Actruarial science..
Already have a job lined up at an I-Banking job, I just need to complete a few more Act Sci exams.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #14

To the OP, maybe consider trying for CFA after. I am currently studying for that as well.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Already have a job lined up at an I-Banking job, I just need to complete a few more Act Sci exams.

I-banking will suck the life out of you too
P.dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

Holy shit, I just read up on what Actuaries do and I gotta say props on that man.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally posted by P.dub
I-banking will suck the life out of you too
no doubt. good cash in the end for sure. but for sure a very different life than anyone else...

"If Linden scores, we win"
ellzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #18
RS Lurker, I don't post!

boobs
2003 a-spec tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

So for the BCIT prep course.. I went to their website and one started up sept 02, and runs till dec. I am guessing the next one goes in January? thinking about taking this course to brush up on my skills.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Is anyone registering for the prep course at BCIT for january?

EDIT: can someone move this thread to the B&FF?

EDIT: omg I registered for the prep course. I am pretty excited and a little nervous haha

Last edited by bossxx; 11-05-2008 at 05:46 AM.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #21
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

who's ur instructor? I got Larry when i went thru. very cool guy. he will try to sell u on bombardier

im studying for my hksc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redliine View Post
Is anyone registering for the prep course at BCIT for january?

EDIT: can someone move this thread to the B&FF?

EDIT: omg I registered for the prep course. I am pretty excited and a little nervous haha

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redliine View Post
So for the BCIT prep course.. I went to their website and one started up sept 02, and runs till dec. I am guessing the next one goes in January? thinking about taking this course to brush up on my skills.
4 months for the CSC? Dood, seriously, don't waste your time and just read the books. It's not rocket science and anyone with half a brain should be able to study it for a few days and pass it.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #23

ya... don't waste your time taking those prep course for the CSC... a friend of mine passed both of them in a month!! (well, albeit the fact that she's designated with the CFA)
Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #24
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

i wouldnt say the exam is hard, but is nit picky.

the calculations are relatively easy if u have a business calculator. its just formula memorization thats the hardest.

make sure ur material is uptodate, there is always a few questions that test on the slight changes to the rules if there was a revision done.

if ur friend was a CFA, then she would have been 70% profficient already as there is a lot of theories and material covered by both titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
ya... don't waste your time taking those prep course for the CSC... a friend of mine passed both of them in a month!! (well, albeit the fact that she's designated with the CFA)

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #25

True, they do ask alot of trivial questions I heard. Just read the text, it's not hard to understand. Put in an hour or two a day and do the practice questions on the CSI website (think it's provided upon signing up for the CSC) and you should be fine.