REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #101
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't think many people would do it, and we'd look bad... just my opinion

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #102
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,494 Times in 4,891 Posts
I agree. The last RS blood drive kind of proves that. However, if it was part of the summer meet and people knew it would be at that event/location ahead of time, non-members might go there to donate. Attach prizes or giveaways to the blood drive and make it a focus this year?

Attaching a giveaway may be a good incentive for cheap Asians to donate blood. Is there some Feng Shui thing that keeps Asians from donating? Perhaps we should advertise giving blood is good luck - colour of blood being red and all. We all know the Chinese love the colour red. Throw in long life and prosperity while we're at it.

Prizes/giveaways should not be too big or else it will attract too many C-Lai's, LOLOLOLOL.

OK, the more I think about it, you're right. Bad Idea.

EDIT: Ok, the last RS blood drive wasn't a bad thing. It got me excited about donating, and I have been doing it every 56 days since.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #103
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I'd have to agree. I'd feel bad if they drove their mobile unit out there and only 4 or 5 people showed up.

I'm not sure what the stigma is with Asians and giving blood. I can perhaps understand the older generation and C-Lai's not giving blood because they don't know better/superstitious. However, the younger generation should be more educated and well aware of the benefits of giving blood. I can tell you from talking to my mom about it, she seems to be of the belief that your body doesn't regenerate blood after donating. I've told her that's not the case, and she's slowly catching on but it's stuff like this that you probably don't notice as much of the older generation of Asians donating blood. It's also a similar story with organ donation with Asians.

That said, in the last few years I've been giving blood, I've noticed more and more Asians at the clinic when I've gone which is a good thing. I've also noticed quite a few hot girls donating too if that's any incentive for some people
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #104
MG1

The organ thing, I can totally understand. You cannot convince people to give up a part of their body after death. The blood thing is something education can change. My mom has no problem with it. In fact, she just thinks it's a simple procedure. In and out, done.

Hot chicks, yes. It makes the time go a lot faster. I just wish the nurses there were a little better looking. Nice as they are personality wise............

BTW, I recall going to some Asian mall where people were given brochures on donating blood - how safe and harmless it was. They had some statistics up on presentation boards. How many Chinese people donated and how many required blood. Not sure how successful it was. Younger generation for sure catch on.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #105
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
When they brought the model unit to UBC the wait was a couple hours long to donate, I'm sure people would be happy to donate if it was made convenient enough. If there is a legitimate concern that people won't donate lets start a poll to get an answer of who would.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #106
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

ahh, nothing like saving two lives while sitting on a couch

...while i was there, i noticed that we had a revscene group on the wall of the oak donation clinic, anyone know how i can join?
A.Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Finch View Post
ahh, nothing like saving two lives while sitting on a couch

...while i was there, i noticed that we had a revscene group on the wall of the oak donation clinic, anyone know how i can join?
To have your donation counted with Revscene, go to

www.blood.ca/partnersforlife

Our partner ID is

REVS008555 (those are zeros).

Credit goes to 89blkcivic - he posted this a few pages back.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #108
MG1

I went today and received my "10" pin.

I was in and out in under 40 minutes.

This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #109
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
I'd have to agree. I'd feel bad if they drove their mobile unit out there and only 4 or 5 people showed up.

I'm not sure what the stigma is with Asians and giving blood. I can perhaps understand the older generation and C-Lai's not giving blood because they don't know better/superstitious. However, the younger generation should be more educated and well aware of the benefits of giving blood. I can tell you from talking to my mom about it, she seems to be of the belief that your body doesn't regenerate blood after donating. I've told her that's not the case, and she's slowly catching on but it's stuff like this that you probably don't notice as much of the older generation of Asians donating blood. It's also a similar story with organ donation with Asians.

That said, in the last few years I've been giving blood, I've noticed more and more Asians at the clinic when I've gone which is a good thing. I've also noticed quite a few hot girls donating too if that's any incentive for some people
actually that stigma is more towards the oriental side of the asians.
the Sikh community donates a LOT of blood, if you look at the boards at the clinic there are tons of donations from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
I went today and received my "10" pin.

I was in and out in under 40 minutes.
Good stuff do you go to the one on Oak? I'm due for one, but I'm a little under the weather so i plan to donate next week. I just got my "3" earlier this year lol,

trying to get my family and friends into, but they don't seem too interested.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #110
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
Good stuff do you go to the one on Oak? I'm due for one, but I'm a little under the weather so i plan to donate next week. I just got my "3" earlier this year lol,

trying to get my family and friends into, but they don't seem too interested.
Yes, the one on Oak. Lots of parking and they kind of know me now. It's like walking into Cheers, LOL.

My favourite pricker is Jas. She's really good with the needle and knows my veins well.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #111

Quote:
Yes, the one on Oak. Lots of parking and they kind of know me now. It's like walking into Cheers, LOL.

My favourite pricker is Jas. She's really good with the needle and knows my veins well.
i only go to that location as well, i haven't even bothered to see if there's a closer location to where I live.

i'm not sure of any of their names, but i haven't had a bad experience yet, as i barely feel the needle go in.

we should have a tiny gathering in two months
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #112

^ one of them had to pick twice on my friend...

she was not happy.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #113

yeah im young and dunno shit, but i wanna give some blood. How does it work? Do i gotta sign up? Appointment? or is it just go in and done.
Sensations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensations View Post
yeah im young and dunno shit, but i wanna give some blood. How does it work? Do i gotta sign up? Appointment? or is it just go in and done.
It's best to make an appointment, especially if you plan to go in on the weekend. Just tell them it's your first time and they'll be extra gentle with you.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #115

ohh okies awesome. ohh yeah one more thing u think i can drive afterwards?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensations View Post
ohh okies awesome. ohh yeah one more thing u think i can drive afterwards?
Yep. I drive home all the time. Just make sure you rest up after you donate and enjoy the cookies and juice. If you feel woozy/dizzy don't drive. If you want to be sure, bring someone with you.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #117

alright thanks man appreciate it
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #118
MG1

You basically go there and fill out forms and answer a battery of questions. They just want to know that your blood is good to give. As in no aids, weird monkey diseases, etc.

They ask you pointed questions, like have you been to prison, had sex with hookers, touched monkeys and their fluids, etc. They also screen you for these things via sample of your blood. If you have aids or whatever, they will notify you and the authorities. If you have nothing to hide, then you're good to go.

You don't need an appointment, but it helps. When you get to reception they will give you a folder with your info on it. Since you are new, they will ask you for ID to make sure you are who you say you are. They will put you into their database and prick you to see if your blood has enough iron.

You then go to a booth to fill in the top half of a long ass, fill in the square type questionnaire. After that, you wait for a nurse to take you into an interview room to ask you the weird questions. They take your body temperature and blood pressure. They then give you a couple of stickers. One that is a "Yes" and one that is a, "No. " These stickers are barcoded and look similar. The nurse leaves while you put whichever sticker you choose onto the form (you discard the unused sticker into the garbage can). I believe your blood will be taken either way and nobody, including the nurse, will know except for the people who check the paperwork later if it's a yes or a no.

Before you go and give blood, make sure you have eaten and drink plenty of water. Water fattens up your veins, so they can find it easier. Avoid caffeine, as it shrinks the veins -- that's what I was told, so no coffee or coke.

It's good that you want to give blood. I hope you go through with it. Let us know and you will get thanks by the regular RS blood donors. We will welcome you to the elite club, LOL.

BTW, I hope I didn't scare you, LOL. You basically go there and fill out forms and answer a battery of questions. They just want to know that your blood is good to give. As in no aids, weird monkey diseases, etc.

They ask you pointed questions, like have you been to prison, had sex with hookers, touched monkeys and their fluids, etc. They also screen you for these things via sample of your blood. If you have aids or whatever, they will notify you and the authorities. If you have nothing to hide, then you're good to go.

You don't need an appointment, but it helps. When you get to reception they will give you a folder with your info on it. Since you are new, they will ask you for ID to make sure you are who you say you are. They will put you into their database and prick you to see if your blood has enough iron.

You then go to a booth to fill in the top half of a long ass, fill in the square type questionnaire. After that, you wait for a nurse to take you into an interview room to ask you the weird questions. They take your body temperature and blood pressure. They then give you a couple of stickers. One that is a "Yes" and one that is a, "No. " These stickers are barcoded and look similar. The nurse leaves while you put whichever sticker you choose onto the form (you discard the unused sticker into the garbage can). I believe your blood will be taken either way and nobody, including the nurse, will know except for the people who check the paperwork later if it's a yes or a no.

Before you go and give blood, make sure you have eaten and drink plenty of water. Water fattens up your veins, so they can find it easier. Avoid caffeine, as it shrinks the veins -- that's what I was told, so no coffee or coke.

It's good that you want to give blood. I hope you go through with it. Let us know and you will get thanks by the regular RS blood donors. We will welcome you to the elite club, LOL.

BTW, I hope I didn't scare you, LOL

Last edited by MG1; 03-23-2011 at 10:44 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #119

What 89blkcivic said.

All in all, it takes about an hour from beginning to end. They take about 600mL of blood from you. Your body contains about 6L of blood so it's not a huge amount by any means.

When you get up off the seat, try to get up slowly Sit yourself on the side of the chair and make sure you feel OK before you actually stand on your feet.

It actually isn't that bad, but it's good to take some precautions if you've never donated before and are unsure of how your body will handle it.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #120
MG1

I'm a diabetic (type II) and one day, I gave blood without having eaten anything in the morning. After I gave blood, I felt dizzy - my blood sugar level must have been super low. Almost passed out, in fact. I made it to the rest area and ate as fast as I could. Not thinking straight, I headed to the washroom. I rested there until my lightheadedness went away. I avoided some embarrassment there. Fricken passing out in public after giving blood. Sheesh........... would have looked like a big pansy.

The washrooms there are like those in hospitals. They have emergency cords in case you have difficulty, so it was all good.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #121

Quote:
I'm a diabetic (type II) and one day, I gave blood without having eaten anything in the morning. After I gave blood, I felt dizzy - my blood sugar level must have been super low. Almost passed out, in fact. I made it to the rest area and ate as fast as I could. Not thinking straight, I headed to the washroom. I rested there until my lightheadedness went away. I avoided some embarrassment there. Fricken passing out in public after giving blood. Sheesh........... would have looked like a big pansy.

The washrooms there are like those in hospitals. They have emergency cords in case you have difficulty, so it was all good.
yea they take it donating blood quite seriously, and are always trying to make sure you're fine afterwards.

i like bugging the volunteers afterwards, as they're usually quite young and get embarassed easily and aren't quick enough for my witless comments.

Sensations you're over 110 lbs right? lol isnt' there also a stipulation on age as well?
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 06-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #122

Got my number 4 done, and got two friends to come with me

it only took me 6:24 this time

btw, all newbies today and it hurt.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #123

im fucking horrible.. i haven't been there in a while

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #124

Going in tomorrow to do mine. Hopefully it won't be the rookies working tomorrow.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
im fucking horrible.. i haven't been there in a while
this last visit took me 2 months of procrastinating to get to, i should be at #5 by now, but i kept getting sick, and then playoffs and school agh.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
This post thanked by: